CO Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous 2017 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2017, 09:13 AM   #21

Name: Jim
Trailer: Scamp
Colorado
Registry
Hi Dave and Paula,

If you are open to some dispersed camping in the Buena Vista area, just south of Leadville, I can show you a couple of spots near town on the old Colorado Midland railroad grade road. Further north on that road is one of my all-time favorite dispersed camping spots that I don't tell anyone about.

At the first one that is larger and has some trees, you can walk down to the Arkansas River. At the much smaller one further on, it is right on the river, but only a couple of campers can get in there.

There is also a developed campground not far from there also.

Those dates work for me and would be nice to see you again.

Jim
Scamper Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #22

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
There is also a large dispersed camping area just west of Clear Creek Reservoir about halfway between Leadville and Buena Vista. It does have a pit toilet but no other services, not even a dumpster.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #23

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Jim, secret places from locals sound great. There were a few others that stated the dates would work for them, but they never gave a preference as where they would like to camp. Not to give away your secret spots, where would you like to share camping with approximately 5 rigs if they all showed up?
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 06:34 PM   #24

Registry
Scamper Jim, It sounds like the plan is coming together. I'll await your directions as where the gathering will take place.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-10-2017, 08:27 PM   #25

Colorado
Registry
I was just minding my own business when...

Wwwwhhatt, wwwhhhoo, hooow did I get myself into being the tour guide? That was slick David! But really, I will enjoy showing the area to out of towners if you all decide you would like to try that.

The area all the way from Interstate 70 down through Leadville, Buena Vista and down to Salida is a rally great area. Plenty so see and do and several dispersed camping sites. It’s about 2.5 hours from Denver and is a quick get-away without driving all the way to Durango, Silverton, Lake City, etc. for great views. The road over Independence Pass to Aspen is south of Leadville about half way to Buena Vista. There is also Cottonwood Pass out of Buena Vista, and a whole lot of other roads to take to incredible places. You will see why Colorado's largest business is tourism.

Dispersed camping is nice since no reservations or payments have to be made. Whether just a few, or many show up, it won’t matter. Just pull in, set up and enjoy the setting and great views.

The site is about 3 miles north of Buena Vista on the old Midland Railroad roadbed. At the traffic light (there is only one) in town on Hwy 24, go about 3 or 4 blocks east to I believe Colorado Ave. (I will check for sure before the get together). Turn left and follow the road. It is asphalt at first then turns to gravel after the houses. Continue through the two tunnels. After the second one, you will see a very large rock ahead on the left. That’s where you want to go. Enter on the right side of the rock and you are there! Don’t drive in on the left side of the rock as that is for those who put in or take out for rafting and tenting. If you arrive during the week, the site is usually pretty empty.

There are no services such as a pit toilet, garbage, or water, so each has to be self-contained. However, you are only about 3 miles from Buena Vista so it’s easy to get food from a City Market (Kroger) food store at big city prices, not tourist town prices. Also has a large, new Ace Hardware, Tractor Supply, Loves truck stop, and many local mom and pop restaurants and coffee shops. No franchised ones in the entire town. Has a new library with free wifi and really nice seating, It is boondocking without being in the boonies unless you want to go further into it.

For those who need a Wal-Mart fix, there is one down in Salida, otherwise, Buena Vista has everything you need.

I will post some photos of the site and surrounding area as soon as I get up there this Spring so everyone has an idea of what it is like.

If you decide to use a different venue for the get-together, that is fine also.

Jim
Old 03-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #26

Registry
Jim, you are awesome! We will have been in "Taylor Park Campground" for 4 nights, then "White Star" campground July 14-18, so it sounds reallly close.
Thank you Jim. It will be great to meet up with other eggs.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-11-2017, 09:17 AM   #27

Colorado
Registry
Dave,

Oh sure, now the praise after the sneaky deed is done!

To get to Taylor Falls campground, you probably turned right at the traffic light in Buena Vista and drove up Cottonwood Pass. Next time, turn LEFT at the light and you will be close to the site.

I am guessing that the site can accommodate at least a dozen campers, probably more

Btw, no 4x4 is at all needed as it is a very level road as well as are the campsites.

Some will probably want to try the white water rafting on the Arkansas. There are several professional outfitters in Johnson Village just 2 miles south of Buena Vista. Leadville is the headwaters of the Arkansas River and the epicenter of white water rafting. Plan on getting wet! Also, bring your fly fishing rod for some trout fishing close to the site.

We should probably think of a name for the rally so it is not confused with the Rock Mountain Rendezvous.

Jim
Old 03-11-2017, 12:44 PM   #28

Registry
Jim, how about "Free Range Egg Gathering". "Rocky Mountain High Grade Egg Cluster". Or "Western Slope Nesters".

Seriously though, I was not trying to High Jack the Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous, but rather just trying to find out if they were going to be gathering at all this year while we were in Colorado. Since they are not gathering this year, I wanted to see who would like to get together with us while we are in the Leadville Colorado area July 24-28th. We will be attending the "All 4 Fun" event put on by the "Mile High Jeep Club" in Leadville starting the 29th. Would love to see everyone again and perhaps some new attendees.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #29

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Most eggs at the store are 'grade A'. This sounds like RR-grade eggs to me. Just kidding.

Dave, that Jeep event sounds fun, but wowser it's not cheap! $345. Good thing I don't own a Jeep, to avoid being overly tempted.

Jim, nice tip on the location, thanks! I'll have to file that one away in my mind for the future.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 02:13 PM   #30

Colorado
Registry
Dave,

I made a note, don't put you on the event-naming committee!!

How about Rocky Mountain Booner Rally? No? seems like we have naming-block going on. Please, someone help us out here.

It may be an event held just this year, or whenever the Rendezvous group does not have a planned meet. No need to compete with them, rather they are invited and welcome to join in if any find themselves suffering rally-withdrawal symptoms this summer.

The event could be kept real simple; no registration, reservations, or costs. Since there are so many things for each to do on their own in the area, there would be only a Meet-and-Greet and viewing other campers for planned events. I could check to see if there are group rates for white water rafting if some are interested. It has been at least 15 years since I did it last.

Jim
Old 03-11-2017, 02:36 PM   #31

Registry
Thanks Jim. A no name group gathering is just what I was going for. Just a chance to get together with like mind camping friends.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-11-2017, 03:24 PM   #32

Name: Ray
Trailer: Escape 19’ (had Scamp 16’)
Colorado
We are interested as well. We will be fresh off a trip to Yellowstone/Teton area, so good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, we plan to join you.
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 04:11 PM   #33

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Colo Rec All

Free to you.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:52 PM   #34

La Reunión Buena de Buena Vista.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #35

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
La Reunión Buena de Buena Vista.
That has a nice ring to it.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #36

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
We are interested as well. We will be fresh off a trip to Yellowstone/Teton area, so good Lord willin' and the creek don't rise, we plan to join you.
That's great. We'll see you there.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-12-2017, 06:33 PM   #37

Colorado
Registry
Dave,

Now look what you started. All one would have to do is add a "t" in Glenn's proposed name, and the rally would sound like a meeting of proctologists! "Colo rec (t)all". Do you get it??? Good one Glenn, you must have been saving that one up for quite some time waiting for just the right time to spring it on someone. You do realize you have some issues don't you

And then we have that all-around handy, easy to remember proposed name: La Reunión Buena de Buena Vista.

Just for that, I will use that name (and I am unanimous in that), to post a notice of and some information about the rally in the Rallies, Get Togethers, Molded Meets area of the Forums area. It's a work in progress so just let me know if you want to add or delete or clarify anything.

Jim
Old 03-12-2017, 06:48 PM   #38

Registry
Thanks again Scamper Jim. Looking forward to the new thread updates.
Dave & Paula
Old 03-12-2017, 08:05 PM   #39

It will be muy bien!
Old 05-01-2017, 05:53 AM   #40

Name: Kevin
Trailer: casita
New Hampshire
We are coming from NH with our 17' Casita for a two month visit to CO and NM. We wish we could join this gathering, but won't get to LEadville region until ~Aug 21. Maybe next time!

Awaywego!
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote