BC Route 66 - BC return 2014 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Would you consider joining me?
BC to LA? 0 0%
LA to Chicago? 0 0%
Chicago - Calgary, AB? 0 0%
Calgary to Kelowna, BC 1 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-20-2013, 11:06 PM   #1

Name: Layton
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Route 66 - BC return 2014

I left BC to ride and write articles for a motorcycle magazine about the lower 48 to celebrate my 60's birthday and 46 years of riding, but crashed the bike after just three days. After an remarkable recovery (Amazon - If You Are Going to Lead Don't Spit) I could no longer ride and bought a 38 ford convertible instead. The wife and I have been all over Canada and the US in our motor home but next year for my 65th birthday I want to travel from Kelowna, BC to LA then follow Route 66 to Chicago in my 38. I just bought a 13' Boler which I have to refurbish and hope to leave June 1st next year... anyone want to join or meet me on the way?
Attached Thumbnails
$T2eC16VHJI!E9qSO8)P7BRg!eUu!wg~~48_20.JPG   38 Ford.jpg  

Attached Images

Back Road Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:00 AM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Sounds like a great trip! Be sure to take your time on Route 66 and get off the interstate to visit the little towns on the original route. We've followed bits of the route from Illinois to New Mexico, and you'll find that some of the old road is gone now, replaced by the interstate, but there are numerous frontage roads that approximate the route.
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
Great gobs and snot rockets! I bet your roostertail doesn't taste that great, either.

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:25 AM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
I've driven parts of old route 66, most of it is now I-40. There are sections of the old road left you'll have to have good maps and watch for signs to get on the older sections. Some of it is pretty rough, but well worth driving. Many of the little towns found on the maps don't exist. Don't depend on them for gas and food.

Be sure and plan for several hours in Oatman, AZ, gun fights at high noon, wild burros (the breathing kind) walking the street begging for food, lots of little shops.

I hope you have a great trip.
Old 05-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You may want to check out some Hot Rod sites as there are often trips they do as a group each year down all or parts of Route 66. Many of them pull fiberglass trailers when doing the trip. One of them is the Route 66 Fun Run from Seligman to Topock/Golden Shores. Open to all street legal vehicles including RV's

I lave only done sections of it through Calf. & AZ and also found as Byron did that some of the towns along it have pretty well vanished.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
You might be interested in this.
23rd Annual Stater Bros. Route 66 Rendezvous
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:32 PM   #7

Name: Layton
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back Road Scholar View Post
I left BC to ride and write articles for a motorcycle magazine about the lower 48 to celebrate my 60's birthday and 46 years of riding, but crashed the bike after just three days. After an remarkable recovery (Amazon - If You Are Going to Lead Don't Spit) I could no longer ride and bought a 38 ford convertible instead. The wife and I have been all over Canada and the US in our motor home but next year for my 65th birthday I want to travel from Kelowna, BC to LA then follow Route 66 to Chicago in my 38. I just bought a 13' Boler which I have to refurbish and hope to leave June 1st next year... anyone want to join or meet me on the way?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Sounds like a great trip! Be sure to take your time on Route 66 and get off the interstate to visit the little towns on the original route. We've followed bits of the route from Illinois to New Mexico, and you'll find that some of the old road is gone now, replaced by the interstate, but there are numerous frontage roads that approximate the route.
Thanks that is why I am planning now. I just found this site and it looks like a great resource if I can figure out how to navigate it.
Back Road Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Watch Billy Connolly's Route 66 on Discovery World ( at least in Canada ).
More info: Billy Connolly's Route 66 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Will give you some ideas of what to explore.

Google Billy Connolly's Route 66 for links to video clips.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 06:16 AM   #9

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Cancelled!!!!!

Due, in part, to poor city management, and questionable political issues, the 2013 Route 66 event has been canceled by the City of San Bernardino. It's in the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebaz View Post
You might be interested in this.
23rd Annual Stater Bros. Route 66 Rendezvous

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #10

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Canadian route 66 association

Hi
We are hoping to do the tour in 2015 probably in May. I want to take part in as many of the events along the way as I can find.
I found and joined the Canadian Route 66 Assoc. www.route66.ca There are lots of links from there also.
Most of the members are from your side of the country and seem to travel some of the route more than once a year. Check in with them. They have meeting places either on the road or at an event if they flew in.
I joined because we too want someone to travel with, going west. They all seem to be going your way, east. Norm is working hard to finish our 34 Desoto airflow for then. We will pull the oxygen.
That said we will be in Springfield Mo. for an airflow meet June 24-29, 2014. A number of cars will be driving in from California. I can hook you up if that is when you will be in the area then. The airflow will be trailered for that trip.
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Oklahoma has a nice stretch of old 66 you can drive, from Oklahoma City almost to the MO state line. Arcadia is home to an historic round, red barn that will make a great photo; and while in town be sure to stop at POPS and check out the zillion brands of soda pop on hand. Catoosa has the famous Blue Whale. At Foyil, detour about 4 miles west to see the Totem Pole Park, another unique photo op. And if you're brave enough, stop in Vinita at Clanton's for a meal with some calf fries.

Let us know your schedule through this area. Maybe I can get a gander at your convertible.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:16 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
One link for here:

Oklahoma Route 66 Association

Museum:

http://www.okhistory.org/sites/route66

Road Segments:

http://www.nps.gov/nr/travel/route66..._segments.html

They will send you free brochures: