ON route 66 May-June 2015 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2015, 08:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
route 66 May-June 2015

We are planning a trip on the Mother Road from Ontario to Santa Monica pier and up the coast for a ways and on to Bend Oregon We need to leave here just after Mother's Day to get to Bend by June 17 for Airflow Club of America Meet. With our date we completely miss every FG get together. We are planning on Trudy and Rod joining us with their oxygen in Oregon. Anybody else interested in sharing a few miles with us? We want to hit a cruise night or two or a car show if we can as our tow vehicle is a 1934 Desoto Airflow.
We don't know anyone else who has camped on route 66.
Perhaps this should have gone in General Chat? Moderators move as needed please.
thanks jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman and jean mulloy View Post
We are planning a trip on the Mother Road from Ontario to Santa Monica pier and up the coast for a ways and on to Bend Oregon We need to leave here just after Mother's Day to get to Bend by June 17 for Airflow Club of America Meet. With our date we completely miss every FG get together. We are planning on Trudy and Rod joining us with their oxygen in Oregon. Anybody else interested in sharing a few miles with us? We want to hit a cruise night or two or a car show if we can as our tow vehicle is a 1934 Desoto Airflow.
Perhaps this should have gone in General Chat? Moderators move as needed please.
thanks jean
We live in IllAnnoy ( almost on the mother road) and a lot of old 66 is still open with a lot attractions.
There are lots of great cruise nights and a very active Route 66 club in our area. If you like , contact me direct and I will see what specific info I can come up with for the dates you have in mind!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 09:04 PM   #3

adventuretrek tours

btw I did find a company that is leading a tour on route 66 this summer. For $ 5,300 2 people can join, bringing their own TV and trailer, buying all your own meals. Guide books (already have them thanks) and admissions over 22days included. Seems just a tad steep.
I wasn't able to find any car groups doing trip, or any route 66 big events during that time either.
jean
Old 01-07-2015, 05:33 AM   #4

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i last drove the mother road about 10 years (or more) ago. i didn't find a lot to do along the 66 and the road itself was sometimes difficult to find. i was traveling in a '74 vw beetle with but a tent and had no issues finding a place to pitch the tent alongside the road for the night. i don't remember very many campgrounds along the way but i'll never forget that last 50 miles or so coming down the hills into california. a boy racers' dream that was so much fun i considered turning around and doing it again. then i was on the la freeway and in the beetle that was a bit intimidating.

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 06:10 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
thanks jean
Hi: norman and jean mulloy... Can't comment about any campgrounds along Rte. 66 but I don't think you'll find any Desoto Dealers!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #6

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Still a lot of Route 66 left in New Mexico. In pix here its running parallel to I-40, between ALB and Moriarity. In ALB the road is known as Central Avenue, goes right through Old Town.
Attached Thumbnails
Midway14.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:28 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: I don't think you'll find any Desoto Dealers!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Well actually there is a Desoto Hair Salon, with a big finned Desoto on roof. Business is closed and for sale, unfortunately like a lot of other places in small towns.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:29 AM   #8

Thanks Floyd. PM sent.
jean
Old 01-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #9

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Thumbs up

Be sure not to miss Lucille's Road House located right off of 40 at 1301 North Airport Road, Weatherford, OK 73096. Good old time dinner. Lot's of history about Route 66. Full service steak house as well with full adult beverage selections. I ate breakfast there on my way out to Utah and was full for a week!!
Travel safe, enjoy the ride. Best. Shorty sends...
Chuck Dirnsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #10

Thanks Chuck, I will add Lucilles to our itinerary.
jean
Old 03-08-2015, 01:26 PM   #11

Name: Tyler
Trailer: 72 Cloud
Wisconsin
Registry
Route 66 - Get the guide

My family and I did a large majority of Route 66 in 2013 and had an amazing time. We had just over 2 weeks to explore it and thought that would be enough and we were wrong, in two weeks we only scratched the surface. My one advice to you is purchase a Route 66 guide, I had the ez guide I purchased from Amazon but then we picked up another alone the route at one of the many gift shops we came across. If you want to see as much of the original route as possible and learn about all the little stops (some still there and some long gone) then the guides are not something you want to skip out on as they explain so much.
We camped the entire route except for staying at a Holiday Inn in St. Louis and finding camping stops along the way is no issue at all, still lots of options but again that depends on what you like. Some of the campgrounds were a little dated but for us that is perfect, we do not enjoy paying over $40 a night to camp like some of the bigger and fancier campgrounds charge.
We hit up gift shops, antique shops, museums, road side attractions, national parks, state parks, city parks, and just about everything thing else we came across and do not regret any of the stops we made. We have tons of memories, tons of pictures, and stories to tell for the rest of our lives. Plus we are planning on doing it again in another few years just because there were so many things we missed.
I hope your trip is wonderful and enjoy the mother road.
EddyEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #12

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
The demise of Route 66 always reminds me of a quote from Charles Kuralt, which is used as a tag line by one of the Escape Forum members:

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."
Old 03-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #13

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
Robert I agree completely with that statement. On our way back from the valley I was only on interstates for a bit before San Antonio, then up to San Marcos, again some from Temple to Waco, then no more all the way to Leavenworth. I did see a lot more than I would ever see by taking the Interstates and traffic is less and not many crazy drivers. My only issue is that in TX there never seems to be warnings of speed limit changes ahead, it just changes and if you miss a sign you can get caught too easily for inadvertently speeding.

Adrian

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:28 PM   #14

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
I pay attention to my TomTom GPS, which for the most part tells you your speed and warns you when you exceed the speed limit. Also warns of red light cameras (not that I need that )
Old 03-10-2015, 09:04 PM   #15

Name: Imogene
Trailer: 2013 Casita
Missouri
Oh dear, this will age me but i can remember traveling 66 from flagstaff, az east to where ever on family trips to see grand parents in NH. then the long trip back to Az. Was just on parts of 66 2 weeks ago.....a lot that i remember as a kid is no longer or if still there is slowly melting into nothing. The "new" 66 ain't like the "old" 66.

On my bucket list is to travel one of the few remaining east -west road still out there....route 60, although it occassionally merges for short distances with the inter-state system. Tracking it on a map it goes from coast to coast and is called rt. 60 all the way. I live a block so. of rt. 60 in south central missouri so one of these days i'll get on it with tug and tow, flip a coin, and either head right or left for the 1st half of the journey. Then come home and do the other half. LOL.
Imo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 11:37 PM   #16

Name: Robert
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Past Tents" 2018 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB SuperCrew
Arkansas
Registry
route 66 May-June 2015

Welcome to Texas Adrian. But, the troopers and county sheriffs here are no way near as aggressive as in some other states. All I can say is NEVER speed through Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-11-2015, 12:28 AM   #17

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
Quote:
Well actually there is a Desoto Hair Salon, with a big finned Desoto on roof. Business is closed and for sale, unfortunately like a lot of other places in small towns.
The store is in Ash Fork, AZ

Then you have the Snow Cap (good burgers) in Seligman, AZ. There is also a KOA in Seligman (little extra info)
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 01:42 AM   #18

Name: Pat
Trailer: Escape 17B Sold 5/2016
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan View Post
All I can say is NEVER speed through Utah.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Yep, I learned the hard way too
2012 4Runner Ltd
OneOleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:24 PM   #19

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
We are doing Route 66 as I type this. Left on Apr 25 and made it to the Pier on Mothers Day. Driving 3 old cars but no camping. Hotel all along the way. Very nice trip.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote