MI Sept 7-9 2012: michigan algonac glassic egg scramble! - Page 8 - Fiberglass RV

View Poll Results: what ya wanna eat????
roast goat 6 22.22%
roasted turkey,chicken 21 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #99

Name: Dave
Trailer: Trillium
Newfoundland & Labrador
[QUOTE=Pam Garlow;317714]
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
ok lets do a talley,,,,, so far

scouter dave 58 trillium

Scouter Dave is on site fifty-five (55). Received confirmation in the mail today.

Old 06-28-2012, 06:24 AM   #100

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
well i am currently planning on some sort of cooking extravaganza for saturday. my plan is to buy, build, create, or somehow come up with a roasting spit large enough to cook for ,,say 30 people. then decide what to cook, turkey, chicken, goat,,, ( actually always sort of wanted to roast a whole goat,,but this might not be the place to get adventurous with food), ham?hmm maybe ribs,,, ?
then i need to test it all out before we do it in september as i would be broken hearted if i don't make you all something spectacular to eat.
i have seen a couple items i'm very interested in at a website called "spitjack" i just have to calculate the poundage that we will want to cook. i assume since it will be potluck we will have plenty of dishes to pass around from 13 trailers,, so for a main meat thing,, what do you guess? 1/2 pound per trailer? 1 pound? i'm leaning towards 1 pound per trailer finished product, so really i don't need a monster rotisery something around 15 to 30 pound capacity should do.
sort of hard to guess having not tried this before.

so any ideas or sugjestions would be welcome.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #101

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
...so for a main meat thing,, what do you guess? 1/2 pound per trailer? 1 pound? i'm leaning towards 1 pound per trailer finished product, so really i don't need a monster rotisery something around 15 to 30 pound capacity should do.
sort of hard to guess having not tried this before.

so any ideas or sugjestions would be welcome.
Hard to say, 1 lb. after cooking for ribs is not nearly as much meat as say 1 lb of chicken. No clue on a whole goat, your on your own there.

Depends on how many trailers are families or couples. I know some folks mentioned kids. Pound of actual meat is a pretty decent (if not large) portion for two people. Left overs can be a pain when camping. So best to hope it's yummy and it all gets eaten eh?
Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #102

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
A pound of meat would be very sufficient for the two of us. Since it is a potluck, even less meat per person would be fine. There are always plenty of good things to eat!
Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #103

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I assume that we will all kick in some $$ towards purchasing the meat, I'm more than willing, just let me know.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #104

Name: Mike & Sara
Trailer: 86 17' Bigfoot
Michigan
If your determined to cook something large, a turkey deep fried is the best bet.
Little mess, easy to do and everyone likes turkey leftovers.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #105

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Do we want to throw out the idea of a dish to pass sign up sheet so we dont end up with 20 pounds of potato salad and baked beans. At one get together I was at thats what we got. Funny stuff.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #106

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 2012 Chevy Silverado
Michigan
We went to the Indiana rally in May. Nobody signed a dish to pass list and there was a nice variety of dishes. Everybody kicked in a dollar per trailer to cover expenses of the fish fry, grease etc. One person apparently spent almost all year catching and freezing them for the rally. I believe he does this every year since it was called the 8th annual.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #107

Trailer: Scamp 16ft.
Hello,

John Carter & family & 16ft Scamp from Madison Heights, MI here. We are penciled in on site 41 for the rally.

I would suggest if you would like to roast something goat size either renting or building a Cuban style pig roaster, see La Caja China Pig Roast Boxes | Superb Roasting Pig BBQ Grills and Smokers. Steiners meat market down the road from me rents out these units. If I make it I can bring over my smoker, I have put six Boston butts on it at one time - that's alot of pulled pork.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #108

Michigan
ok,, a few things,,first off at least one couple has told me they are vegitarians,,,thats fine i bet we can grill up some veggies you will be amaised with.

second i personaly sort of love the idea of 40 pounds of potato salad,,,but yeah i get your point on maybe folks announcing what they might like to make,,,just so we get some variety

and second second,,,the meat main dish is mostly about something wonderfull to share. and a little about thinking rottisery cooking is just cool to watch as a process and gives great results fairly easily.
i mean,,,just how cavemanly basic camping sort of thing is a hunk of meat slowly turning golden brown over a campfire?
i am considering perhaps a turkey,,and maybe a leg of lamb or pork roast,,, something different for the culinarily adventurous. i will be bringing two spits and a grill so we can make more then one thing.
and now that i have been thinking veggies,,,, i have a veggy basket to fill and grill that should make everyone happy too.

p.s. my wife has veto power over any of my crazy cooking ideas,,so your actually quite safe,,,,lol
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #109

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
John, if June of any indication we will have tons of vegetables in early Sept. we will bring plenty of tomatoes, squash, eggplant, etc.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #110

Michigan
mmm grilled eggplant parmegian
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #111

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Ellen here from camp Mikell.
We are 2 people in our party........ & we are carnivores .........& we love to try new things
John, I'm sure whatever you make will be wonderful!!
We are totally on board to kick in $$ to John. Bless you for taking on this feat.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #112

Michigan
awsome, after a visit to home depot and some fussing about in the electrical department with conduit of different sizes...i have designed a set up that should hold 2 roasting spits and a cooking grill. now i just have to measure a state campground fire pit and make it all fit together.worse comes to worse i'll build a fire box to set under the grill. but i think i have it sorted out. i'll try to have it built for testing by next week and will take it for a test flight over the 4th.
if it works well i will draw it up and all will be welcome to the plans.