MI Sept 7-9 2012: michigan algonac glassic egg scramble! - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: what ya wanna eat????
roast goat 6 22.22%
roasted turkey,chicken 21 77.78%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #101

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
...so for a main meat thing,, what do you guess? 1/2 pound per trailer? 1 pound? i'm leaning towards 1 pound per trailer finished product, so really i don't need a monster rotisery something around 15 to 30 pound capacity should do.
sort of hard to guess having not tried this before.

so any ideas or sugjestions would be welcome.
Hard to say, 1 lb. after cooking for ribs is not nearly as much meat as say 1 lb of chicken. No clue on a whole goat, your on your own there.

Depends on how many trailers are families or couples. I know some folks mentioned kids. Pound of actual meat is a pretty decent (if not large) portion for two people. Left overs can be a pain when camping. So best to hope it's yummy and it all gets eaten eh?
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #102

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
A pound of meat would be very sufficient for the two of us. Since it is a potluck, even less meat per person would be fine. There are always plenty of good things to eat!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 05:57 PM   #103

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
I assume that we will all kick in some $$ towards purchasing the meat, I'm more than willing, just let me know.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #104

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
If your determined to cook something large, a turkey deep fried is the best bet.
Little mess, easy to do and everyone likes turkey leftovers.
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #105

Name: Scott
Trailer: Scamp 1981 16 foot
Michigan
Do we want to throw out the idea of a dish to pass sign up sheet so we dont end up with 20 pounds of potato salad and baked beans. At one get together I was at thats what we got. Funny stuff.
S Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:59 PM   #106

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
We went to the Indiana rally in May. Nobody signed a dish to pass list and there was a nice variety of dishes. Everybody kicked in a dollar per trailer to cover expenses of the fish fry, grease etc. One person apparently spent almost all year catching and freezing them for the rally. I believe he does this every year since it was called the 8th annual.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #107

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hello,

John Carter & family & 16ft Scamp from Madison Heights, MI here. We are penciled in on site 41 for the rally.

I would suggest if you would like to roast something goat size either renting or building a Cuban style pig roaster, see La Caja China Pig Roast Boxes | Superb Roasting Pig BBQ Grills and Smokers. Steiners meat market down the road from me rents out these units. If I make it I can bring over my smoker, I have put six Boston butts on it at one time - that's alot of pulled pork.
John Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:15 AM   #108

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
ok,, a few things,,first off at least one couple has told me they are vegitarians,,,thats fine i bet we can grill up some veggies you will be amaised with.

second i personaly sort of love the idea of 40 pounds of potato salad,,,but yeah i get your point on maybe folks announcing what they might like to make,,,just so we get some variety

and second second,,,the meat main dish is mostly about something wonderfull to share. and a little about thinking rottisery cooking is just cool to watch as a process and gives great results fairly easily.
i mean,,,just how cavemanly basic camping sort of thing is a hunk of meat slowly turning golden brown over a campfire?
i am considering perhaps a turkey,,and maybe a leg of lamb or pork roast,,, something different for the culinarily adventurous. i will be bringing two spits and a grill so we can make more then one thing.
and now that i have been thinking veggies,,,, i have a veggy basket to fill and grill that should make everyone happy too.

p.s. my wife has veto power over any of my crazy cooking ideas,,so your actually quite safe,,,,lol
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 06:43 AM   #109

Name: Denny
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Michigan
John, if June of any indication we will have tons of vegetables in early Sept. we will bring plenty of tomatoes, squash, eggplant, etc.
MCDenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 07:03 AM   #110

Michigan
mmm grilled eggplant parmegian
Old 06-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #111

Name: Mike & Ellen
Trailer: 1988 Liberty Van Companion 17'
Michigan
Registry
Ellen here from camp Mikell.
We are 2 people in our party........ & we are carnivores .........& we love to try new things
John, I'm sure whatever you make will be wonderful!!
We are totally on board to kick in $$ to John. Bless you for taking on this feat.
Mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 10:56 AM   #112

Michigan
awsome, after a visit to home depot and some fussing about in the electrical department with conduit of different sizes...i have designed a set up that should hold 2 roasting spits and a cooking grill. now i just have to measure a state campground fire pit and make it all fit together.worse comes to worse i'll build a fire box to set under the grill. but i think i have it sorted out. i'll try to have it built for testing by next week and will take it for a test flight over the 4th.
if it works well i will draw it up and all will be welcome to the plans.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:23 PM   #113

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
We are cool with kicking in on the meat, just figure out what your gonna do and post what $$ you require.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 04:02 PM   #114

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Everything sounds so wounderful, I'm hungery
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 02:03 PM   #115

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
And add one more to the guest list - Site 77, Marty Brian, with her 13ft Scamp!
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #116

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
If you deep fry a turkey, I suggest using lard or coconut oil. Yum.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #117

Michigan
added a poll on the first page. have yer say so or eat what yer served.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #118

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I voted goat, but I am fine with any of them, assuming I can make it.

CindyL
CindyL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM   #119

Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyL View Post
I voted goat, but I am fine with any of them, assuming I can make it.

CindyL
thats fine, i'm planning on a turkey and maybe a chicken. i do want to try some goat so i am basicly wanting to see if others want to try some , so i can tell if i need 1 pound or 10 pounds of goat right now it looks like 1 leg should be more then enough,,,lol.
Old 07-03-2012, 03:45 PM   #120

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Wink Treats from the rock....

I'm just home from camp and catching up. There is not too much that I can't or won't eat so get adventurous. I am willing to chip in a few dollars too. My contribution will be Toutons and Molasses and I will bring everything I need for this particular treat.
Cod tongues and cod cheeks will not make the trip but I will bring a few smoked Caplin for those with a more discerning palate.
Seal meat anyone????
Scouter Dave
Scouter Dave is offline   Reply With Quote