AB Southern Alberta Gathering anyone? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2012, 09:29 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Great list, Shelley. Sandy McNabb has certainly changed from what it was like when I used to camp there, and in the backcountry to the west, about 35 years ago. The list only 10 sites per group, do you know if they would allow more without hookups?

While I imagine most of us could easily do a weekend without hookups, there are sometimes a few folk who need it for medical reasons.

I will be at the Canoe Meadows group site the weekend after next (July 20-22) with the Bow Waters Canoe Club.

I have only been to a few rallies, and all but one were the Escape Trailer ones, and they were in regular sites, not group sites. A loop, or a bunch of conjoining sites were reserved for them.

Still not certain what my September brings this year, as there are a few tentative plans, from a canoe trip to a Scotland trip. All ideas at this time. If there was a rally set for Southern Alberta (other than Labour Day), and we were free, we would certainly come.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #16

Alberta
Registry
Anyone still interested in a rally in Southern Alberta? If so, I would be keen to help out what I can. Work and life has me very busy right now, but I still need to find time to play.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 12-28-2012, 10:05 AM   #17
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
I am definitely interested in a Southern Alberta event Jim. We should work with the organizers of the Alberta Omelet events to make sure we don't conflict with their schedule, but now is the time to start the planning.
Ian G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #18

Alberta
Registry
That's great, Ian. I guess the two main things to determine, are the site and the time.

As far as time goes, just about anything would work for me, though long weekends would be toughest, but not at all out of the question.

As per Shelley's post, there are lots of Provincial Group Campsites available, though none have services, other than the odd one with power in the cook shelter. This would not at all bother me though, but others may be more reliant on power.

There are places like Little Bow, that have a group site with no power, but do have sites available with power for those that need it.

Maybe a good choice would be a private campground somewhere that could reserve us a block of sites.

The best times to book are likely outside of the summer months, as campgrounds would be busy and booked up then.

I really don't know that much about camping in Alberta outside of the Forestry campgrounds though.

Any others with interest, as well as thoughts and ideas?
Old 12-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #19
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
I am also fairly open on time and agree that pre or post summer is easier to find camping spots. One big challenge will be to determine how many may attend, big difference if only a dozen trailers show up vs last summer's Marwayne event where 64 trailers arrived.

Reserving a block of sites guarantees location but can also "stick us" with a large bill if no one shows (I speak from experience on this point)

Power is a nice to have but I would say most would want decent washrooms and preferably showers.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:22 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Good thoughts, Ian.

I wonder then about something like Little Bow, that has a group site as part of the campground, and it seems you only need 5 people to book it, and then pay for extra units. There are showers and washrooms available, and power sites if needed too. LINK

Probably other sites like this would work too.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Good thoughts, Ian.

I wonder then about something like Little Bow, that has a group site as part of the campground, and it seems you only need 5 people to book it, and then pay for extra units. There are showers and washrooms available, and power sites if needed too. LINK

Probably other sites like this would work too.

Hi ..... just wondered - you being a Calgarian ..... do you know Aspen Crossings at all ..... think it must be fairly knew - very prairie - very close to Calgary ( maybe too close ????) just noticed this thread ..........
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #22

Alberta
Registry
Aspen Crossing does look very interesting. It does have great group facilities too. I used to drive by where it is a couple times a week, but that was ages ago. It does look very new, but that does make for nice facilities. Not sure what all there is to do, but is definitely worth a look. Thanks for pointing it out.

Aspen Crossing
Old 12-28-2012, 03:50 PM   #23
Commercial Member

Alberta
Registry
Aspen Crossings looks interesting. definitly something to consider especially if we are looking at smaller numbers, group sites appear to have around 10-12 sites each
Old 12-28-2012, 05:27 PM   #24
bec

Name: Gabi&Wolf
Trailer: Escape 15 A
Alberta
Kind of wondered about that place ... we've never really stayed anywhere this close to home .... thought about it as place to try out our new Escape last fall ( we only had a few days when we picked it up ) but just couldn't take the extra time .
Old 12-28-2012, 10:19 PM   #25

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
That is close enough to me, that pretty much any weekend would work. We are in Ontario end of July to mid Aug. So, any time outside of that is good for me.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #26

Alberta
Registry
It might be worth a trip out at some time to check out this place, and others in the area.

It would be great to hear from others who have camped at some of the Southern Alberta campsites in the past.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #27

Name: Vic
Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Alberta
Registry
Bridgeview

Jim;

I have stayed at a number of campgrounds in southern Alberta over the years. I would say most would not be suitable for a gathering (remote), but I did enjoy this one.

Bridgeview Campground in Lethbridge

Bridgeview RV Resort | Holiday Trails RV Resorts

Vic
Old 01-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #28

Alberta
Registry
Thanks for that, Vic. I have driven by that one hordes of times before, but have never camped there. Even when we lived in Lethbridge, we headed out west into the forestry for camping.

A couple to consider now. If anyone else has other ideas, please feel free to throw them out there.