NJ Spring time 2014 gathering North Jersey? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 AM   #1

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Spring time 2014 gathering North Jersey?

Hey folks, Im seeing we have a fair amount of members in NJ, Pa, NY... how about a get together in the spring near the Delaware water gap? Preferably a Park vs a more expensive camp ground.

deryk

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:10 AM   #2

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Oooo... and you all could go rock collecting up in Ogdensburg and Franklin! I might even see if I can convince The Dot that we should travel out east!
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #3

New Jersey
Registry
Gary, could you post a link about this rock collecting? Im planning a trip with some friends in the spring to herkimer ny for diamond mining but always up for a little work to collect things that I can possible craft with lol.

Besides, there are alot of hiking options in the DelawareGap area, as well as canoeing, rafting etc. And sit round and drink and eat(well nibble for me lol)

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
Old 10-07-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Minnesota
Registry
My pleasure...

New Jersey Museum & Landmark, Sterling Hill Mining Museum
(Click the above to go there!)

The Franklin Mineral Museum
(Click the above to go there!)

And just to show what you can collect... here's one I got a number of years ago (Under Shortwave UV, of course!). This beauty weighs over 20 pounds!

Click image for larger version

Name:	calcite willemite big.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	65361

The Herkimer "diamond" (actually doubly-terminated quartz) is a great spot to collect. A lot of the mines have camping right at the mine!

Name:	herk1.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	419.0 KB
ID:	65362
(Click to embiggen.)

Name:	herk2.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	421.9 KB
ID:	65363
(Click to embiggen.)
Old 10-07-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

New Jersey
Registry
Cool! Yeah this could be a nice fun simple weekend fiberglass trailer get together!

A little activity and then lotsa relaxation time!

Old 10-07-2013, 06:17 PM   #6

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think Promised Land SP as well as French Creek and Rickets Glenn SP, here in Pa are open year round and therefore available before open season later in the springtime. These are in the eastern part of the state close to Jersey, Delaware, New York.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:39 AM   #7

Name: Sue
Trailer: '93 Casita FD 16'
NY
There is a KOA directly across the street from the Herkimer mines. It's a lovely CG along the West Canada Creek. We've camped there many times!
spfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM   #8

Pennsylvania
Registry
I love that KOA also Sue, but Deryk mentioned something less expensive, let's see what he says.....
Old 10-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #9

New Jersey
Registry
Heh yeah I try to avoid higher priced parks that offer facilities Im not really interested in using, sadly I live on a strict budget...state parks are more my speed and budget. The Herkimer weekend I was planning with another set of friends that is gonna be a working weekend since we want to come home with a bunch of shinies lol

For a local fiberglass trailer get together I was thinking of the Delaware Gap area because its sort of in the middle of a bunch of us in the NY/NJ/Pa area.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:30 AM   #10

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Deryk, how about the Cape May "diamonds", got any of them
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 AM   #11

Minnesota
Registry
Good ol' Cape May Diamonds. Let's hear it for glaciation! I remember collecting those cute little quartz pebbles when I was a kid on the beach opposite the concrete ship.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 AM   #12

New York
We haven't been to Cape May in several years. Is the concrete ship still there??
Old 10-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #13

Minnesota
Registry
It's pretty much fallen apart. Back in the 50's <gasp!> it was still there with a big insurance advertisement painted on the side. And, by golly, I found a picture from the 50's in my "digitized" folder:

Name:	00061_s_8abtqkjyy0125.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	203.7 KB
ID:	65445
(Click to Embiggen)

Dad was a little off on his horizon!

And now (from a web page on concrete ships):

Name:	ship.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	65446
(Click to Embiggen)
Old 10-08-2013, 10:50 AM   #14

New Jersey
Registry
Hmmm cape may diamonds... dont think Ive ever heard of them. I havent been down to cape may in close to 20 years lol. Scary its been that long since college.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #15

New York
Cape May diamonds are just little clear quartz pebbles as I recall.
Old 10-08-2013, 11:55 AM   #16

New Jersey
Registry
I think I vaguelly remember looking for them but was some where else... sorry the brain is the first thing to go lol.

I think checking out the mineing museums would be a fun activity on a saturday afternoon.

I dont know any of the state/federal parks out near the Gap... Im open for suggestions...just need to keep the price reasonable which is why I like the parks... early in the season not going to need electricity for air conditioning and all that... just a weekend so hookups and all that wont be a big deal. Just a place to camp and hang out... talking around a fire and enjoying the great out of doors!

Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 PM   #17

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
My brother has a virtual campground in his huge backyard with power hookups for RV's and often has motor-home gatherings there. He has offered his property free of charge for an egg rally anytime from July 4th through to the end of August. His property is just north of Albany NY and is right on the Hudson River. They have a launch there very convenient for canoe/kayaks, and a good sized dock as well. Should I start another thread for something like this?

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Found this cg in Poconos near Delaware Gap- it is a Passport America cg with 50% off camping for months other than July/august. Not sure if they are open year round
Pocono Mountains Campground - Camping in the Poconos | Silver Valley Campsites
Old 10-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #19

New Jersey
Registry
Frank...sounds nice. But yeah I would start another thread....tempting cause during the summer I get out in the afternoon vs 11pm the rest of the year

Old 10-08-2013, 06:16 PM   #20

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: In the market
Pennsylvania
There are beautiful waterfalls in the Delaware Gap area to hike around and photograph. Raymondskill, Dingman's, Bushkill Falls (private, charges a fee) and my favorite, Childs Park, with its multiple cascades. Picnic areas available at all of them. This would make a nice day trip during your rally to see some or all of them.

See pix of these waterfalls here.

Lakota Wolf Preserve is also nearby. You can see and photograph wolves in a natural setting. For a fee, of course.
Seamstress is offline   Reply With Quote