CO The 4th Annual (?) Cherry Creek Round UP - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-24-2013, 07:04 PM   #61

Name: Jim & Kathy
Trailer: Escape
Northern Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekers View Post
I'm in Grand Junction with Fruita only 10 miles away and have been to that area many times. Check the annual temps in Aug/Sept. too hot for me. At that time of year you still need to get some elevation for comfort.
Just got back yesterday from Ridgway that is at 7600 feet. Not for me in June again, way too hot and extremely windy. Would be great in September. (pretty expensive 22 per nite plus park pass fee of 8 per nite)
Love the Swell, Torrey, Moab areas.
Eastern Utah or Western Slope gets me attending.
We have not camped at the James M. Robb Colorado River (Fruita) State Park...Is it a nice campground? would you recommend it?

jrbowers07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:52 PM   #62

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
I'm having a hard time keeping up but if we're talking eastern and south eastern Utah, here are my suggestions:

1. Fruita -- I haven't stayed at the campground there but my friend has several times and she loves it. She says it's a really beautiful area and she always meets nice people there.

2. Moab -- By September, it may start to cool down. There are a lot of nice full-facility campgrounds plus a TON of first come first serve single camp sites AND a few group sites that you can reserve. The BLM sites are more rustic -- no power, no shower, and only port o potties but they're really nice. We were thinking of heading down there and staying in a spot we've been eye-balling for years. If people are interested in doing something a little more rustic, I can post more info.

3. Dinosaur NP -- I posted this information in earlier posts, but basically, it's the same as Moab. There are 3 campground inside the park that are BLM so I don't think they have hookups or showers but they DO have group sites that are big, near the river, and have some shade. There are also campgrounds outside of the park that I'm sure are nice.

4. Torrey -- This is a great area and we stayed in some "cabins" before we got the trailer so I'm not too familiar with where to set up camp there. That said, Torrey is a nice idea because there are areas there that have quite a bit of elevation and there's a really beautiful highway that comes to/goes from the area. Lots to do here.

5. Zion -- We go down to Zion several times a year but I still think it's absolutely stunning. I've never taken the trailer down because my friend's home is there but the campgrounds there are great and big. Not sure about the reservations.

6. San Rafael Swell -- We've been down here a few times and I know there's at least one pretty decent campground but I'm not familiar with it. The last time we went, we found a "squatter" site for the trailer that was HUGE and beautiful. It's right on the river and could accommodate several trailers. The only problem is that you can't reserve it but we managed to snatch it up during Memorial Day weekend one year so I don't think it'd be a problem. Anyways, what it lacks in shade it makes up for in views.

I'm not sure about the weather in all of these places. I know we are absolutely comfortable going down to Zion, the Swell, or Moab in September so I think the rest of them would be okay too. And of course, if we can hook up, we'd be just peachy.

I think if there's interest, we should pick a place and check out the dates. I've never been to a rally so I'm not sure what kind of places people expect. We often just plunk our trailer down somewhere and call it a day but my coworker says he won't go anywhere that doesn't have showers, power, and wireless internet. My point is that I don't want to suggest places that don't have the facilities most people want or expect.

I'll just reiterate that we're basically in so long as we can get the time off!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:02 PM   #63

Registry
Just looked up average high temps and here they are:

Springdale, UT (Zion):
August - 98, September - 91

Moab, UT:
August - 96, September - 87

Fruita, CO:
August - 90, September - 81

Vernal, UT (Dinosaur National Monument):
August - 85, September - 75

I couldn't get a great comparison with the Swell but using Castledale and Green River as the two nearest cities, I'd put the range somewhere between Vernal and Moab. It's important to point out that in both Moab and the Swell areas, there are campgrounds that have elevation that could probably make a difference of 10 degrees to the negative.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #64

Registry
Also, I confirmed with my friend that there are definitely two campsites in Fruita. She usually stays at the one that's NOT close to the highway. She says in August/September, it should be really nice. Dry, she says, but nice.
Old 07-01-2013, 11:46 AM   #65

Registry
Has all the interest in doing something in Utah disappeared? My brother in law just told me he saw a Scamp 5th wheel and my husband and I have seen several Eggs around the state recently. We're having some really hot, miserable weather these days but by late August, through the middle of September, it should be back to its beautiful self again.

I'm happy to help organize, but only if there's genuine interest. I think it would be great to get a Red Rock Rally or Rocky Mountain West Rally going each year -- there are SO many beautiful places to explore in this area. Please respond if you're interested!

Happy Egging!
Old 07-01-2013, 12:32 PM   #66

Trailer: 82 Burro
I highly recommend the Saddlehorn Campground at the Colorado National Monument in Fruita. It's not too far off the highway and has a spectacular 270 degree view of Fruita and Grand Junction. At night the city lights in the valley are amazing and oh, so romantic. Nearby interests include wine tastings at the numerous wineries in Palisade. Also, Fruita is the new Moab. As of today there are 31 openings at Saddlehorn.
Shirley LaMoine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:01 PM   #67

Registry
Great! So is there anyone out there willing to commit to putting this on the calendar? I'd say I am but I'm so new to all of this I feel like someone with a little more experience take the lead....

I'm still up for anything on the eastern side of Utah/western side of Colorado once it cools off after August.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:41 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve and Rosemary View Post
Great! So is there anyone out there willing to commit to putting this on the calendar? I'd say I am but I'm so new to all of this I feel like someone with a little more experience take the lead....

I'm still up for anything on the eastern side of Utah/western side of Colorado once it cools off after August.
Just FYI - we already have a rally in the Rocky Mountain West - the Rocky Mountain Egg Rendezvous in late July. As far as I'm concerned, anything west of the Eisenhower Tunnel is considered Western Colorado.

BTW - as a former resident of Utah, the San Rafael Swell is one of my favorite camping areas in Eastern Utah. Great slot canyons and Goblin Valley.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:22 AM   #69

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Saddlehorn Campground at the Colorado National Monument in Fruita doesn't have electrical hookups that I can see.

Does anyone else see where they do?
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #70

Sorry, I didn't know having electricity was a priority. Last September at Cherry Creek I was envious of those who had electricity and I kicked myself for not making an earlier reservation.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #71

Registry
I'm up for anything; we'll probably try to make it a Moab trip with a night or two at Fruita if folks prefer that location. I'm still confused about the campgrounds; I know where Saddlehorn is and I know there's a James Robb CG near 70 on the western side of town. Is there another one a little further from the highway but still on the river?
Old 07-02-2013, 12:10 PM   #72

Registry
Oh, and since there's already the Rocky Mountain West rally at Camp Hale, we'll have to see about a different name for this one if it gets going. I'd really like to make it to Camp Hale one year but this year, I think it's just a little too far to travel. Have fun -- looks like a great location!
Old 07-03-2013, 12:29 AM   #73

Yes there is a option James M. Robb-Colorado River State Park (Fruita Section)

I haven't been there, but it at least has electrical hookups....
Old 07-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #74

Name: Patti
Trailer: 1984 UHaul CT13
Colorado
Registry
I haven't been to the Fruita location or the one on the Monument. I'm local so wouldn't have a need. I have looked at both on line and they look like Sears parking lot. Keep in mind if up on the Monument, you would be always going down or up since there is nothing on top except the visitors center or trails. I'm hoping to participate. Sure wish we could all get into Capitol Reef.
keekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #75

Colorado
Registry
Is there any update on a gathering on the western slope or eastern utah?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #76

Patti, there hasn't been any update. Unfortunately I haven't stayed on top of this and for that I am sorry!

I have to say that I feel bad I haven't really stayed on this and made it happen! But I have had a extremely busy past few months (honestly years! but more so the last year) . I was the caregiver for my DH whom I lost yesterday and I haven't had the energy or brain power to even stay on the subject of a rally! I will have to leave it to all of you to decide if you want to get this get together, together! Would love to see something happen, I need a camping trip so I will try and watch for what you all come up with.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #77

Colorado
Registry
Robin, I'm sorry for your loss. Caregivers are angels for sure. Stay strong and take care of YOU.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:07 AM   #78

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Robin, I'm so sorry for your loss. You're in my thoughts and I'm wrapping you in warm arms right now....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:49 AM   #79

I’m so sorry for your loss. You’re in my thoughts.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:46 PM   #80
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Robin. I am so sorry to read this news. You have my heartfelt sympathy. Thank you for letting us know.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote