NL Trails, Tales, Tunes & Trills 22-25 May 2013 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Rallies | Camping | Trip Reports > Rallies, Get-togethers, Molded Meets (Archive)
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #21

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I've been reading about each of the very small towns on the southern ferry loop, population typically 200 or less. One of my concerns was the availability of wireless in these small communities. I just checked the island community of Ramea and they have a CAP center. CAP stands for Community Access Program.

CAP centers, usually at the school, library or town hall contains computers that may be used by citizens and travelers to get on the internet. During our last visit they were all wireless. Frequently we would sit outside the CAP center and connect up with our computer to access the world from really remote locations.

Just a thought for all you potential travelers.

As well on our last trip many campgrounds also had Internet access.

Safe travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:24 AM   #22

Florida
Southern Ferry Loop

I wrote to Newfoundland Visitors Bureau and asked about the possibility of a Scamp tour of the ferry accessible southern towns. It turns out to not be possible since some of the ports do not carry vehicles.

Regardless I've been reading about each of the towns and came across McCallum, a town of Boardwalks, not in the Atlantic City way but boardwalks that are part of the fabric of the community, the way people get about in their every day lives.

The Latest - News - The Charm of McCallum

Newfoundland is loaded with McCallums, just different from our everyday experience.

As I sit here getting ready for our trip to FL, I am fueled by our spring visit to Newfoundland. There is much in life, and even in this forum, that sometime weighs one down. However the reality is that there is much more in life than the negatives, so much that's new and fresh unencumbered by the worries we often create for ourselves. Just imagine the joy and sharing that has to go on in this truly isolated community.

Safe Travels to the McCallums of the world.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #23

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Trails, tales, tunes

My apologies. Sometimes when life catches up to you it gives you a good swift kick and knocks you down. But I'm getting back up.
I will forward details of the rally on Monday
The festival starts 17 May and ends 26 May. Rally dates are May 23 to 26.
You are more than welcome to arrive earlier. Please stand by, and thanks for your patience. D.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #24

Florida
Thank you Dave. We'll be there for the rally.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-09-2013, 10:57 AM   #25

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Some people touch our lives and move on, and some leave a part of themselves in our heart as a momento. You are one of the latter, Dave.

Take care of yourself, you are a treasure
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Well said Pam,
I had a chance to meet Dave at last years Niagara rally. Very interesting person.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #27

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Dave thanks for confirming the meet is still a go and its still on the 2013 Rally Map. Fully appreciate there are much bigger things in life than trailer meets that we all need to take the time to look after.

Take care of yourself and hope you have a fun time at the meet.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #28

Name: Dave
Trailer: Bigfoot
Newfoundland & Labrador
Rally on the rock

The RALLY ON THE ROCK will be held in Norris Point, Gros Morne National Park, Newfoundland on May 23, 24, 25, 26 in conjuction with the Trails, Tales and Tunes Festival. www.trailstalestunes.ca
North Sydney, Nova Scotia is the mainland ferry terminal for your ride to the island. Call 1-800-341-7981 to reach Marine Atlantic.
Make your reservations ASAP. You will need a credit card.

Gros Morne/Norris Point KOA
Reservations: 1-800-562-3441
Info: 1-709-458-2229
email: koa.grosmorne@warp.nfld.net

TOURISM NEWFOUNDLAND & LABRADOR:
1-800-563-6353 - Call for maps, tourist books, brochures etc.

It is about a four(4) hour drive from Port aux Basques to Norris Point.
Follow the Trans Canada Highway from the ferry terminal to Deer Lake,
Take Route 430 to GMNP. Follow the signs, turn left (to the Visitor Center) and continue on to the KOA.

Please register via this post.
If you have specific questions, send a PM.
Thanks. Scouter Dave
Old 03-30-2013, 07:23 AM   #29

Florida
Ferry Reservation made for May 20th. For those interested the one way ferry cost was $313 Canadian. This was for a 32 foot long trailer/tow vehicle combination and two senior passengers.

There are two ferry crossings one about mid-night and the other about noon. We have chosen the noon crossing.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #30

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
I stayed at that KOA for 10 days in September 2011 - decent place! It's in a very reasonable distance of the Gros Morne walking trails. We saw moose just about every day we were in the park, which was fun (but you gotta get out before sunrise! and drive very carefully when it's dark because you don't want one of those coming through your windshield!)

I had a ball on the ferry, too. We did the overnight trip, and got a room with beds so we could get some sleep. Except I was too excited to sleep and kept going outside to watch the water go past. If you reserve far enough ahead of time, you can get a room with a window.
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #31

Florida
Jen,

We've taken the ferry 8 times and Ginny never sleeps because she loves the whole process. She spends hours watching them load the ship. As a result we get into the ferry yard just after the midnight ship departs, I sleep in the rig and she watches.

We took the morning versus the midnight run.

As well we have made our reservation at KOA for May 23-26th.

No reservation made for the return but probably early July. It's obviouse we love Gros Morne, one could spend 6 happy months there.

Safe Travels

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 03-30-2013, 09:04 AM   #32

Name: jen
Trailer: 1980 13 ft. burro
Pennsylvania
Registry
We would have just slept in the trailer, too, but the ferry people weren't allowing it when we did the trip. Maybe they don't want you locked in your car if the thing sinks? Not really sure.

Editing to add a quick funny ferry story.

We got in line on the Nova Scotia side for loading behind a nice van-type RV and started chatting with the two gentlemen traveling in it, who had a cute huge dog. Turns out they lived a mile away from us in Philadelphia, and when we were in our center city apartment 12 years ago they were on the same block as us. We all bid farewell and happy travels once loaded.

10 days later when we arrived for the ferry return trip, guess who was in the load-up line right in front of us? Yep, hi neighbors!
jen b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 10:10 PM   #33

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter Dave View Post
... takes place in Norris Point, NL every spring around the 24th. of May weekend. This is the weekend that we on the rock consider to be the official start of the summer season.
I hope the recent snow is not going to affect your meet and that it is truly your official start to the summer season.
Freak snowstorm hits Newfoundland over holiday weekend | CTV News
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #34

Florida
Roy,
The snow in the Cape Breton highlands caused us to move up our nfld ferry departure. Just did not want to becaught in a morning storm in those hills. On the crossing we learned it was snowing in Gander but Gros Morne didn't seem to get any though there are snow fields in the mountains.

Last night we had our hose free in Codroy, nfld. Gave the hose a morning hot shower.

It's been unseasonably cool at night, don't recall ever having a hose freeze here on all previous May trips. Fortunately the days, 2 so far, have been bright and sunny. The festival is virtually dawn til early morning with guided hikes, yoga and music.... all kinds of activity. It is a good event to wrap a rally around.

Plan to arrive at the festival on Wednesday.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-22-2013, 07:59 PM   #35

Florida
We've been to 6 fiberglass rallies all over NA. The one in Oregon had a 100 rigs and was a great time. This one has 2 rigs and is a great time as well. Scouter Dave is a very interesting guy, the rally organizer. Associating the rally with a music festival is brilliant. This is the end of our first day and we are joyfully tired with music and humor continuing to flash thru our minds and a tapas dinner and newfie friendship we will hold close forever.

These four days will always be with us. If you have the time this festival is just the best.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #36

Florida
We attended 5 hours of music yesterday, simply could not make it to the final 2 hour show. The final event of our evening was a 3 hour tapas (dinner) with music, comedian and story teller plus the company of two very interesting couples. The 3 events we've attended so far each had about 50 in the audience, partially because the venues are relatively small, Norris Point is a small place. Though small over the 10 days there are about 30-40 musical events so plenty of music for all.

Each morning they have a 5-10 km guided hike. This morning's hike is by a famous Mic-Mac native American, long time local guide and famous for discovering a significant mineral source on his travels, a large US mining operation.

This morning Scouter Dave is taking me to the local radio station where he does on air shows when in the area. Today he's going to interview me on our RV life.

One never knows what's around the corner.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 05-23-2013, 05:14 AM   #37

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I'm glad you are having a great time, sounds wonderful !!
Right now I'm surrounded by about 20 scamps here in Minden, Nebaska, cool weather but heating up tomorrow. Lovely place and people.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #38

Florida
First I want to thank Dave for coming up with the idea of this rally. It is clever beyond words.

Second today was a great day. This is a truly wonderful island, beauty is everywhere. We just returned from a wonderful 2 hr concert. The music was fabulous, 4 different groups. There's a specialness here, a feeling of coming home. It stirs you in very good ways.

Lastly particularly for my Canadian friends, the author of the book Anabel is here, Kathleen Winters. Now that I've heard many excerpts I know this is a book to be read. It's theme is interesting but would not grasp me but the supporting thoughts give me pause. Now a must read.

Norris point is the smallest of places but has created a marvelous event not to be missed by any that can afford the time. Not that it matters but it did win Music Festival of the year for Canada.

Did I mention the first night we had an 8 course tapas dinner over 3 hours of music, comedy and story.

Life is wonderful and my tiny, thankfully water tight trailer got me here. Bless Scouter Dave

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16

Tags
rally