16 foot Luxury Traveler with bunk-beds, shower, and toilet. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2010, 07:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Many more pictures at http://lannyscasita.wikispaces.com/

This is a custom restored 16 foot Luxury Traveler with bunk-beds, shower, and toilet. It had a frame off restoration started in 02, finished in 2005. Some additional modification and upgrades since then but 90% done in 03-4. The fiberglass cab was removed from the frame and stripped to bare fiberglass inside and out.

The door and all windows were removed and each completely disassembled, all parts refurbished and the everything then re-assembled.

• Fiberglass shell was completely gutted, all cabinets and interior fixtures removed.
• Wood floor was removed down to the fiberglass and replaced with new treated plywood then new short nap outdoor patio carpet installed.
• Walls were re-carpeted with gray cut pile carpet with 1/2 inch foam Konga backing that Casita recommends.
• All fiberglass cabinetry was reinforced and refinished before installing.
• All wood was replaced with custom finished birch plywood, stained and then three coats of hand sanded spar varnish.
• All cabinet hardware was replaced with new chrome hinges and locks.
• New wiring harness with 10 gauge main wiring
• New Klevin Enterprises Inteli-power 60 amp Converter/Charger with battery wizard.
• New plumbing with Flojet Quiet Quad 11 water pump and new 110 and gas water-heater.
• New Fantastic Fan ceiling vent.
• New additional ceiling exhaust fan vent added in the bathroom.
• Six additional interior lights were added in addition to a closet ceiling light.
• Additional outside lights were added in front and back to help in backing up and unhooking after dark.
• New AC was replaced in 07.
• 2.8 Gal gray water tank added to kitchen sink
• New over size wheels and tires (used less than 500 miles)
• New Ele land line storage port
• New city water port with pressure regulator
• Custom storage cabinets
• Microwave
• Original Dometic fridge, 110,12 volt ,and gas
• Privacy shades

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casitacomposit.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	27586
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen_stove_open.jpg   interiortablscoff.jpg  

tablesinksm.jpg   newwoodbathdr.jpg  

shine2.jpg   fonthitch.jpg  

oversz_whlls_trs.jpg  
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 AM   #2

Several folks have asked about the bunk bed configuration. Here are some additional picts.

Name:	withdescription.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	27939

The bunk top latches firmly to this wall brace that's attached to the wall with 5, 1/4" bolts on the long side and four on the shower wall.

The pole shown here sitting on the bench seat screws to the bottom of the bunktop bed.

Name:	Undersideof_bunk_polenut.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	27940

This shows the bunk down when traveling. The original Casita design had this functioning as a bench seat. Not very comfortable. My design really isn't any better as a couch. The top cushion is scrunched under the coffee maker table. Other than having the cushion cut down I couldn't think of a fix for this. We usually just kept the bunk up. The bunks worked great as a shelf.

Name:	couchwithcushions.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	27941

This is the bunk up.

Name:	bunkup.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	27942

From underneath showing how it secures to the wall.

Name:	bunksuppurts.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	27943

I weigh from 190 -99 depending on how good I've been, I have slept here many times and it supported me fine. I need a small step ladder to get up though. at 64, I'm not as spry as I used to be. This is my third design correcting earlier plans. This is much wider in the area where your arms are. When it was all the same length it was just too narrow.
The beds were designed so I could sleep on top or bottom and raise my knees up. A peculiarity in my sleeping habits.
lanny
Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Trillium
Wow... that's a beauty Lanny. You did SOOOOO much work to it, and it looks like you were meticulous about every detail. I would love a trailer like this, but you're just too far away. Best of luck selling... If you happen to find yourself in the pacific northwest with it, give me a ring!

Nice job.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:13 PM   #4

Thanks Casandra, It was a labor of love.
Casita's are great little campers. I actually just sold it to a guy in north Washington state! That's a hike!