WA 1971 Trails West Campster, $3,500 OBO. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-04-2015, 04:23 PM   #1

Name: Michael
Trailer: 1970's Trails West Campster (former owner)
Washington
Registry
1971 Trails West Campster, $3,500 OBO.

Bought as a hardshell camper that could be towed by a forester or any other small vehicle. The spouse wanted the added protection a hardshell camper provides. Camper was refurbished with the following:
New propane stove with two burners,
Deep cycle battery that was relocated to inside to maintain capacity in colder weather (and prevent theft of battery),
New fabricated aluminum pop-up for cold weather camping. Allows for 6’plus tall person when extended.
Additional plexiglass top that can replace the aluminum pop-up for star grazing from the bed.
Solar panel and controller for recharging battery when parked separately from vehicle
New Interior Lights
New tires
New fenders and wheel well protective undercoating.
This camper is one of the great little fiberglass campers that can be towed easily behind a smaller vehicle but has room to cook and eat inside. Protected window in front and window in rear door allow visibility out the back from the towing vehicle in addition to side mirrors. Trailer has high ground clearance for rougher roads too.
Trailer is 13 feet long total and 6.5 feet wide. The dinette table makes into a 6.5 by 6.5 foot bed that easily sleeps a family of three. Lots of storage with 4 large drawers, a large and small closet. Storage compartments for larger items are under the benches. Additional lockable compartment is in the aluminum pop-up. Propane heater works well. Large potable water tank under left hand side bench is connected to on-demand water pump. This is standard water supply to the kitchen sink but also a water hookup on the outside, next to the external shower. Camper has an awning that sets up quickly. Standard Icebox that hold ice for a long time (ice holding tray has drain. The cushions have been recovered and new curtains were installed. Two jacks are included for leveling the trailer. Would like to keep but just bought a Sprinter RV and no room left in driveway.
Attached Thumbnails
Campster1.jpg   trailer1.jpg  

Campster on Ridge.jpg  
Old 07-13-2015, 11:26 PM   #2

Name: Sara
Trailer: Casita or Scaamp
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
Bought as a hardshell camper that could be towed by a forester or any other small vehicle. The spouse wanted the added protection a hardshell camper provides. Camper was refurbished with the following:
New propane stove with two burners,
Deep cycle battery that was relocated to inside to maintain capacity in colder weather (and prevent theft of battery),
New fabricated aluminum pop-up for cold weather camping. Allows for 6’plus tall person when extended.
Additional plexiglass top that can replace the aluminum pop-up for star grazing from the bed.
Solar panel and controller for recharging battery when parked separately from vehicle
New Interior Lights
New tires
New fenders and wheel well protective undercoating.
This camper is one of the great little fiberglass campers that can be towed easily behind a smaller vehicle but has room to cook and eat inside. Protected window in front and window in rear door allow visibility out the back from the towing vehicle in addition to side mirrors. Trailer has high ground clearance for rougher roads too.
Trailer is 13 feet long total and 6.5 feet wide. The dinette table makes into a 6.5 by 6.5 foot bed that easily sleeps a family of three. Lots of storage with 4 large drawers, a large and small closet. Storage compartments for larger items are under the benches. Additional lockable compartment is in the aluminum pop-up. Propane heater works well. Large potable water tank under left hand side bench is connected to on-demand water pump. This is standard water supply to the kitchen sink but also a water hookup on the outside, next to the external shower. Camper has an awning that sets up quickly. Standard Icebox that hold ice for a long time (ice holding tray has drain. The cushions have been recovered and new curtains were installed. Two jacks are included for leveling the trailer. Would like to keep but just bought a Sprinter RV and no room left in driveway.
Contact Michael Lee at 425-891-7499 or grebnik@yahoo.com
Where are you located and what's your asking price?
Old 07-14-2015, 12:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Fyi
Price is in the ad

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 07-14-2015, 08:29 AM   #4

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkys7272 View Post
I live near Seattle and I'm asking $3,900 OBO. Thanks
Old 07-14-2015, 08:35 AM   #5

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkys7272 View Post
I hit the wrong key, I sent reply before I checked. It's $3,500.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Lee View Post
I hit the wrong key, I sent reply before I checked. It's $3,500.
This cannot possibly still be for sale--is it?
Kai in Seattle
Old 09-24-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

Washington
Registry
Actually it is Kai. I have not advertised it much since I would still like to keep it...even though the wife wants it sold. I am waiting for a response from a guy in Idaho who's father actually started the Trails West Campster business in the 60's. Again it is first come first served so whoever shows up first with the money can buy it. With that said though, I will email the other potential buyer and give him a deadline of today. I will let you know then if he backs out.Thanks for the inquiry.
Old 09-24-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Washington
Registry
I live near Seattle.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Before you sell it, can you explain what your pop top is? What holds it up when it is up?

Also- if you get any info on the company that made these, I'd love to hear it. Maybe you can ask the guy whose dad did it to join us here and fill us in with what he knows.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:35 PM   #10

Washington
Registry
The popup is a two piece unit, the lower item is a galvanized steel flashing that is attached to the trailer and has a flange attached that extends around the outside of the top. This is basically a 4 wall box opened on the top and bottom. It has an external lip that runs around the upper edge of the box. The top item is an aluminum box that fits over the lower box but unlike the lower box, it has a top on it of course. The bottom of the box edge has an inner lip that extends around the bottom of the box edge. This upper box fits over the lower box. The process of raising the upper box once you are at the campsite requires unlocking the two hold down latches that holds the upper box down over the inner box. I then just push the upper box up until its inward facing flange (lip) contacts the outward facing flange attached to the inner box. I then use insulated panels on the inside to hold the upper box up and its flange tight against the inner box outward flange. Lowering the upper box prior to travel requires removal of the insulated panels on the inside and then just dropping the upper box back down over the inner box. The inside of the ceiling on the upper box has insulated panels glued to it to prevent heat loss and reduce the noise from rain. Overall, it works pretty well.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:41 PM   #11

Washington
Registry
Bobbie, I can ask him what he knows about the company, but I will post a newspaper article that he sent me about Trails West and his dad, Mr Jackson, that started the company from my understanding. Definitely a very innovative design back then that still holds true today.
Old 09-24-2015, 11:50 PM   #12

Registry
Tried to send a message but it disappeared; if you get two, sorry to inconvenience! We'd like to know if we could come see this Campster even if the other person wants it? We've never seen one and are VERY interested.
Any time...
Old 09-24-2015, 11:57 PM   #13

Washington
Registry
Kai, website is a bit confusing, but will call you tomorrow to set up a time Saturday you can come see it. Have not heard back from the other guy so again, first come, first serve. Thanks
Old 09-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #14

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Thanks for the info. I'm running right now with a plywood box and a similar setup but planning to make something else this winter- lighter version of this, or fix my popup mechanism if I can. So always curious as to what others have done.

I'd love to see the article.
Old 09-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #15

Registry
Hi,

We had a chance to go to Kirkland, WA to see this little trailer. It has two bench seats that are 6 1/2 feet long and will work as "twin" cots OR they'll make into a very big bed indeed, 6 1/2' in both directions, no kidding. They even have reading lights already installed.

Head clearance--hubby is 5'10" and had about an inch clearance when the pop-up section was fully "DOWN." You have to watch it getting into the dinette or bending over the stove, but you'd get used to that fast. The "hip area" clearance for getting into the dinette was super.

I think there's potential here. Possibly to go all-electric. (My preference.)

It has an icebox (takes NO power!), which was clean and ready to go.

Michael Lee was very nice and we were glad to make his acquaintance.

We were very glad to be able to really look over this fascinating little trailer!

Kai in Seattle
Old 02-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #16

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Hello Michael

Is it still for sale? If so is there any room for a bathroom/portapotty?

Thanks, Gagan

Vancouver BC
Old 02-13-2016, 12:45 PM   #17

Washington
Registry
Gagan, it is still for sale and it does not have a permanently bathroom/toliet. It has a shower attachment that has a locking hatch on the side of the camper (summer use) and I have a marine toilet in the aft closet. I pull it out at night so we don't have to go outside. It has worked okay for us since most of our camping are at campgrounds with restroom facilities. Thanks for inquiring.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:34 PM   #18

Name: Gagan
Trailer: Hunter Compact II
British Columbia
Thanks Michael. I'm going to be working away for a while. I'll touch base when I get back.
Old 02-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #19

Name: Kate
Trailer: 1998 13' Scamp
Minnesota
Campster

Hi Michael,
Sent you an email but never heard back; I'll assume the Campster is gone unless I hear otherwise.
Thanks,
Kate
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #20

Washington
Registry
[QUOTE=katmeador;572112]Hi Michael,
Sent you an email but never heard back; I'll assume the Campster is gone unless I hear otherwise.
Thanks,
Kate, I did respond so do not know why it didn't reach you. The trailer has been sold...well kind of. A couple from Portland is coming up Saturday with the intentions of buying it. If they do not, then I will let you know first thing Sunday.
Thanks