WA 1979 Trillium 4500 in WA $5,000-sold- - Fiberglass RV

Old 10-06-2012, 12:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium
1979 Trillium 4500 in WA $5,000-sold-

"Selling the Trillium" has been a bone of contention between my wife and me. She loves it, but we don't have time to use it, so it sits unused. I'm trying to move things we aren't using, and I ask her about "selling the Trillium" every year. We've used the Trillium exactly once since buying it from the original owner in Oct. 1999 - we made a 2-week loop to northern California from Seattle. During the cleanup this year, I noticed it hasn't had a new registration sticker on the plate since 2001. This is ridiculous, especially when it seems there are lot of folks looking for Trilliums they will actually put to use. After this year's exchange, she said, "fine, if you can get $5,000 for it, you can sell it." She doesn't think it'll sell for that, so she's safe. Let's see if she's right (I'm sure she's wrong).

This is a preliminary post to gauge interest, answer questions, show pictures, etc., as I'm still going through it to make sure everything's clean, everything works, etc. I've attached a couple of sample pics, but am happy to send any pic you need, video, etc. Also, you're free to come see it at our house on Bainbridge Island, WA. (just a hop/skip from the Canadian border . . . .).

This is an unusual trailer in that it's been used for only two trips (both child-free) in its 33 years. The original owner (if he's alive and still at the address we have for him, he's contactable) purchased the trailer new in California when he and his wife retired from the military and relocated to Rhode Island. They used the trailer for that trip, only, and parked it inside their garage on the tireless wheels (included). We bought it, had it trucked back out to Washington, and used it on the one trip to California, otherwise it's been under a custom CalMark Sunbrella cover (lots of tree stuff up here).

This 4500 has the Gaucho couch/bunks arrangement up front, top vent, jalousie windows, furnace, elec/propane fridge, converter, sink, and 3 burner stove top. We didn't use the sink, but the original owners may have during their trip. Interior styling is vintage '70s, and all upholstery/foam headliner stuff is in excellent condition. Trailer has no water leaks of any kind that I can tell. All sealing on windows/vent looks intact. Tires are new this year. Trailer came with its original awning that somehow attaches to the trailer via little brackets on the trailer, but the transporter who brought the trailer to us in Washington lost the poles on the way, so we have a perfectly good awning with no poles, except a bulky pvc set we had made up (work fine, but looks?).

I have kept the exterior clean, but waxed it only the first year we had it. It looks fine to me (no stains, etc., but one minor area of apparent sun fading where trailer faced window in original owner's garage), but I pulled the awning off the rail to clean behind it and see that the under-awning area is fairly shiny, while the rest of the trailer is not. This trailer has no mistakes made on the exterior from inexpertly applied products, etc. - it could be your blank canvas.

As I said, this not the final ad, just gauging interest and offering to respond to questions, requests for pics, etc. My plan is to finish the minor cleanup, confirm everything's working (and correct it if it's not), and probably clean/paint the hitch and rear bumper. Package will include a porta-potty, porta-shower (we never used them), and a bunch of other minor camping stuff. Hubcaps are original, but may need some finish work if that shading's not intentional. Includes all manuals and original purchase paperwork. One thing we added that was a real asset for our one trip was the set of 4 drop-down jackstands to stabilize the trailer at night(!) - very nice). BUT, stainless stove top has some rust/corrosion from sitting for 33 years. I'll try to clean it up, but I'm no expert and don't want to ruin it when someone who knows what he's doing could do it right.

Also includes the original Trillium vinyl propane tank and spare tire covers, though the tire cover has a 1/4" tear at the top. They're otherwise in very good, new appearance.

Let me know of questions, etc.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
DSCF0514.jpg   DSCF0523.jpg  

Old 10-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think a price will create some interest. You can always adjust the price.

Old 10-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think a price will create some interest. You can always adjust the price.
Sorry if that wasn't clear. The wife said $5,000.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #4

Also, I should note that while the trailer is WIRED for brakes, it does not have them. We did not miss them on our trip, but wanted the info out there.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #5

Trillium pictures by Equito - Photobucket

Please see the above photobucket link for photos of the unit taken today. FYI, in checking the interior I noticed there is a spidering-type cracking of the fiberglas surface behind the chrome sink nozzle. The best picture I could get is #20, but it doesn't show up well. The cracking is limited to the surface finish, and is not structural, but I wanted to mention it.

The front Gaucho section is shown in the couch and bunked positions. Pics #17-20 show the sink - it's not blemish-free, but not corroded (except for the drain which has a bit of surface corrosion). It did not clean away with Windex. Not sure how to get any better pics than those, I'm afraid. The chrome poles for the bunks have a little rust on them.

The stove top in #16 shows 3 clips that I don't know about. They were laying there - I left them there. Any thoughts on what they are?

#43 shows the tear on the top of the Trillium vinyl spare tire cover (#44). The paper cups (#31) came with the Trillium when we got it.

The table leaf that makes it full-length is in the closet, and I assume you don't need to see the dinette made into a bed.

#51 - front right corner of trailer is where the sun-fade discoloration is located.

Interior/exterior are as good as they can be (before I paint the hitch/bumper), all the lights/plugs work, and the fridge is working on electricity - just waiting to see if it comes to temp. Next to check is the water, then furnace and stove, with fridge operated on propane. I know we used the stove top, but don't believe we used the furnace, or the fridge on propane, so I'll be consulting the manuals for those procedures tomorrow.

Let me know of questions, and of pics you want to see.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #6

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
That is a nice trailer! I think you will find someone that will pay $5000 for it.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:08 PM   #7

Name: Lew
Trailer: none
Pennsylvania
How old are the tires?
Thank you!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
They said the tires were new this year.

I sold mine about 4 years ago for $4500 and it wasn't anywhere near as good of shape as your is. At that time I had several people wanting to buy it. You'll get the 5k.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #9

Much appreciate the positive comments, David and Steve. Biglew, the tires aren't shown but are brand new a couple of months ago with zero miles. Trailer-type tires from Les Schwab, but not sure of the brand. Painted the wheels, too.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #10

The interest in this trailer has been fairly overwhelming. For the next week or so, please consider it "sold" pending pickup. If that changes and the trailer becomes available, I'll post here. Thanks for the interest and input.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:44 PM   #11

Name: rick
Trailer: 1999 casita spirit deluxe 17 foot
Ontario
I think thats a awsome price maybe a little to awsome
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendragon View Post
I think thats a awsome price maybe a little to awsome
Oh, the wife didn't like that! Tell you what, if the current deal doesn't consummate, she'll set the price to "a little less awesome." It's really a great looking trailer in excellent condition.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #13

While I am embarrassed to say I could not figure out how to edit my original post (an "edit" button appears on this post, but not on my previous posts), I am pleased to report the trailer is officially sold and is in the loving hands of its new family. The wife and I hope they are able to put the Trillium to better use than we did.

The fiberglass trailer community on this board is simply the best, and the knowledge available is amazing. I ask that a moderator move or delete this thread, as appropriate. Thanks for the input and good words!

Tags
trillium