TX 1986 19ft Scamp Gooseneck Travel Trailer Redone Inside!! $4500 - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-20-2012, 03:15 PM   #15

Name: Steve
Trailer: Bigfoot, Trillium, Scamp 5th Wheel
Spokane Wa. and Las Vegas, Nv.
Registry
Actually Scamp doesn't make a goose-neck hitch. They make a standard bumper pull with a 2" ball that is mounted where a 5th wheel hitch should be. This isn't the first modified 19' I've seen.

Old 12-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
JCZ

Name: JC
Trailer: in the market
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hammel View Post
Actually Scamp doesn't make a goose-neck hitch. They make a standard bumper pull with a 2" ball that is mounted where a 5th wheel hitch should be. This isn't the first modified 19' I've seen.
Scamp's 5th wheel sure isn't a "bumper pull with a 2" ball".

Old 12-20-2012, 05:50 PM   #17

Name: Ed
Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe,The driveway is a Dark & Lonely Place now!
Missouri
I am pretty sure that Scamps is a Gooseneck Hitch setup but in the bed,it is not a common 5th Wheel though which can be a source of some confusion?

Ed
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ View Post
Scamp's 5th wheel sure isn't a "bumper pull with a 2" ball".
I walked outside and looked again, guess what? It is a 2" bumper pull where the 5th wheel kingpin should be. Proprietary to Scamp, source of much discussion on this forum. Not a goose-neck, not a 5th wheel, strange indeed!
Old 12-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #19

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
I walked outside and looked again, guess what? It is a 2" bumper pull where the 5th wheel kingpin should be. Proprietary to Scamp, source of much discussion on this forum. Not a goose-neck, not a 5th wheel, strange indeed!
I'm with Ed, Scamp's hitch is a gooseneck which utilizes a standard 2" ball coupler.
Old 12-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm with Ed, Scamp's hitch is a goose-neck which utilizes a standard 2" ball coupler.
LOL!!! No offense to anyone but, I've owned "stock hauling" trailers that are goose-necks and I've owned 5th wheels. This hitch set up is neither. The 2" coupling is the same 2" coupling as on any bumper pull of which I have also owned several. The ball is elevated in the bed of whatever truck it is mounted in by 12" to 18" so that the 2" bumper pull coupling can rotate, whereas a goose-neck which is straight up and down can be mounted closer to the bed. If it's important to you to call it what it is not go ahead and not listen to someone who actually owns one and knows the difference. LOL!!!!
Old 12-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #21

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
LOL!!! No offense to anyone but, I've owned "stock hauling" trailers that are goose-necks and I've owned 5th wheels. This hitch set up is neither. The 2" coupling is the same 2" coupling as on any bumper pull of which I have also owned several. The ball is elevated in the bed of whatever truck it is mounted in by 12" to 18" so that the 2" bumper pull coupling can rotate, whereas a goose-neck which is straight up and down can be mounted closer to the bed. If it's important to you to call it what it is not go ahead and not listen to someone who actually owns one and knows the difference. LOL!!!!
Goose-neck couplers as manufactured by Bulldog can have up to a 16" offset.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:06 PM   #22

Registry
I'll borrow Jason's pictures. If this looks like a goose-neck to you all then I can't convince you. To me it's a bumper pull coupler welded on to square tubing. I could cut it off and make a trailer with it. LOL!!!

Old 12-21-2012, 03:18 PM   #23

Registry
Just for fun here is what a goose-neck looks like.

And here is what the offset one looks like.

Here is very similar to what is on mine and all the other stock 19' Scamps out there. A bumper pull coupler.

Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 AM   #24

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I'm with Ed, Scamp's hitch is a gooseneck which utilizes a standard 2" ball coupler.
No, it's not. A gooseneck hitch uses a 2-5/16" or 3" ball, at bed level.

A fifth wheel uses a 2" kingpin mounted above the bed floor.

Scamp uses a proprietary hitch setup. This is the factory scamp hitch that I cut off of mine.

Although it is modified from factory, the seller is 100% correct, this one is a true gooseneck. All a buyer needs is a gooseneck hitch from one of many manufacturers, or use it as a bumper pull, and it's good to go. Much more preferable than the scamp hitch, IMHO.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 AM   #25

Registry
Sorry Jared why was I thinking Jason. These are all Jared's pictures.

I think most people are shocked to find out that Scamp uses such a weird unorthodox hitch/coupling.

The sellers hitch has indeed been converted to a goose-neck. The original Scamp hitch I wouldn't classify as anything other than a "Scamp hitch" and then try to explain it the best I can.

So in light of the season and so many other things that we can stress over and argue about I say call it what you will, it is what it is. LOL

PS, Jared when are starting back up on your Mod? Are you putting the old cabinets/benches back in. I'm getting ready to tear mine apart next week.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #26

IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
That last sentence sounds like good advice, and for convenience sake, many of us will continue to refer to modern cars and crossovers as "unibodies" when technically they are not.

While the Scamp set-up is closer to a typical gooseneck than a fifth wheel, I prefer to call it a "Fiver", since that is the common nomenclature.

Actually, the only time it matters is when you choose to tow something behind the trailer , which is generally not allowed behind a bumper pull and is often done behind a "Fiver" Scamp.
While that may be illegal in Arizona, Illinois, Michigan, Minnesota, for example, I have yet to hear of a ticket being issued.

I can't imagine being shocked by the "fiver" set-up since you would need to know the particulars before picking up your trailer for the first time.
While the set-up is pretty much unique to Scamp, it is not likely proprietory nor ubiquitous enough to demand a name of it's own.
How about calling it the "Splunge" hitch?

Old 12-22-2012, 10:00 AM   #27

Registry
Well like Jared mentioned in a previous post, you're kinda out of luck if your truck breaks down out on the road. Not many people will be able to tow your rig to town. In that case you will surely come up with a few other expletives/names that haven't been mentioned.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:24 AM   #28

IllAnnoy
Registry
My fleet wrecker (like most), had a formula on the back with a ball hitch adapter. It would easily reach high enough to tow a Scamp "fiver" to a safe location, if it was not practical to simply tow the truck and trailer together.

Tags
scamp