1986 bigfoot 17 for salvage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Trailer: 1986 17 ft Bigfoot
Registry
1986 bigfoot 17 for salvage

Halloween night someone tossed gasoline on the entry door of our beloved Patience, a 1986 Bigfoot, and set her afire. Surprisingly, the trailer did not burn to the ground. Only the door and the area immediately around the door are directly damaged by flame. Soot and stench have reached every possible corner of the cabin. I need to use a respirator to work anywhere near.

After 2 1/2 years of repairs and upfitting, we consider the trailer a total loss. We do not have the expertise and do not want to take the time to attempt a restoration. We have already acquired a replacement, a 1991 version of the same trailer we are calling Hope.

The appliances still work including AC, water heater, water pump, fridge, furnace, stove and oven, and Maxxfan. However, with the exception of the fridge interior, all have been exposed to the gases and are covered with soot from the fire.

I have removed our solar panels and related electronics, which were still working just fine after the fire.

The frame is in great shape, having been primed and painted everywhere we could reach. I will have the 5200# axle from the burned 1986 trailer swapped over to the 1991 replacement, so the burned trailer will have the standard 3500# axle. The tires are in good shape.

We plan to find a salvage yard for the 1986 trailer unless anyone on the forum would like it. We would let it go for what the salvage yard would give us. You can see pre-fire images of the trailer in the registry.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:01 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
That's really awful, Tim. I think someone in your area will want to try to recover the trailer, but there's no location in your profile to find out where the BigFoot is.

I'm really sorry to hear about this.

Matt
Old 11-24-2010, 05:36 PM   #3

Registry
Ah yes, I forgot to mention that I am in Eastern Maryland.
Old 11-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #4

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Tim, it's a shame that this happened. My wife and I might be interested in the rebuild but I would like to see some pictures of the damage to determine if it is something we are willing to attempt.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:21 AM   #5

Name: pat
Trailer: uhaul 13
nj
tim, if you decide to part it, I'd be interested in the furnace possibly...posting pics would help spark interest! Stinks about the situation....Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-25-2010, 10:47 AM   #6

Registry
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Thanks for the condolences, folks. One wonders why someone would do something like this. At this point we just want to move on.

In the interest of doing that, we are not interested in parting out the trailer. We're told by friends that she can be restored. We'd like to find someone who would like to do that. If not, then she'll go to a salvage yard.

Pre-fire Patience overall was in good condition for a 24-year-old trailer. Note that sixteen solar panel mounts will remain in the roof, secured with screws and Proflex.

The entry door is ruined, though it's frame and screen frame are okay. The worst exterior body damage is above and below the door. Fibers are visible and the shell soft in these areas. Just forward of the entry door the gelcoat is crazed but the structure seems sound. There is little damage just aft of the door.

In the cabin soot covers everything. Interior flame damage is limited to the area immediately forward of the entry door. Pictures of that in the next post.
Attached Thumbnails
Good sides forward.jpg   Good sides aft.jpg  

Frame painted.jpg   Solar panel mounts.jpg  

Door exterior forward.jpg   Door exterior aft.jpg  

Door exterior above.jpg   Door exterior below.jpg  

Cabin forward.jpg   Cabin aft.jpg  

Old 11-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #7

Registry
The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly part 2

The dinette next to the door charred because a full tub of Gatorade powder sat next to it at the time of the fire. The charring does not penetrate completely through the dinette structure. The structure itself is sound. The bottom cushion is only charred at the end. Three cheers for flame retardant fabric.

Soot reached the head, though the door was closed. I'm guessing pressure built inside the trailer and gas went to every possible exit point. One can see soot on the fresh water tank next to where a thin box sat.

I added a photo of a tire on the replacement trailer, which will end up on Patience. I hauled the replacement trailer from northern Quebec to Maryland with no tire problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Door interior below.jpg   Dinette above.jpg  

Door interior above.jpg   Dinette interior next to burn.jpg  

Soot in head.jpg   Maxxfan.jpg  

Replacement trailer tire.jpg   Aft compartment.jpg  

Old 11-25-2010, 01:38 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim D. View Post
Halloween night someone tossed gasoline on the entry door of our beloved Patience, a 1986 Bigfoot, and set her afire.
I too have experienced Halloween damage (to my home, not the Fiber Stream) in the past, and I am sorry for your loss. While the trailer has been replaced, a certain amount of well-being is gone. I can no longer "celebrate" on that day, and am glad that Carolnjim schedule the Lake Casitas rally for that time.
Old 11-25-2010, 02:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
If I wasn't clear across the country.....I could fix it for my parents.

Tim, I'm sorry someone did this to your trailer.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Sorry for your loss, Tim. I am sure that someone will want to put this trailer back on the road.

CindyL
Old 11-28-2010, 12:06 PM   #11

Name: pat
Trailer: uhaul 13
nj
let me know what the salvage offer is....if you're located in maryland, I maybe interested, if the price is right...those photo's are heartbreaking.....
Old 11-28-2010, 04:10 PM   #12

Registry
Thanks again for the thoughts eveyone. A couple of forum members have expressed interest in restoring Patience. A sale, combined with a forum donation, is pending. Anyone interested can send me a personal message and I'll let you know the status.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:40 PM   #13

Registry
Patience has now gone on to a better place. Forum member mszabo has taken her home where he plans to restore her come spring. I'll try to get Hope, the tentative name of Patience' 1991 replacement Bigfoot, into the registry soon. Thanks again everyone.

Tags
bigfoot