VA 1988 16' Project Scamp $1800 OBO, decent condition but needs some work - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: 84 Scamp 13'
Virginia
1988 16' Project Scamp $1800 OBO, decent condition but needs some work

1988 16' Project Scamp $1800 OBO, decent condition but needs some work.

1988 16' Scamp Travel Trailer

I am selling my 1988 16' Scamp. These rarely pop-up in the mid-atlantic DC area. I purchased the trailer with the intent of renovating/customizing it to my liking but time and space constraints require me to list it for sale. At this point I've removed the bench modules, carpet (always wanted vinyl or pergo) so that I could inspect the current condition. Most of these older trailers encounter some common issues (window leaks, sections of
floor rot) which aren't uncovered until you begin to disassemble them. I've uncovered these issues and I've priced it accordingly since I don't intend on reassembling it. I hope that this translates to a clear picture of what the current condition of the trailer is:

Pros:
-16' Shell with all cabinet/closet fiberglass modules
-Lightweight trailer can be towed with gas efficient vehicle
-Trailer is rarely found on this side of the country
-Metal subframe in good condition
-Includes deluxe waterproof cover
-Installed brand new rear support jacks
-functioning A/C
-Cabinet Doors
-Includes cushions (These can be cleaned by stomping on them in the tub with water and detergent. Plenty of posts on this topic. This will help you avoid one of the major renovation expenses)
-includes kitchenette sink and propane 3-burner stove
-Includes plywood cut to original standards for bed/dinette.
-Newish tires including spare
-Includes electric brakes but not sure of condition
-Most of the disassembly has been performed and is ready for your customization
-Scamp factory is still in business and parts are available direct from Scamp

Uncovered Truth:
-Floor rot caused by window leak under front and rear window needs patching (fairly common in these older trailers). I've already created one of the cardboard templates to trace a new piece of wood (4'x8' piece of OSB is $13 at Home Depot)
-Marine fabric for the ceiling needs to be reattached using contact cement or 3M 90 Spray Adhesive.
-Fiberglass has a few nicks and some smaller holes from when the tail lights were replaced.
-Spare tire location needs to be painted or gelcoated.
-Requires table hardware unless you intend on using the rear area as a permanent bed
-Closet door was not included when I purchased. (My wife intended to hang up a curtain instead of a door to add to the decor)
-I removed the fresh water tank and tubing since it's a relatively inexpensive update and I figured it was better to start fresh in the plumbing department.

I've listed the trailer in this manner so that I don't waste your time and because many people love DIY projects and can tackle the trailer in its current condition. Most of the impressive fiberglass trailers that you'll come across are those that have been customized with the owner's touch. This trailer is NOT a complete redo in terrible shape. It's in decent condition and needs a new owner to pick up where I left off. Thanks for taking the time to view this listing.

Al - (703) 596-5613

Photos posted at the following craigslist ad: 1988 16' Scamp Travel Trailer
Old 04-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #2

Name: Lori
Trailer: Teardrop
Maryland
The Scamp website shows floor plans for the 16' Scamp. Is yours a layout #3, layout #4, or layout #5 (or something else)? Do you have a picture of the holes and nicks and the area of damage around the spare tire?
Thanks
Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 PM   #3

Virginia
Hi Lori,

The trailer is Layout #4 w/ the storage room. Here are a few shots including the spare tire portion. My intent was to buy a spare tire mount that bolts to the bumper. I think most trailer places carry them. The picture also shows some of the referenced nicks and screw holes that remained when the prior owner installed new taillights for titling purposes. Wasn't a major issue for me because most of it would be covered/sealed by new LED taillights w/ Butyl tape to seal the holes behind the lights. As I mentioned, lots of people travel great distances to view/purchase these trailers so please feel free to ask any follow-on questions. The least I can do is ensure that I provide sufficient details so that folks have a good idea of what they're purchasing. Seen plenty of stories of people not knowing what they purchased until they tear into it a bit (including myself).

This exercise of listing it for sale has me rehashing all of the cool mods and great things that these trailers can be customized into. Wish I could keep it but the wife wants me to get rid of one of my projects. I'm willing on entertaining any reasonable offers.

Thanks,
Al
Attached Thumbnails
AER-20110911-0001.jpg   AER-20110911-0035.jpg  

AER-20110911-0005.jpg   floorrot.JPG  

Old 04-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #4

Name: richie
Trailer: Casita patriot deluxe (sold)
Virginia
why am I broke, when something comes along i really want-?
surely would like to come & get this.
sparky1 in s.Va.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2008 20 ft Flagstaff Pop-Up (206ST) / 2005 Sienna
Sparky1, maybe offer a trade??
Old 04-28-2012, 09:50 AM   #6

Virginia
I have plenty CC's just didn't want to do it that way.
NAA keeping my 2000.I love it--
Old 04-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #7

Virginia
the floor is completly open to the road---i figured what it was, when I expanded the picture,of the piece of wood was holding the carpet.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM   #8

Virginia
Thanks for the various phone calls and messages. The Scamp was sold today to a nice couple from N.C.

Tags
scamp