1991 Casita 16 foot (NO TITLE) - For Sale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
1991 Casita 16 foot (NO TITLE) - For Sale

I purchased this 1991 Casita 16 footer with NO TITLE abnout two years ago. I've exhausted all "Legal" resources in getting a title here in SC. I give up! I can give you a notorized bill of sale but I cannot give you a TITLE. I will send more pictures upon request and any specific shot you want taken. This Casita does not have a bathroom but I will include a porta-potti. Two years ago there were two new tires and rims, a new window air conditioner and a small all electric dorm type refrigerator installed. The microwave is shot. The trailer can use a good cleaning inside and out and looks Ok when clean. It hasn't been cleaned for a long time as can be seen in the pictures. The roof top vent is leaking and you can see water stains on the floor in one picture. Someone "attempted" to do a roof top repair and the experience of that person shows. There seem to be no leak around the repairs. The door hinges are worn. Windows are plastic and scratched but not broken. I'm in SC just 25 miles due East of Augusta, GA.
One could clean it up, load it up and go camping but a good make-over would make it much nicer.
I will let it go for $2500. Please, Serious inquiries only. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Bunk_Beds_1.JPG   CIMG3027.jpg  

CIMG3029.jpg   CIMG3030.jpg  

Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Sorry to hear about your troubles. How frustrating. Here in Kansas, there is no title required for trailers that are under 2000 pounds. Your buyer needs to come from a state with similar laws.

It looks like it has been reconfigured. What else is going on in there?

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
It is amazing sometimes the differences between states. Titles, no titles, license plates, no plates, etc.. I assume you tried for a "home built" title? Sorry to hear of your problems

Bryan, I think that some of the Casitas did come with the bunk bed option for the side section right from the factory; is that what you are thinking looks modified?
Old 01-27-2010, 09:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
This may have been one that was owned by the USAF Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) section, based on the propane tank that says "MWR". I think most bases may have had the side bunk bed option installed also.
Is there a USAF base nearby that may have some history on the unit?

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Old 01-27-2010, 09:40 PM   #5

Yes Raya, I was speaking about the bunks on the side. I now realize that it's not a Scamp so it's certainly plausible. I'll have to look up the floor plan for this type of unit to see how it's configured. Now I'm curious!

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Here in Kansas, there is no title required for trailers that are under 2000 pounds. Your buyer needs to come from a state with similar laws.
Since it is 16' it would qualify for California's PTI (permanent trailer identification) license plates, and not require a title.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:13 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Registry
Quote:
This may have been one that was owned by the USAF Morale, Welfare and Recreation (MWR) section, based on the propane tank that says "MWR". I think most bases may have had the side bunk bed option installed also.
Is there a USAF base nearby that may have some history on the unit?

John
Very Interesting, as this is the 3rd 1991 Casita that I have seen with this layout,
and all three were located in the Carolinas.
Also, just checked John, and there are USAF Bases in both NC and SC,
Charleston SC, Seymour NC.
Perhaps, they are all from the same order?
Old 01-29-2010, 04:38 AM   #8

Trailer: 17 ft Casita
HI IS THE CAMPER STILL FOR SALE DAVID IN NC IF SO WOULD LIKE YOUR TELEPHONE NO TO DISCUSS CAMPER . THANKS
Old 01-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #9

It has been an interesting "learn" to find out how different the states are in the "titling" department. SC has some pretty strict guidlines due to the number of shady transactions over the years. GA and SC had a bad history due to their lax laws and SC's newer and stricter laws.
I could have made some semi-legal...totally unethical and not so moral decisions and got a title through GA but I do not live my life that way. The laws, even though we sometimes disagree with them, can actually protect us in some cases and I choose to abide by them and go that route.
To get a homebuilt title in SC you must show and prove (with purchase reciepts) that you have done "Major" renovations to an already manufactured camper like this. After two years of frustration, my wife and I are getting a larger "other than fiberglass" camper....It does have fiberglass siding so it's not a total betrayal.......is it?
There is an Air force base in Sumper, SC so who knows!
The fellow that I purchased it from told me that the last three persons who owned it did not have a title. (he's included in the three) He also told me that he hired an attorney to help him either track down previous owners and get a title but we see the outcome of that. You'd think that a lawyer could get something like this done! Oh well, what else is there to say. I washed the camper yesterday and have some fresh pictures now. I didn't want anyone to say that I was posting "Dirty" pictures on the internet.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:52 AM   #10

Quote:
HI IS THE CAMPER STILL FOR SALE DAVID IN NC IF SO WOULD LIKE YOUR TELEPHONE NO TO DISCUSS CAMPER . THANKS
Your CAPS LOCK button is stuck.

1991 Scamp 16'
Old 01-29-2010, 10:34 AM   #11

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Quote:
I washed the camper yesterday and have some fresh pictures now. I didn't want anyone to say that I was posting "Dirty" pictures on the internet.
What does the front interior look like? Since there is no bathroom, does it also have the gaucho/bunkbed up front? How many would it sleep?
Old 01-29-2010, 02:16 PM   #12

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I just added three new pictures to the top post for George.
Old 01-29-2010, 03:33 PM   #13

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I could have made some semi-legal...totally unethical and not so moral decisions and got a title through GA but I do not live my life that way. The laws, even though we sometimes disagree with them, can actually protect us in some cases and I choose to abide by them and go that route.
George,

Just to set the record straight, I did not mean to imply that you were unethical or immoral when I mentioned the "home built" title. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I know of a case or two (not me but other people) where people working for the DMV have actually kind of "suggested" that an owner go that way ("homebuilt"), simply because (in those cases) everyone realized that there was just a "glitch" in the system that prevented them getting a title (vs. someone trying to get away with something wrong).

For example, the trailer comes from a non-titling state, and the proper documents cannot be procured for some reason (but it is clear to all parties that the trailer is not stolen).

Or, there are no "VIN" numbers to be found on the trailer, but ownership is not in question. (Some of our eggs had weird things, like 40 year old trailers on which the original VINs were placed with a tinfoil sticker...yeah, that was going to last outside for 40 years ).

That's not to say that you should use one of those "loopholes," but on the other hand, it doesn't necessarily mean that those who do are unethical or immoral. Sometimes, everyone is pulling for the same thing, i.e. licensing a trailer that the previous owners, the new owners, and the state all agree is on the up-and-up, but laws are such that it cannot be titled in the usual way.

Again, not saying you should do anything different than you are doing, or anything that you don't feel is right; just clarifying my response from earlier in the thread.

Raya
Old 01-29-2010, 05:33 PM   #14

Quote:
George,

Just to set the record straight, I did not mean to imply that you were unethical or immoral when I mentioned the "home built" title. I'm sorry if it came across that way.

I know of a case or two (not me but other people) where people working for the DMV have actually kind of "suggested" that an owner go that way ("homebuilt"), simply because (in those cases) everyone realized that there was just a "glitch" in the system that prevented them getting a title (vs. someone trying to get away with something wrong).

For example, the trailer comes from a non-titling state, and the proper documents cannot be procured for some reason (but it is clear to all parties that the trailer is not stolen).

Or, there are no "VIN" numbers to be found on the trailer, but ownership is not in question. (Some of our eggs had weird things, like 40 year old trailers on which the original VINs were placed with a tinfoil sticker...yeah, that was going to last outside for 40 years ).

That's not to say that you should use one of those "loopholes," but on the other hand, it doesn't necessarily mean that those who do are unethical or immoral. Sometimes, everyone is pulling for the same thing, i.e. licensing a trailer that the previous owners, the new owners, and the state all agree is on the up-and-up, but laws are such that it cannot be titled in the usual way.

Again, not saying you should do anything different than you are doing, or anything that you don't feel is right; just clarifying my response from earlier in the thread.

Raya
Raya, I did not think for a second thatyou or anyone here had suggested an illegal or immoral move on my part and I certainly didn't take offence at anything that you or anyone else has written about. I am in appreciation to everybody who has responded with any comment at all. My ongoing learning is due to the valuable input here by those who have gone on before me. The other things were suggested by some acquaintances and "friends" where I live and not on this forum.
I have been a little spectator with not much to say to anyone but I have gained some valuable experience from the other owners and posters here, I listen and try to learn. Last year I followed up on some suggestions posted to me on the forum but ran into dead ends but you folks tried to help...it just didn't pan out. I Thank each and every one who tried to help!
Old 01-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #15

Trailer: 2001 Scamp 13 ft
George-O - Am interested in buying the trailer you have listed. Please send me your telephone number and I will call you. Thanks, Ed D
Old 03-03-2010, 06:26 PM   #16

I am in SC. Can you use it legally in SC? Is the unit still available?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #17

Quote:
I am in SC. Can you use it legally in SC? Is the unit still available?

Kim, I still have it but I do not not know if you can use it in SC. I've been told (not by the SCDMV) that if it weighs less than 2500 lbs it can be towed within the state. I have not tried to confirm this with DMV.
I have made several calls to them about this camper and each person has a different answer for the same question.
I tried the "Homebuilt" route but that only applies to something that is actuall "home built" and not refurbished, made over or fixed up.
A salvage title cannot be issued because it was not insured then wrecked and wrote off by the insuring company.

Sorry for the delay in answering you, I haven't been here too much lately. Thanks, George O
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
George,
Can you just get a Manufacturers Statement of Origin (MSO) from Casita, and then apply for a new title if none exists using the form at the following website?
http://www.scdmvonline.com/DMVNew/forms/400.pdf

John
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Old 06-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #19

Checking to see the outcome with the Casita. Did you sell it or straighten out the title problem. Thanks

Quote:
George-O - Am interested in buying the trailer you have listed. Please send me your telephone number and I will call you. Thanks, Ed D
Old 06-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Checking to see the outcome with the Casita. Did you sell it or straighten out the title problem. Thanks
John, I haven't tried that but I will contact Casita to see. Who knows they may do it.

Henry, No, I still do not have a title but I have found a company who claims they can get one and are working on it.

Tags
casita