1992 Scamp 13' (SF Bay Area) - $6499 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 PM   #1
Name: Todd
1992 Scamp 13' (SF Bay Area) - $6499

Up for sale is our second owner 1992 Scamp. This is a 13 foot model with no bathroom. We purchased this trailer less than one year ago and have made numerous improvements to it. My wife and I are now expecting our first child and thus looking to liquidate some extra assets as we prepare to move to a new home. This Scamp has been tons of fun and we will certainly look to purchase another one once we settle into our new home/life next summer.

Like all Scamps, this one was purchased direct from the manufacturer in 1992. Scamps are fairly rare in California as they must all be delivered or driven out from the factory in Minnesota. We have all the original documentation for this Scamp including the original bill of sale. This unit sleeps 3 adults and one child. It has a bed and then two bunk beds. The top bunk bed can only hold 100 pounds, thus the child rating. It has a ice box, 2 burner stove, 2 vents, 1 fan and multiple interior lights along with 2 AC outlets. All but one of the lights can be used via the deep cycle marine battery. There is also a sink with a hand pump or city water connection and a 10 gallon water tank. Without all the heavy additions, this is one of the lightest Scamps you will find. I would estimate it's total weight to be about 1350 pounds based on what others have quoted for similar setups. Do not be fooled by those who tell you these trailers weigh 900 pounds. This is just not true of any lightweight fiberglass trailer.

Although we have not used brakes since our vehicle is more than adequate to tow, the axle on this year is ready to have brakes added. This would probably run you about $300 in parts and labor. We were quoted one hour labor and I believe the parts are about $100 from the Scamp website.

We have made the following additions to the Scamp in the last 5 months

• Air Conditioning. We added a portable air conditioning setup that works through the rear window. The 1992 model does not have bracing in the roof to support a roof top unit. This small window unit works great and is easy to install. You can also leave it behind when it is not hot out.
  • New curtains. All curtains we're replaced with new fabric. The fabric has blackout cloth in between to make sure things stay dark when closed. The fabric has also been UV protected to make sure it stays colorful for a long time
  • New gas line. We replaced the gas line with a new piece as the old line was kinking and possibly clogged
  • New 7 pin connector. Completely rewired and works with any 7 pin connection. 7 pins are nice because they charge the deep cycle marine battery when powered
  • New deep cycle marine battery. Will run the lights and fan for 3 or 4 days at a time if used at night. This includes 4 interior lights, one exterior light and one vent fan.
  • Painted cabinets. The cabinets have all be sanded and painted to match the new interior color scheme
  • New safety chains. The originals were screwed on. These are now welded. We also have hitch and ball locks with matching key sets. Trailer uses a 1 7/8' ball.
  • New tank holder. Propane tank is now securely attached to tongue
  • New kitchen table top and leg
  • New rock guard decal

The scamp has zero leaks and looks great. The tires are essentially new and the previous owner had just had the bearing repacked. Everything works without fail. All locks and windows open/close correctly. Registered with a PTI plate which means you only pay once every 5 years. I believe it only runs about $20 to renew.

We'll also throw in wheel chalks and negotiate on all the other little special nick knacks and tools inside which we have found useful. We took the Scamp out 4 times and it always gets tons of compliments. It tows easily and is a breeze to setup. We have it stored in doors so it has been protected from the elements and can be shown most days between 9-6. The trailer is located in San Jose.

feel free to contact me directly at todd @ dippedinsauce (dot) com

Old 12-30-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
I'd like to note a couple additional items on our Scamp. First, the pricing you see is consistent with what we have asked on other sites, like Craigslist. I would love to sell the trailer to a member of this forum and will offer a discount. There is some built in flexibility with this price. I am really looking for a friendly sale to make everyone's life easier.

Assuming we get a reasonable offer, I will also donate $100 to this site as a thank you for the help it has provided. I am also open to giving $100 to any member who refers someone to me. I have very much enjoyed this site and often tell others about it. I have a great deal of experience with forums and this one has always been one of the most helpful and friendly in terms of communications....

Old 01-03-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
The trailer has sold......