CA 1995 Scamp 13' Selling Advise. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #1

Name: Alf
Trailer: Scamp
California
1995 Scamp 13' Selling Advise.

Howdy folks,

Sorry if this is the wrong section, but I need some advise on selling my '95 Scamp 13 footer.

Recently notified I'll be losing my job, so I need to sell a few toys and build a lookin' for work fund....

Scamp is stock with forced-air heater and 3-way fridge. It has the premium Oak interior and table/bunk option in front. Twin propane tanks, and an upgraded Charge Wizard electrical system with twin AGM batteries. I've upgraded the lights to LEDs, installed a new pump/faucet. I've also upgraded the hitch for a 2" ball, and better jack. No rust of any kind. So Calif trailer.

I've owned it for 10 years and had it out 4 times

Trailer is in excellent cond (garaged)

So what's a range on price? I realize it's hard without a pic, so ballpark guesses would be fine. I'm in the So Cal area.

Thanks very much!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Alf a good place to take a look at prices is at Fiberglass-rv-4sale.com - there are both current listing and old/sold listings & split up by brand.
Old 09-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #3

California
Thank you!
Old 09-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #4

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Is it similar to this one Alf, might give you a starting point. I would like a deluxe like that but they are always far away from me

2002 Scamp 13' Custom Deluxe Trailer | Eau Claire, WI | Fiberglass RV's For Sale
Old 09-27-2013, 02:27 PM   #5

California
Thanks for that link - that's exactly like mine! Save for the over-the-bunk storage and elec brakes. I also have a floor to roof wardrobe next to the door that I added removable shelving to for the zombie-apocalypse getaway

I did also add a folding screen door I bought from Scamp. My favorite addition.

So that's a birch interior... Thought mine was golden oak, but I dunno.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #6

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A month ago would have been "the" time to sell, but SoCal is always a good market for a turn-key unit. If you can advertise it that way, you should have to beat off buyers with a stick.

Clean it up real well and apply 4 coats of ZEP "Wet Look Floor Finish" and the outside will shine like new. If the tires are over about 5 years old, start off with new tires, it's a proven selling point. Set it up and verify that everything still works, esp the refrigerator and furnace.

We have sold two 13' Eggs in SoCal in the past 14 months @ what could be called premium prices. We place ads in the LA Craigslist, as well as a premium ad in <<<fiberglass-rv-4sale.com>>>.

I'd start at around $8600 and sit back and wait for the phone to ring.

BTW: If you can, add in the line "Will Deliver", with some details, it will help your selling. There's nothing like instant gratification to help a buyer make a decision.

Old 09-27-2013, 02:33 PM   #7

California
Bob, I now owe you ....

Thanks for the excellent info.
Old 09-27-2013, 02:46 PM   #8

Like the Honda Guys, Always Happy to Help.....

Old 09-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
So, what is the price to be listed for sale??
Old 09-29-2013, 01:10 PM   #10

California
I'll prolly start the listing at $8499 after I get new tires, curtains, and do a stem to stern cleaning/wax/wood polish, and systems inspection.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #11

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
or you can ask $$ less and sell it now without the additional work, the sooner you list a price, the sooner it can sell, your decision.
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #12

FWIW:

I have sold 8 FGRV's in the past 6 years and have learned:

Buyers with Big $$$ in hand will want and expect turn-key condition and ready to go, as if it was new.

Others, like me, without Big $$$ in hand, that know how easy most repairs and clean-up can be, will low ball at a lower price those rigs that buyers with the big bucks won't even bother to look at.

Just as in real life, those with money will always have money and, as a result, it's usually easier to sell to that market. You will get fewer calls and it might take longer, but that buyer will always come along.

I would put about a $2000 premium on the mentioned Scamp for being cleaned up and ready to go vs. as-is. Not bad for about $200 and a weeks work.

And, BTW: The CA Market is a lot different than in the cold and /or wet states at this time of year.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:53 PM   #13

California
I really only have a long day's work, or perhaps, day and a half as I tend to keep the trailer ready to go, except for the exterior. And I don't mind a heaving a bit of sweat into it if it'll mean a better sale.

Thanks again!
Old 10-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #14

Name: Les
Trailer: 96 Scamp 13'
California
When you are ready to sell, please let me know, as I am looking to replace the one I sold earlier this year to another member.
Where are you located? Thanks, Les
Old 10-09-2013, 05:30 PM   #15

California
I certainly will. Just ordered 3 tires from Costco and that'll take about a week, then I have to get them mounted...

I'm in the San Fernando Valley, near Van Nuys.

Tags
scamp