2 New 15" trailer tires and rims $200 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-17-2010, 01:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Scamp
2 New 15" trailer tires and rims $200

2 New Goodyear trailer tires, ST205/75 R15 mounted on new rims. Perfect condition. $200 obo Located in Portland OR. Changed to smaller tires on new camper.

Contact Denis
503-502-2757
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Denis, interesting. Most folks are looking to go to larger tires! So, what's the born-on-date of the tires. You'll find the numbers in an oval stamped on the tire. And what's the spacing on the lugs?
Old 09-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #3

Hi,
The born-on date is "0408" (I didn't know such a thing existed) This 2009 camper was special ordered with a high-angle torsion axle and the 15" tires. The camper sat very high, making blocking necessary every time you set up camp. It also meant the camper is very tilted when attached to the car, even with the highest hitch available. I knew that people prefer bigger tires. The factory said 15 would not fit with the normal axle. My previous camper had 13, so heck, 14 sounded pretty good to me. There apparently is no difference in how the camper handles so I assume it is a question of tire wear? Anyway we have a normal axle and 14" tires now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Denis, interesting. Most folks are looking to go to larger tires! So, what's the born-on-date of the tires. You'll find the numbers in an oval stamped on the tire. And what's the spacing on the lugs?
Old 09-18-2010, 11:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpiano View Post
Hi,
The born-on date is "0408" (I didn't know such a thing existed)
The tires were born the fourth week of 2008:

"Just like Budweiser beer, tires bear a "born on" date. Imprinted on one or both sidewalls is an alphanumeric code of a dozen or so letters and numbers that begins with "DOT." Tires produced starting in 2000 have a four-digit birth date code at the end of the DOT number. The first two numbers indicate the week, and the last two the year. So, for example, a DOT number ending in 0205 means the tire was produced the second week of January 2005.

This date is important because rubber deteriorates with age. A tire that's been in service for five or six years should be replaced regardless of tread depth. Cut a year or two off that for vehicles that are not garaged during the day or are run in areas of high ground-level ozone."

From here: Getting a grip on tire fundamentals
Old 09-18-2010, 06:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the info, learn something every year. Whenever they were built, they sold today. I am not seeing how to remove the original post, so perhaps someone can clue me in on that.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:00 PM   #6

Denis, someone got some good tires and wheels. I provided the info because I think it's important when one goes to the tire store to check the born-on-date. Not all places turn trailer tires over very fast and it's possible to get old tires even if they look brand new.

I'm sure a moderator will probably mark the title "sold." So are we going to see you in a couple of weeks at the NOG????

Tags
tires