FL 2014 scamp 16 deluxe - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: pat
Trailer: scamp
Ontario
2014 scamp 16 deluxe

Used once, finished in oak, with almost all available options offered by scamp. Sitting with me here in Florida right now on its maiden voyage. 20,500 us dollars. Like new, which it basically is!!
Old 02-04-2015, 12:00 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
any pictures???
Old 02-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Is this a Canadian registered trailer that can't be registered in the US until it has been legally imported?
Old 02-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Is this a Canadian registered trailer that can't be registered in the US until it has been legally imported?
I sent the seller a PM asking for clarification of that very issue.
Old 02-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Ontario
sellers mistake

Thanks for the heads up guys, I'm officially learning how to sell a trailer imported from the u.s. to canada., and now mistakenly for sale in the u.s.This trailer is titled in Ontario. It is a side dinette.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #6

Name: Richard
Trailer: Currently shopping
Florida
is this trailer situated in south Florida right now? 2/5/15
Old 02-05-2015, 07:47 PM   #7

Florida
Is this trailer physically situated in Florida - or south Florida, better yet?<_<
Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you didn't import it when you first crossed into the U.S. you usually have to go all the way back to the border and fill out import papers and, if you are a non U.S. resident Canadian, that may bring up some other issues of which I am not aware.
Being a U.S. made Scamp may get you some slack, good luck and let us all know what you find out.

We have done this dance here in the past.

Old 02-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #9

Ontario
central florida

This trailer is in central Florida right now. It was imported from Minnesota to Ontario this past December and is now on vacation in central florida. Near Bushnell.
Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 PM   #10

Florida
<_<keep me posted on the resolution of import issues, because getting to Bushnell is not difficult. I'm a domicile and permanent resident of Florida. Yet right now, I realize my Volvo s60 is marginal for that trailer. I believe it would be okay for a 13 foot, and only basically staying on flat terrain such as found in Florida. Perhaps it would work with yours, as a temporary solution though. I'm new to this all, so bear this in mind. Though I've gotten terrific advice from many at FGrv.com. Going to find out more about the Volvo from Volvo of America.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:04 PM   #11

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
WHY is it for sale already????
Old 02-06-2015, 07:07 AM   #12

Ontario
why

Hey there darral, its about time somebody asked me that. Well i knew i was pushing the limit hauling it with a subaru outback but i was hoping it would tow better at higher speeds with all my gear in it and mountain bikes on the back of it. Took it to cat scale and looks about 2600 lbs. Adjusting gear inside to hover around my max hitch weight of 200 lbs. It wants to sway just above 60 mph. My mileage is crappier than i thought it would be. But in the end if i was more camper than mountain biker it would be fine.but thats not the case. I cant put my bikes on the back of the scamp as its too much of a teeter totter even trying to compensate loading other things upfront. With the rig i have short trips would be fine. Long trips from canada to florida or arizona , I've decided it just isn't for me. I'm still learning things the hard way.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:41 AM   #13

That's a good reason to sell.
Sounds like it's gonna be a Looong, sloooow trip back home.
Good Luck and Drive 55... (or 88.514 kph, but that doesn't sound as neat)

Old 02-06-2015, 08:38 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I pull a 13' (1760 lbs) with a 4 cyl Nissan Frontier Manual shift tranny. I wouldnt THINK about stepping up to a 16' of any camper...much less loaded down! Do you know what the tow capacity rating is on your Sub? Mine is 3500 lbs and I'm only half way there but STILL wouldnt pull anything heavier. Going up some of these Tennessee hills, that lil truck really has to dig!

No offense, but how did you conclude it would pull ok? Out west where it's mostly flat, I could handle your trailer, but you put it in hills....it's a WHOLE different ball game my friend!

Sounds like someone may get a good deal. Wish I was in the market for a 16'er Deluxe!

[QUOTE=athills55;503350]Hey there darral, its about time somebody asked me that. Well i knew i was pushing the limit hauling it with a subaru outback
Old 02-06-2015, 08:41 AM   #15

Let us know if you find a way to get around the Importing question as it has been a topic here several times in the past, that of Canadians wanting to sell their rigs in the U.S., without a solution.
In one instance the unknowing buyer wound up having to scrap the trailer out for parts. In another case the local constabulary had to advise the sellers that they were about to embark into a crime.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:05 AM   #16

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Just a thought, Pat... if the importing issue proves to be unresolvable, have you thought about arranging to have the trailer shipped to Ontario, or at least a place near the border? It would save the headache and wear-and-tear of a long, overweight tow. April would likely be a favorable time to bring a very nice trailer to market in Ontario. And you could relax and enjoy it until then.
Old 02-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #17

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Yes, we cross the border frequently and a common question is are you leaving anything in the States. We have sold trailers to our US friends and even taken them across the border so they can check it out but are always very clear that they have to come back across the border to do the deal.
The border guards are very clear that as Canadians you cannot sell anything in the States.
We spoke to an American recently who bought a boat from a Canadian in the States. Of course when he went to license it he couldn't as didn't have the correct import forms. They all had to go back to the border to complete the deal (a few hours drive) and the Canadian apparently got a real going over as the guard had previoulsy asked 'do you plan to leave anything in the States'' and he had said no. The American was really worried he would loose the boat and the $20000 he paid.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:22 AM   #18

Ontario
Looks like I'll be hauling it home , my Subaru is a 6 cylinder that has tow cap. of 3000. It has no trouble pulling the scamp , it just sways above 60 mph. And if I put my mountain bikes on the back of the scamp it sways above 55. Thanks much folks for all your help , good advice and keeping me out of trouble. Unless I find out a solution on the import stuff you can consider this trailer no longer for sale. I will keep you posted folks and thanks again!!!
Old 02-06-2015, 11:43 AM   #19

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by athills55 View Post
Looks like I'll be hauling it home , my Subaru is a 6 cylinder that has tow cap. of 3000. It has no trouble pulling the scamp , it just sways above 60 mph. And if I put my mountain bikes on the back of the scamp it sways above 55. Thanks much folks for all your help , good advice and keeping me out of trouble. Unless I find out a solution on the import stuff you can consider this trailer no longer for sale. I will keep you posted folks and thanks again!!!

Its unfortunate you needed to discover first hand why I have indicated here many many times - more than some here would like every time someone asks about towing the Subaru Outback that people should stick to a 13' not a 16'. The Subaru is capable of providing a real amazing solid tow but only if you have at least 10% of the total trailer weight on the tongue.

Having pulled thousands of miles with a Subaru Outback I would suggest there are few things you need to do in order to tow it home safely without the sway. Any yes as others have said as a Canadian registered trailer it does indeed need to go back to Canada in order for you to sell it. If you don't do that and sell it in the US the buyer will NEVER get it registered/plated in their name.

First off you need to get your tongue weight up to 10% of the total trailer weight (including the tongue). Yes some people tow with less than 10% on the tongue but they also don't often travel at over 55 mph. It unfortunate but with all the options you ordered the weight of your trailer is going to require you to put far more weight on the tongue than what the Subaru is rated for. If you weighed the trailer while it was still attached to the car its probable weighs closer or over the 2800lb range loaded - meaning you need 280lbs on the tongue in order to tow without sway at 65 mph. Or if it was unattached when you weighed it you will still need to put 260lbs on the tongue - which is 60lbs more than what the Outback is rated for.

Regardless in order to get it home safely you only have a few options.

The first thing I would do is loose the bikes off the back of the trailer. But them on the roof of the Outback or inside the trailer. Having that extra weight hanging off the back of the trailer is not helping your sway situation at all, especially with such a light tongue weight. Putting them on the roof of the Outback is the best option as that will reduce the overall weight of the trailer and result in a reduction of how much you will need to go over the Subaru's tongue weight capacity to obtain a solid tow.

I would also go through the trailer and look at what other items I have packed that are low usage but adding weight and have a garage sale where I was. You would be surprised at how much all those small items add up to weight wise.

If you are not carrying any rear passengers or cargo in the rear of the car you should be just fine towing it home with another 40lbs of weight on the tongue in order to get it closer to the 10% rule.

Your other option is to travel at 55mph or below. Keep in mind if you have the stock tires on the trailer they are not rated for above 65mph regardless. You may also want to take a look at the load rating on them as your Scamp sounds like it may be on the heavier side, so speed may not be in your best interest either way.
Old 02-06-2015, 12:28 PM   #20

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
South Carolina
Why not just get a sway control bar installed at camping world?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2015 Oliver Legacy Elite II - Hull #69
Follow my blog - https://www.wincrasher.blogspot.com

Tags
scamp