Attention Uhaul owners - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-20-2010, 11:09 PM   #1

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
Attention Uhaul owners

If you want to get in on a UHaul neon sign, here is one for sale on ebay:

U-Haul Neon Sign ..Rare Original - eBay (item 200544415893 end time Nov-23-10 15:20:03 PST)

We have one of these. They fit nicely in the front window and look nice, except then people assume you are renting your trailer.

CindyL

Old 12-27-2010, 06:22 AM   #2

Name: Marty
Trailer: 85 U-Haul CT
Ohio
uHaul neon sign

I'm the lucky one who bought the neon sign. I was also the unlucky one who received it broken while in post. A small one inch piece broke off of the tube. Anyone in the Columbus, Ohio area know of a place that could repair it cheaply?

Marty D

Old 12-27-2010, 07:40 AM   #3

Illinois
Registry
I am so sorry, Marty. Did the seller ship it UPS and insure it? We ordered one off Craigslist that arrived broken. The seller had insured it, so she instigated a refund through the UPS insurance process.
In the meantime, I did look into repair here in Chicago. I cannot remember the details, that is, simply having the sign repaired, but I remember looking into having a neon artist redo the whole thing. Quite pricey!

I hope you can work this out. We ended up finding one later that we could drive to pick up.

CindyL
Old 12-27-2010, 07:59 AM   #4

Ohio
CindyL,
It came USPS and luckly I asked for insurance. The shipper didn't want to deal with it at first, but had to get involved since he insured it. Post Office didn't want to pay for the shipping, but finally relented and paid for it all. The sign is still too nice to trash. It only has a tiny break (piece missing) in the lower "zag", not in the logo itself. Hoping that I can find a reasonable repair shop close to me. I imagine that this is a rare sign as such.

Marty D
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #5

Illinois
Registry
Well, I hope that you are able to save it. I guarantee you will get lots of comments. We have had strangers take pictures of the trailer specifically with the sign lit.
Attached Thumbnails
uhaul with sign.jpg  
Old 12-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Check your yellow pages, Marty. I would be surprised if you can get it fixed for what you paid, but who knows? Meantime, I found this animated GIF (the sign was already sold):

Cindy it looks like there was supposed to be some shadow box lettering under the green swoosh! Is yours animated?
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2010, 10:01 AM   #7

Illinois
Registry
No, it is not animated. Our sign below the swoosh has a white oval though. Your animated sign does not have that. There is a box below that though that looks as if it might have had a dealer name or something at some point. Someday, we plan to add our names, although they might not be visible in the window.

The first time I saw one of these signs in a dealership window, it was not animated either.

CindyL
Old 12-27-2010, 10:02 AM   #8

Ohio
My broken sign looks like it would have been neat, but I really like the animated one. I did find a uHaul clock (60's?) at a local antique ship. It's been there awhile, but I keep forgetting to see how much they want for it. Actually, have been too excited about the rehab on "Orsen". I had a new Dexter running gear with brakes installed a couple of months ago, and now it is getting new jalousie windows (side windows)fitted into it. Am thinking about doing the front and back as well. Can't decide.

Marty D
Old 12-27-2010, 10:11 AM   #9

Illinois
Registry
Please post pix. It sounds like it will be unique.
I bought the hubby a custom spare tire cover for Xmas. They should begin working on it this week, I think. It will look something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
uhaul tire cover.png  
Old 12-27-2010, 10:58 AM   #10

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I'm the hubby she bought it for! In case you're wondering, HOWIE is short for "Hotel on Wheels." Since we have a 19" LCD TV, a microwave, a water heater, privacy room with Port-A-Pottie and shower, etc., we thought the name was appropriate. In fact, we've stayed in many cheap motel rooms with less!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:08 PM   #11

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
try to find a sign shop, a real sign shop that does neon, they should have no problem fixing that.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:29 PM   #12

Name: James
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Ohio
Registry
Now I'm glad I didn't bid on it, joking. Did the USPS pay out the insurance claim?? I have always had problems getting USPS to pay for claims.

Tags
uhaul