Compact Jr., $600, Lodi, CA - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2009, 08:29 PM   #1

Trailer: Compact II
Mini camping trailer - $600 (Lodi)
Date: 2009-08-22, 12:55PM PDT
Reply to: see below

Adorable tiny camping trailer with pop up top. We have enjoyed this little guy for 20yrs. So light can be moved by hand. Queen bed, table seats 5, potty, propane stove, sink, fridge freezer (runs on propane ot 110. Water tank, propane tank, spare tire. Everything works perfectly. Truly a little gem. Minor repairs such as screening can be done for addional fee. See web site of club for Compact Jr trailers. $600. 209 518-9457.

http://stockton.craigslist.org/rvs/1336891222.html
Old 08-26-2009, 09:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr
I guess I bought too soon -- this one starts off better equipped and at a lower price than what I got. I think someone's going to be very happy.
Old 08-26-2009, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
That would be a fantastic buy.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Smile

Too far away!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Too far away!
No it's not -- my nephew lives in Lodi. You need an agent?
Old 08-27-2009, 06:46 AM   #6

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry

Name:   3mb3oa3p75O85P25R798m6d97bdeee80a1403.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  8.1 KB
[attachment=27417:3m43p73l...97b51b65.
jpg]
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Darn,

I would love a Compact Jr. because it would go perfectly with my square car (Volvo 240 station wagon). Also, I love the layout of the two long bunks with table between.

Drat that they are almost all on the west coast!

I even have a good friend who lives in California....

(Of course I spent all last night trying not to think about it.)

(Unsuccessfully)

Raya
Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #8

My wife pointed out the dates on the photos -- either the camera's mis-set or the photos are pretty old.

I used the wrong word when I mentioned I have a nephew in Lodi and asked Frederick if he wanted an agent. What I really meant was someone with eyeballs and a camera to better document the features and condition of the trailer. The offer's open to anyone, but my nephew does have a day job and I would expect the trailer to have sold by now if its condition and price are as described. I would expect that he be recompensed for his time.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
You need an agent?
I tried to answer this last night just as the server was reset, and was bumped off the site.

Robert would say that it is just far enough away, and that we already have the perfect trailer for us... I hope it goes to a newbie who will camp in it, and not to a flipper.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #10

Yeah, Frederick, I got bumped off by the server reset last night too -- but I wasn't going to let that stop me! I signed on again a few minutes later.

I too was attracted but I've now made enough mods to mine that I don't want to start over. I've already spent the money for the fridge and other pieces that were missing from mine. And that trailer needs some of the same expensive stuff as mine, such as a new axle with brakes, which means the frame needs to be beefed up to handle the torque from the brakes.

I sure would like to see one that is still original and in good condition so I could see how the storage-stowage under the dinette seats was accessed, and how the fridge and drawers above and below were arranged. But I'm working on my own solutions because I gotta do something to make it useable.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #11

Trailer: Compact Jr
Dana, If you need those pics let me know what specificaly you are looking for. my compact is still all original and in good shape. the wife wants to paint the cabinets but has not yet. as for the under dinet seat storage, it is just a long pice of plywood with 2 hinges. just lift up and there is all the space you need.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:56 PM   #12

Thanks Heath!

So does the whole dinette seat lift up, or only a portion of it? From the miscellaneous bits that were left of the seats in ours it looked like there may have been a 30" or so section that lifted out. The front had a thin piece of plywood (3/32" ?? thick) approx 12"x22" stapled over a 1" frame, and there were several other similar pieces scattered about but not attached anywhere.

I'll look over your older posts to see how the fridge and drawers were arranged.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:32 AM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Compact II
Quote:
Yeah, Frederick, I got bumped off by the server reset last night too -- but I wasn't going to let that stop me! I signed on again a few minutes later.

I too was attracted but I've now made enough mods to mine that I don't want to start over. I've already spent the money for the fridge and other pieces that were missing from mine. And that trailer needs some of the same expensive stuff as mine, such as a [b]new axle with brakes, which means the frame needs to be beefed up to handle the torque from the brakes.

I sure would like to see one that is still original and in good condition so I could see how the storage-stowage under the dinette seats was accessed, and how the fridge and drawers above and below were arranged. But I'm working on my own solutions because I gotta do something to make it useable.
hi, my 73 Hunter Compact II was like a time capsule when got it 1/09; no modifications other than a floor to ceiling stack of plastic drawers in closet which still leaves just enough room for portapotty but no place to hang clothes. Storage under benches only accessible by lifting the long bench tops = not used a lot as a result. The ice box takes up half of height where it is and below it are several drawers. These easily accessible so used a lot. In mine there is no oven so again several drawers which are used. An oven would be great but drawers more useful. At floor level nearby is the furnace which I will be taking out to gain more storage for Diet Coke and the cast iron dutch oven I use instead of an oven.

I have a storage question - where on earth do I put the smaller size EZUP while traveling? Floor of trailer? Car is full of me, two dogs, folding chair, toolbox, and huge xtreme cooler.
Pat
Old 08-30-2009, 06:11 AM   #14

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Dana,
On my 1973 CJ, the bench tops are 1/2" plywood cut into 2 pieces per side. They are not true rectangles due to the outer edge side following the shape of the wall. The two starboard pieces are 23 3/4" x 35 1/2" (rear) and 23 1/4" x 36" (front). The port side pieces are 24" x 47 1/2" (rear) and 23 3/4" x 23 1/2" (front). These are not hinged; they just lift upward. They each have 2 pieces of scrape 1" x 1" wood blocks screwed to the underside, aisle edge to keep them from sliding around. I believe this is original to the trailer.

My benches also have 2 access doors on the front side. The starboard doors are 11" x 25" and 11" x 21 1/2". The port doors are both 11" x 21". The spacing between the doors differs. The starboard doors are all the way forward while the port doors have one forward and the other at the rear with a 27" gap between them. They are hinged at the bottom edge. I don't know if these are original; but, they were were covered with the same faux walnut contact paper as the bench fronts.

I hope this helps. Tom Trostel
Old 08-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #15

Hi Tom, yours sounds quite different from what I had in mine before I took out all the rotten and mildewed wood.

This picture shows what was nailed down with the original T-head nails, and was prbably original.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p1050114.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	23016

The white board at the left of the picture is the front of the starboard cot, and is really very thin plywood over a 1" frame.

Then against the wall is a lip that extends out further than the furring strip -- my guess is that this is the area that had the liftable/removeable lid to gain access to the storage area. The wheel well pretty much ends the storage area.

I think a previous owner of your trailer made the access doors because it's such a pain to lift out the backreast, lift out the cushion, then lift out the lid, to finally get down to what he wanted. I too have thought about access doors but I hate digging stuff out of cupboards at floor level, so I had been thinking of making some slide out or roll out bins. At least that way if I want what is in back it is as easily accessed as what's in front.