Found! - Support Bar for 13' Scamp - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-21-2008, 01:39 PM   #15

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via MSN to Coach George Jessup
Quote:
...., we are thinking of making a removable support that when in motion will be locked into place, but when we stop, we can remove it out of the way, ....
while transport is the most curcial time you need the support..... ehhhh.... not sure its not needed AT ALL the rest of the time though.

My vote is a support should be there full time to hold the weight of the cabinets above.

Old 11-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
A three-year old Scamp parts list has the support for $18, plus shipping. Personally I like it because I can fasten little rectangular baskets to hold my flatware, pens, etc.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:23 PM   #17

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
I guess that all depends on how much weight we put in the upper cabinets. I don't know how long this trailer has been used without a support bar, but there does not seem to be any signs of bowing due to the support not being there. When we picked it up, it had really old tires with good tread, so we are guessing it was not really traveled much, and more likely just sat for a long time. I don't see any signs of bowing on the side without the support. We might find a solution that is just out of the way enough to leave it in permanently, as right now this is all in the planning stages. I would venture to guess that if we keep the weight in the upper cabinets to a minimum, removing the brace when stopped, even for only short amounts of time while we are actually using the counter space should not be a problem. I can definitely see issues with traveling unbraced.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:36 PM   #18

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Quote:
I guess that all depends on how much weight we put in the upper cabinets.
One thing to keep in mind is that the brace is not so much to support the upper cabinets, per se, but to provide support for the roof and sidewalls of the egg.

However, if you really wanted to have the extra room when you were camping, I suppose you could take it out when you were camping but leave it in when traveling and when the camper was stationary (but you weren't in it).

I would still vote for permanent support, but the latter would still be much better than the situation you have now.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:42 PM   #19

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Arizona
Where you'll most likely start to see the results of not having the support is in the door fitting, aligning and sealing properly. This will usually rear it's ugly head when you put new hinges on the door, but sometimes earlier.
If you become afflicted with this issue there are many posts on here about how difficult-and of course expensive-this is to get corrected.
I would highly recommend replacing the supports, at a minimum with Scamps, as it is very cheap insurance and I would leave them in permanent.
They have not caused any relevant space or usability issues for us over the last two years.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Old 11-21-2008, 07:39 PM   #20

Oregon
All good advice, and the more I read, the more convinced I am about making them permanent. I do appreciate all the help! Thanks! Maybe we can come up with something creative.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:48 PM   #21

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
Personally I like it because I can fasten little rectangular baskets to hold my flatware, pens, etc.
Pete,
Do you have a picture of that?
Old 11-21-2008, 09:00 PM   #22

Quote:
Maybe we can come up with something creative.
I thought these were pretty nifty, and they'd look nice with your earth-toned scheme, too. They show one brace on each end, but a single might perform the same function as the original "wrought" iron.

The photos came from the thread Donna referenced earlier showing various interiors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	post_165_1145772684.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	16886

Click image for larger version

Name:	post_165_1145772704.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	16887

(I wouldn't want to tow the granite countertops around though, myself, although they look neat.)

Old 11-21-2008, 09:07 PM   #23

I know this is a little off-track, but I just have to say that I wish I could see more of the aforementioned trailer. In the mirror above the sink I can see the reflection of what looks like some custom cabinetry that's just inside the door to the right (where part of the gaucho would normally be). Looks like the whole thing has been done up as a "mini-yacht" (the stove is a marine stove), and I would LOVE to see more. If anyone has more photos, maybe we could put them in the "interiors" thread Donna linked to above.

Raya
Old 11-21-2008, 09:12 PM   #24

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
We had nearly every picture possible of the Moguland Boler prior to the hack of November 12, 2005 and lost them all The trailer sold several years back on eBay for somewhere around $8,000 (note to those that want to keep a trailer "original.") and we haven't seen the trailer since. I have a few more pictures, a custom cabinet by the door holding a television and stereo electronics. If I can find them I'll post them in the "Interiors" topic.... just to keep that stuff together. Be patient, I have a lot of pictures on my PC.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:29 PM   #25

Quote:
If I can find them I'll post them in the "Interiors" topic.... just to keep that stuff together. Be patient, I have a lot of pictures on my PC.
Thanks! I'll be patiently looking forward to them

(And sorry to hear about them all being lost - what a bummer.)
Old 11-22-2008, 08:43 AM   #26

Oregon
Very nice, and I too would love to see more pics of that trailer if you can find them. We are trying to figure out how those supports were made, they look custom built. Very good ideas! We still have a long way to go on our renovations, so keep those ideas rolling!!
Thanks Donna & Raya!
Old 11-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #27

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Just uploaded what I have in the Interiors, (Not a How To Thread). Including Kevin's comments (he's the former owner). I have some pics of the outside, including changes to the tail lights and a diamond plate tongue box setup, but they're not suitable for the Interior topic. If/when there's an appropriate place for those, I can place them.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #28

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
Quote:
If/when there's an appropriate place for those, I can place them.
How about putting them all in one thread in the mods updates ... forum?

Tags
scamp