WA How to pay the price? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2012, 08:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
RE: PayPal
Actually I think that PayPal currently suggests using their service for deposits only and discourages/prohibits using their service for total payments, at least for vehicles anyway.

Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #22

Name: george
Trailer: FunFinder
Missouri
Some years ago I accepted American Express travelers checks for a classic motorcycle I was selling. I checked with my bank ahead of time, and they said it would work fine and was safe.
At the time, I was not worried about it, because I was actually holding the bike and title for 2 weeks before the buyer could come to get it.

I wonder if travelers checks would still be a workable solution ??
Old 06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe
Registry
What a great site!! in 24 hours I have 21 responses all of which are either useful or fun.

I am still deciding on selling but when and if I do, it will involve cash down and full payment before title transfer.

Thanks Egg People!!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:00 PM   #24

RE: Travellers Checks?
To quote the G' kids: "Soooo 20th Century"
I wouldn't know how to tell a fake travellers check from a real one, Ben Franklins are risky enough, but never a Travellers check.
Since the advent of ATM's, most businesses in Europe no longer accept them either.

Old 06-13-2012, 09:10 PM   #25

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
I wouldn't know how to tell a fake travellers check from a real one, Ben Franklins are risky enough, but never a Travellers check.
Since the advent of ATM's, most businesses in Europe no longer accept them either.

So - to recap:
No Paypal
No Travellers Checks (Cheques in Canada)
No Cheques (Checks)
No Certified/Cashiers Checks ("Czechs"?)
No Credit Card transactions (unless you are already a credit card-accepting merchant)

Looks a lot like cash is KING!
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #26

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
and remember cash can be fake
Old 06-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #27

PayPal Rule.... but for deposits only

Old 06-13-2012, 10:19 PM   #28

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
and remember cash can be fake
One could request payment in young blondes, but even blondes can be faked (peroxide). Whatchagonnado.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
One could request payment in young blondes, Whatchagonnado.

Oh good. A whole buncha light haired Golden Lab puppies!
Old 06-13-2012, 10:48 PM   #30

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCDave View Post
Oh good. A whole buncha light haired Golden Lab puppies!
LOL if someone tries to sell you a Golden Lab Puppy Dave - RUN - ITS A FAKE! There is no such thing! There are Yellow labs though
Old 06-13-2012, 11:04 PM   #31

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
payment for trailer

I am suggesting that the transaction can be handled by a wire transfer from the purchasers bank to your bank. It is a relatively simple transaction and you just don't hand over signed documents until you verify that the money is in your account. Only hangup is usually the "wire" shuts down around two o'clock so your transaction is best done in the morning. Per my posts on this sight I purchased an 18 foot Trillium in Canada for which the seller wanted cash and I was extremely uncomfortable traveling for two days with $6,500.00 cash. Using a wire transfer allows your purchaser to not be concerned about traveling with cash and you don't have to worry about your receipt of funds. Lee
Old 06-13-2012, 11:21 PM   #32

Name: Mary Ann
Trailer: in the market
Washington
I haven't read all of the above details but I might be interested to look at it. Your's is about the closest I've seen. We have been looking for something about $4,000. Maybe we'd go the 6. We'd have to check weight. We only have a 4 cylinder Toyota.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:03 AM   #33

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
LOL ! yep....that's ME Bob ......"sooo 20th century"
And I will admit I never use travelers checks anymore. Heck I didn't even know whether you can still get them. However I just googled it, and yes indeed we can still get them. And while some businesses might not take them, I would think that the sellers bank would have no problem with them.
It's just that some people are not comfortable carrying a lot of cash, and that's understandable.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #34

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
One could request payment in young blondes, but even blondes can be faked (peroxide). Whatchagonnado.
Mike that seems a little short sighted to me?

Young can be faked too!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #35

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Yes, many of you are 20th Century, or before. Electronic banking has come a long way. Check with your bank...or get a new bank.
I recently bought a nice Chevy from an old lady, paid her with a personal check, and drove her to her own bank to cash it. No phone call was needed. Her bank clerk said with computers linked as they are, when the money was deposited in the lady's account, it was removed from mine. It was instant, and final. I have a Credit Union, I don't know if that made any difference, or if these specific banks had any arrangements. "The times, they are a changin' " Hate mail to the usual address !
David in Fresno and Sonora

_______________________< O >____________________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw photos View Post
LOL ! yep....that's ME Bob ......"sooo 20th century"
And I will admit I never use travelers checks anymore. Heck I didn't even know whether you can still get them. However I just googled it, and yes indeed we can still get them. And while some businesses might not take them, I would think that the sellers bank would have no problem with them.
It's just that some people are not comfortable carrying a lot of cash, and that's understandable.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:23 AM   #36

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Frustration. I logged in I spent 20 minutes writing a response about how to safely do these large transactions, failed to copy it to my computer before I hit submit reply. The site had timed me out and wanted me to log in again. Lost my work. This has happened to me before.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:36 AM   #37

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
Frustration. I logged in I spent 20 minutes writing a response about how to safely do these large transactions, failed to copy it to my computer before I hit submit reply. The site had timed me out and wanted me to log in again. Lost my work. This has happened to me before.
Ha ! ....yep it's happened to my too Bruce ! I need to learn to type faster !
Old 07-03-2012, 01:46 PM   #38

Name: Jill
Trailer: Eggcamper
Minnesota AND Florida
Registry
I just bought my used egge (I live in Minnesota, the egg lives in Florida) and I had my bank wire the money to the sellers account. Worked slick.
Jill
Old 07-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #39

Name: Ray
Trailer: In the market
Texas
Talking

Talk about a long thread... The questions I have are - is the unit for sale, how much and can you post lots of pretty pictures?

Ray
Old 07-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #40

There is no unit.... This was just about ways to pay on a long distance purchase.
FWIW: We just sold out SCAMP. The buyer was 400 miles away. I had them send a $500 deposit via PayPal, had the money in my account in 15 minutes. Pulled 1/2 the cash out at an ATM 1 hour later., the rest the next day. When they arrived three days later we went to a branch of their bank and they drew out the cash. Walked across the parking lot to our bank, swapped the cash for the title and put the cash in our bank. Deal Done.....