Interesting Accessory - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2006, 11:21 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Heated "City Water" Hose
Quote:
[b]RV Heated Hose

Designed specifically for Recreational Vehicle use. Greatly extend your camping seanon into temperatures well below freezing.

Specifications
*Completely assembled potable water hose, heat tape and insulation.
*EasyHeat® Water Pipe Freeze Protection Cable
84W 120V 0.70A with power indicator light and energy saving thermostat.*
Aqua-pex® Polly tubing 130 psi 120°F.
Stands up to freezing better than any other tubing
Non-toxic, free of harmful lead, copper and other minerals
25 year limited warranty.
Old 11-26-2006, 05:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I worked 4 hours round trip from my home for a period of 5 years so I bought a camper and lived in it Monday thru Thursday night all year long in Southern Maryland. It got dreadfully cold so I wrapped my white water hose with a heat tape and then put the foam insulation (The gray round stuff that you put around your basement water pipes) and it worked great for that length of time.

The number 1 thing to make sure that you do not do is to let the heat tape cross over the heat tape because it will melt the tape in that spot. Just spiral it around the water hose, in a long spiral not a very close spiral and then just let the excess dangle out the end.

I also installed heat tapes to the black and gray holding tanks.
Old 11-26-2006, 09:35 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
I worked 4 hours round trip from my home for a period of 5 years so I bought a camper and lived in it Monday thru Thursday night all year long in Southern Maryland. It got dreadfully cold so I wrapped my white water hose with a heat tape and then put the foam insulation (The gray round stuff that you put around your basement water pipes) and it worked great for that length of time.

The number 1 thing to make sure that you do not do is to let the heat tape cross over the heat tape because it will melt the tape in that spot. Just spiral it around the water hose, in a long spiral not a very close spiral and then just let the excess dangle out the end.

I also installed heat tapes to the black and gray holding tanks.

same thing i did cost me less that 35.00 and it has been on the hoses for 2 years now
Old 11-26-2006, 11:18 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Heat tape is a way of life in the Pacific NW.

I live in the mountains now, in So. Cal. It snows. It freezes. When I went to get heat tape at my local hardware and feed store here, they had never heard of such an invention.

I can get it anywhere in Portland. One of these days, I am going to remember to bring some back with me... for the house!
Old 11-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #5

Trailer: 2000 19 ft (formerly 17 ft) Casita Freedom Deluxe ('Nuestra Casita') / 2000 4WD V8 Tundra
Send a message via Yahoo to Kurt & Ann K.
It's been awhile(a number of years), but as I recall, there are different types of heat tape. One type uses a thermostat to control the temp of the tape. The other style increases it's resistance the lower the air temperature. Increased resistance = more heat. No need for a thermostat. The color of the "automatic" no thermostat type was blue. Might be worth investigating and letting everyone know the results.
Kurt & Ann K.