GA Scam Alert...answer from craigslist ad - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #1

Name: Gene
Trailer: WAS: 1999 Casita SD17
Georgia
Scam Alert...answer from craigslist ad

Rita & Ronald (ronald.stanko@gmail.com)

Add to contacts
3/02/14

To: Jean ECS

Hi Jean and Mike, thank you for contacting me regarding my camper. The 2002 Scamp 13' ft. is still for sale. This is a 13' Scamp with the factory "package" options. I am the original owner and bought

From:Rita & Ronald (ronald.stanko@gmail.com)Sent:Sun 3/02/14 6:15 PMTo: Jean ECS

Hi Jean and Mike, thank you for contacting me regarding my camper. The 2002 Scamp 13' ft. is still for sale.
This is a 13' Scamp with the factory "package" options. I am the original owner and bought this new from the factory.
It has a 3-way fridge, stove, furnace, 110 outlets, 12volt outlet, 12 gallon fresh water tank, screen door,
20lb. propane tank, 12v battery, sink, and a Fantastic Fan. I added removable/adjustable shelves in the clothes closet to make it into a pantry for food.
Everything works perfectly. This sleeps 4 with a dinette that converts to a double bed and the couch that converts to bunk beds.
This Scamp is in excellent condition. It has been stored indoors year round since new.
In the winter it is put on jack stands with the wheels off the ground and stored in a heated garage.
It has not been smoked in and I have not cooked in it. It does not leak.
There are some rock chips on the lower front from being towed but nothing major.
In the inside of the silverware drawer there is some paint worn away from the silverware tray sliding around.
It weighs approximately 1100 lbs. with a hitch weight of around 100lbs.
The tires are in good shape and the camper is ready to travel. It has a 6-way rv plug for wiring.
Here are more pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/114614215496017993710/Camper?authkey=Gv1sRgCIv-z6v5xbfMoQE

I was recently promoted so we had to move in Paterson, NJ with my family. Besides, there are a lot of
things which have priority now, so this camper has to go. As you probably noticed, the price
is rather low $2,300 if you buy it today or tomorrow. Due to the fact I am very busy with my
work and I don't stay too much at home, the camper is already to the shipping company here in Paterson and
will be delivered from here very fast, shipping costs are included in asking price. Transaction
will be made under Amazon Payments. This way you can receive assistance for the purchase, title
transfer, etc.

So, please reply back with your full name, shipping address and phone no. if you are really
interested in purchasing this Scamp so we can start the arrangements!

Thanks,
Ron
Old 03-03-2014, 04:23 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I think Ron's real name is Ron BunkoArtist@gmail.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
What's the problem, I only see seven Red Flags:
1. Low Price
2. Already at the shipping company
3. Shipping costs included
4. To busy to show
5. Payment through "Amazon Payments"
6. Weighs 1100 lbs., hitch weight 100 lbs
7. It's still for sale (At that price)

Almost forgot. "Didn't cook in it" in over 12 years of use???

Not to mention the slightly off English.....

Old 03-03-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I have had numerous responses to ads like that over the last few years. Tons of that type stuff going on.

If it is too good to be true, it probably is.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-03-2014, 06:07 PM   #5

Name: Ted
Trailer: (Dark side)Crossroads Now
Glade Valley, North Carolina
When I sold my large 5er, U-Haul 16VT, and Scamp 16; I had these exact problems except the buyers were always working out at sea and wanted to buy and pay through eBay. The problem is they would have sent the money from a fraudulent account. Then they would've filed a complaint with eBay that they didn't get the vehicle and eBay would then refund them their money. Then I would be responsible to repay eBay and by then would've found that the money was from the account that had no funds. However, I would still be responsible to pay eBay back. Therefore, out the money and screwed.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:54 PM   #6

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
What's the problem, I only see seven Red Flags:
1. Low Price
2. Already at the shipping company
3. Shipping costs included
4. To busy to show
5. Payment through "Amazon Payments"
6. Weighs 1100 lbs., hitch weight 100 lbs
7. It's still for sale (At that price)

Almost forgot. "Didn't cook in it" in over 12 years of use???

Not to mention the slightly off English.....
Don't know what's so strange- there are a whole bunch of $2300 2002 Scamps on Craigslist, all over the country, and none of them were cooked in (or had pets!) And all of them weight 1100 lbs. Must be the going price and condition.. Still for sale- well, heck, there are so many of them available...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:02 PM   #7

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
This presumed "scam alert" would be more useful if a link to the original ad was included.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Wonder who's trailer they have stolen the pictures from....
Old 03-04-2014, 12:13 AM   #9

Registry
Looks like this Scam alert from 2011 regarding a Casita is the same guy.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:07 AM   #10

Georgia
Hi Francesca--You're absolutely right, I should have posted the original ad. It was listed on several craigslist around the SE. I went back and flagged them all, and now I cannot find the original to post. Hopefully, they have all been deleted! This is new to me, so, next time, I will be sure to post the original ad, too.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:13 AM   #11

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Sounds like your flagging worked, Jean...good job!

And good luck in your search for a real trailer...
Old 03-04-2014, 11:43 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
A major issue with C/L is that they don't have an easy way to get scam ads pulled. It takes from 3-5 flags before the computer pulls an ad.

A good way to "Test" and ad for scamming is, if it has a phone number, Google that number and see how many ads it shows up in. In one ad for a Toyota Motorhome last year, it's phone number brought back 47 different ads from all over the U.S.

If there isn't a phone number, try to Google a unique phrase. I just Googled:
"This is a 13' Scamp with the factory "package" options".
and still got several hits, including a warning that it was a scam.

Basic Rule #1 If it sounds to good to be true, it usually is.....
Basic Rule #2 If a buyer thinks that they are dealing with a dumb seller (low price etc.) be prepared to lose some money.

Old 03-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #13

Name: Jason
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1300
California
I knew this was a scam when I typed in his comment about silverware drawer damage into google and ads from 2010 showed up. I emailed him anyway, and received the same reply as the OP. Was told it's at a shipping facility in NJ ready to go. Told him I have a cousin there ready to inspect it and will buy it immediately if everything's cool. No reply, which is a pity, as I was hoping to mess with this guy as long as possible.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #14

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
It looks like the description was written by one person (with at least a fair working knowledge of English) then the sales details were cut and pasted onto the current ad. This is another flag that there is a scammer at work!

Froggie
Old 03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #15

Georgia
Bob Miller--Thanks for the great hints on Googling a unique phrase. I would not have thought of that. It was enlightening to me when I Googled the same phrase you did. This will be useful to me in the future, and I thank you for sharing your knowledge!!
FormerShasta--Ha Ha!! I wonder how long it takes them to know they're being messed with!
Froggie--I did notice the difference in syntax, but didn't think about it being cut and pasted.
Thank you all for your replies, I think I'm about to get an education while searching for our trailer!
Jean
Old 03-04-2014, 01:54 PM   #16

Registry
I have reported him to Piscasa Web as well for using there site for illegal use..... hopefully they will take down his photos as well.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:15 PM   #17

Registry
Jean in addition to using Google to check on the phone number googling the email will often work as well... never know what you might find! ;-)
Old 03-04-2014, 02:37 PM   #18

Registry
Too funny, I am in the process of buying a new to me one ton pickup, to replace the one stolen and beat up earlier this year.

I found a really good deal for a top of the line 2010 F-350 King Ranch, fully loaded, listed for sale here in Calgary. When I contacted them by email, I was told it is in Texas, where it was traded in by a Canadian on a bigger truck, thus the desire to sell to a Canadian customer.

The email included a company name, phone number and address, and there is actually a website for this company.

Repeated phone calls got me no answer, and there was no voice message either.

I did get a return email, and they went on about how we should use the Amazon Payments escrow service to protect both parties. I would do nothing but us a reliable escrow service.However, I checked the Amazon Payment site, and it seems that the service is available to US citizens only.

I told the guy selling this, and suggested we both register with escrow.com, a good reliable escrow service, and one eBay recommends to ensure no scams.

Well, I never heard back anything from the guy, and just moments ago I got a phone call (my work phone number is on my emails) from someone (supposedly) at Amazon Payments, the phone number originating in California, saying that he was setting up the arrangements for secure payment. For starters, Amazon Payments requires both parties to set up accounts online, and separately.

Well, I just about fell outta my chair laughing, at the thought they could sell themselves a bona fide service. Seriously, the guy supposedly selling never did get back to me, none of the details worked out, nada.

Of course, they offered to include all the shipping (which is not uncommon for the seller), and taxes (which they can't do for me at all).

Anyhoo, it looks like I am still looking for a new to me truck, and I still have my $26,000 in my pocket.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #19

Registry
Jim did they actually find your truck? Did you get back any of your tools?
Old 03-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #20

Registry
I did get the truck back. They had cut off the aluminum rear canopy door, and removed all my tools, about $14k worth. They had busted out both front door locks, and pried hard on one door, not the sign of a pro. The ignition was broken off, I still need just a screwdriver to start it. They also smashed the rear of the truck into something hard, bending the bumper in a lot, and folding the rear quarter panel. All in all, they estimate almost $10k to fix, but I am just taking the buyout, and either getting it fixed myself, or selling as is. It only has 170,000 km on it, but is a 2002, so I want something that will last me good for a few more working years.

Oh yeah, and when I got it back, it had an old couch, chair and coffee table in the canopy, and an old fake plant and a bunch of other junk in the rear seat. It seems they used it to move, as they burned up a full tank of fuel.