scissor jacks - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-02-2009, 11:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
I have a Casita that I want to install them on. I am wondering if anyone has done this and is there a resource to get them either used or cheaply?

thanks

Alexandra

Old 04-02-2009, 02:32 PM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Junk yard or wrecking yard for motor vehicles, you can get them cheap. Do some measurements from ground to frame so you'll get the correct height. Then get an electric/battery operated drill and socket. When you use that, those scissors jacks go up and down really fast and it's a lot easier on the arm!

Old 04-02-2009, 04:13 PM   #3

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
The standard RV one's you'll find are quite pricey and quite a bit stockier than you need.

Last time I checked, Tractor Supply Company carried a nice light duty jack you could bolt on.

For the Boler we used to have, we had 4 jacks pulled from Ford Festivas - one in each corner - welded onto the frame. It was really nice for leveling out the trailer.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #4

Trailer: 1999 21 ft Bigfoot (2500 series)
Quote:
Junk yard or wrecking yard for motor vehicles, you can get them cheap. Do some measurements from ground to frame so you'll get the correct height. Then get an electric/battery operated drill and socket. When you use that, those scissors jacks go up and down really fast and it's a lot easier on the arm!

oh yeah this was my plan until I heard 100 bucks and then pay for welding..................Will see about finding a local junk yard and see what I can get. thanks for the tip.

Alexandra
Old 04-03-2009, 12:04 AM   #5

Trailer: 1971 Astro (ie. Campster/Hunter I)
Send a message via MSN to Harry Young Send a message via Yahoo to Harry Young
Alexandra,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=96406

Can bolt up with no welding.

Cheers
Harry
Old 04-03-2009, 06:25 AM   #6

Oregon
I was going to weld scissors jacks on my Scamp, but have now gone with a different method. Make certain when the scissor is completely collapsed there is sufficient room to pull in an out of driveways without bottoming out and tearing the jack from the frame. Doing some measurements, I found I wouldn't be able to get in and out of my home driveway without having major problems. And my Scamp sits higher than most. The ones on the front of the frame don't seem to be as much of a problem. I suppose the ones for the back could be left loose and used when unhitched rather than affixed permanently.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:30 PM   #7

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
We use the jack stands from Walmart.
Very solid and not a very big deal to work with. Stack nice for storage.
If it's going to rain just put a piece of 2 X 8 under each one and you're good.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #8

Name: David
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ)
Colorado
I did the same thing as Pete (jack stands) after struggling with scissor jacks for a couple of years on my Bigfoot. Like Donna, I couldn't attach scissor jacks to the rear of the frame without giving up too much clearance. If not attached, scissor jacks are a real pain to extend and retract. The fiberglass is so close to the frame on a Bigfoot, I am also a little nervous to let any yahoo with a welder under there anyway. The jack stands are very solid and easy to use, but they do add to the pile of stuff in the pickup. I am still looking for the ideal attachable stands. Those little flip-out extendable stands on Scamps and Casitas are not all that bad, but the frame on the Bigfoot doesn't line up quite right for them.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:54 AM   #9

Oregon
Quote:
I am still looking for the ideal attachable stands. Those little flip-out extendable stands on Scamps and Casitas are not all that bad, but the frame on the Bigfoot doesn't line up quite right for them.
David, would the BAL stabilizers work for you? They retract almost flat and with an electric drill go up and down quickly. These have a 4,000lb capacity: BAL Stabilizers
Old 04-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #10

Name: Michael
Trailer: Amerigo & Trailmanor (popupish)
Indiana
When we had the jacks welded to the Boler, we didn't have them attached to the rear bumper. We had them weld them to the frame under the trailer. They were set up so just the part of the jack you attached the crank to stuck out where you could really see it. One of the advantages of doing that was that you really didn't lose any ground clearance that way. Ignoring things like deep potholes, logs, speed bumps and the like - there's a fairly clear zone for mounting items under the trailer. Imagine drawing a line from the bottom of the tire to the lowest point at the rear of the bumper. As long as the road is reasonably smooth - nothing is going to intrude into that space because you'll scrape the bumper first. That space is where I had my jacks placed.

In some way the standard little stabilizer jackstands were handier (I don't really tend to adjust them - I lower the front of the trailer, shove them under and then level the trailer at the front. REAL fast). The scissor jacks were a lot more rigid (trailer was solid as a rock with them) and I easily used them to do the leveling of the trailer too - not just stabilizing. Even the jacks made for little tiny cars are rated at something like 2000lbs each so they'll lift the trailer like it's not even there.

mkw