Seeking Egg in Southeast: Well Kept, Used, and "Nontoxic" - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: jen
Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003
Georgia
Seeking Egg in Southeast: Well Kept, Used, and "Nontoxic"

We are actively seeking a molded fiberglass trailer, at least six years old, and can be decades old if well kept, well cared for, without water damage, leaks, or most importantly, any kind of mold. We do not want extensive remodels, renovations or special mods. Older updates that have offgassed new materials are fine, but not at all necessary. We love scamps, burros, uhauls, and also like casitas as well.

NO: mothballs ever used, no pesticide bombs used inside (if any pesticides used please let us know and how long ago), no fabric softener sheets stuffed in drawers to "freshen" the trailer or hide musty smells, and no glade plug-in air fresheners. I have chemical and mold sensitivities and have been in several well kept eggs, one was a 1985, in which I felt fine. We don't care as much about size, showers, or layouts, as something we can take on the road and feel good in, in our camping travels.

Price should be fair, not inflated, but we have cash ready for the right trailer. We're in the southeast so I don't feel like driving across several states, but Georgia, Florida, Alabama, the Carolinas, are all fine. And I suppose if you have the perfect trailer and it's a little further away, let us know, but we're hoping to find one within that geographical area.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #2

Name: Greg
Trailer: 72 Boler American
Indiana
You may just want to bite the bullet and buy a new one.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:55 PM   #3

Georgia
No, Greg, we can't do that. I've been in a new one. The fiberglass offgassing really bothers me.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenbooks View Post
The fiberglass offgassing really bothers me.
I understand.

We went to the big auto show back when we were shopping for a new tow vehicle in 2003. The San Diego Convention Center had all of the cars available to look at. I was interested in the 2003 Chrysler Town-and-Country Minivan and liked the price. Robert and I sat inside one and closed the doors; within a couple of minutes he started itching really bad and having trouble breathing!
We tumbled out of there quick!!!
Once outside the car his symptoms receded and went away in about 15 minutes. I was disappointed, but all of the Chrysler products (we tried several) had the same out-gassing problem. I was determined to buy a new minivan, and we found that the Honda Odyssey did not have the same out-gassing problem, so that's what we went to dealers looking for and found the one that I am still driving today. He didn't remember having any problems buying a new Toyota Corolla in the past... but we had been buying used cars together since without incident.

Beware of that new car smell...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #5

Georgia
Thanks Frederick .

I don't know why Greg suggested I buy a new one, anyway. I've seen used ones that are well kept and perfect--I tried to pry one out of a camper lol...he and his wife loved it, it was a 13 foot 1985 scamp in perfect condition.

I'm sure I'll find my trailer. It was just a bit of a learning curve that a well priced one goes in hours or days. That's why I posted this on here, in case someone is *thinking* of selling, they can contact me first.

As to the mods, there are two reasons I mentioned that.

1) Very recent mods might have chemical offgassing (new carpet, new paint job inside, new caulking etc)
2) Sometimes, in my very limited experience, people do odd mods that they think are super cool and want more $$ for it. The scamp in Florida was overpriced, and part of the reason is they did their own private mods, that really don't increase the value actually (more storage, moved the toilet). And one guy had put leopard fabric all over his interior and lacquered it! LOL. So...I'd rather buy something for its inherent value, and I am willing to pay a reasonable and good price.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:41 AM   #6

Georgia
By the way, I have two friends and one acquaintance who have mold and chemical issues who have done beautifully in used eggs--one has a scamp, one an older uhaul, and one a casita. All were used. I was just speaking with another camper who has a truck camper yesterday, and he agreed they can age really well and not get mold issues, because of the way they are built, as opposed to stick/aluminum etc which is far likelier to face rot and leaks.

Of course any camper can go bad, but someone PM'ed me that I am being snooty and that I'm looking for the perfect camper, which is not the case. He says the old unused campers will have mold, mice etc. I agree, I'm not looking for one that sat in someone's back yard for 30 years never used. Of course any structure will go bad if left unattended. But these small eggs can be great, and I'm hopeful of finding one. If you have one, or have any leads let me know, meanwhile I'm doing craigspal push notifications daily.

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Shame on someone for calling anyone here on FiberglassRV snooty. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being picky. It's your budget, your needs and your budget. My 24 year old trailer has never had a mold problem... it's all about maintenance and any brand of any kind of manufacturing needs to be maintained.

Good luck on finding the perfect trailer for you Jen. It's out there waiting...
Old 03-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #8

Georgia
Thanks Donna, that's great to hear!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:24 AM   #9

Name: chris
Trailer: casita for sale soon
North Carolina
I am still putting together my 1993 Casita to be sold soon. You may have read my post already. I am a trailer hobbyist, and pretty much limit my rebuilds to smaller models. I will more than glad to email pictures of campers I have finished along with the current Casita 16 super deluxe. I will tell you the "mods" that will be added to this unit over stock.

After been painted on the outside only, the "Casita" decals are custom made that incorporates a palm tree that will be placed on the outside.

Upgrade from the small 13"white steel wheels to 14" polished aluminum wheels

All exterior lights upgraded to LED..really cool

New Carefree of Colorado "Campout" awning that has the arms mounted to the camper, not in the ground, but can if wanted.

Palm tree design curtains.

New white colored tire cover, propane tank cover, and AC cover.

This is going to be a really cool unit...oh yah no leapard skin cushions!

You can email me at chrisfox1962@yahoo.com
Old 03-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #10

Georgia
LOL Chris. I saw your post on the forum but you put new carpet in, correct? That is why I hadn't contacted you. That would bother me. Can you take it out? I would only use natural marmoleum or natural carpet if I had to install new (like berber wool). It takes a few years for really new carpet to offgas. I'll email you though.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:58 AM   #11

Georgia
PS Chris--I went and looked at your ad and saw the carpet was a maybe. So if I'm going to look at this, hold off on carpet. And new upholstery covers--I might replace with good organic cotton or some fabric of my own, but that's not at all a dealkiller if you already did it. Do you know the history of the casita? 1990's if WELL KEPT originally with no leaks, mold etc is about ideal for me. I was absolutely crushed last week when I missed a 1998 in Austin, I was ready to drive out for it--never updated, but stored and rarely used in the mountains of New Mexico--but before I could put down a deposit it was snatched up locally the first day :-(. So I emailed you, let's talk about the details of this and the history of the prior owner(s) and so on. Thanks a bunch!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:47 AM   #12

Name: Jim
Trailer: 16' scamp
Florida
'05 16" Scamp for sale

I have a '16 Scamp front bath, side dinette for sale, fully equipted. Located in Stuart Fl. Asking $8500 email me and I will send pic, details.
jim_budd20@hotmail.com
Old 05-30-2012, 11:26 AM   #13

Name: chris
Trailer: casita for sale soon
North Carolina
Casita project complete! Ready to go!

Hey Jen, check out the camper I have been working on that we talked about. Go to EBAY and in the white box under the EBAY logo on the left side of page enter this number 290719148633

I chose ebay to use up a credit from them where they charged be twice for a car i sold for my Dad
Old 05-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #14

Georgia
Hi Chris, we already discussed. Thanks but no interest in a recently renovated camper especially with toxic - to - me new carpet. I'd just be paying for change I would never have made myself. Good luck.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:24 PM   #15

Georgia
Actually, is there a way I can delete this thread? I've learned so much since I posted, and this thread is really outdated.
Old 05-30-2012, 02:27 PM   #16

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
I moved it to the archive.