SOLD: 16' casita, true fixer-upper, for sale in S. MN - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp
Hello!

I have an 16' 1986 casita for sale. It's a massive fixer-upper. I posted before, a few months ago, and got some bites, but due to a crazy adoption process and the winter that wouldn't end, I just let it drop. Now, it's officially FOR SALE as I need to buy plane tickets to Russia pretty soon.

This trailer has been through at least two attempts to renovate it, each one making the thing worse. It's a lot of work, more work than even your fairly competent housewife-with-housebuilding-skills could handle. This is probably the sort of trailer that just needs gutting. To fix it, you need to know how to fix rivets, carpet ceilings, and do electrical and plumbing work. You will also have to track down some probably-obscure parts. I will only sell this to someone who's got the skills; I know it's cheap, and thus tempting, but trust me, it's a whole lotta work, and you will regret it later.

The following is a note I wrote about it a while back:

The interior is a Liberty model.

Let's put it this way: it was road-worthy a year ago. I took it up to Northern Minnesota for a week, and it worked great. In previous years, it has been on other long trips, and performed well, structurally speaking. Due to house renovations and my managing to catch whooping cough, which wiped me out for the whole summer, it never went out again, and is sitting at a friend's farm. (FYI - they make an adult booster for whooping cough. I wish I'd known....) At that time, the heating worked, the plumbing worked, the electric worked, the burners worked. The brakes worked. I have never tried to make the hot water heater work. The outside cover for the hot water heater is missing. The fridge has been removed, and my father-in-law wired in a cooler in its place, which works on 12V or 110. The awning worked, and is so amazingly nice for travel, but the case for it is missing a latch, so it doesn't seal well against the elements. The toilet worked, but felt a tad wobbly. Then again, I have never been in another camper to compare toilets! The vent fan is new and works. The battery was replaced four years ago. The cushions are a lovely dark blue velvety fabric; they must have been recovered at some point. The non-functioning rear-window AC the FIL replaced with a screen and a clever metal awning cover - (if I had my FIL's skills, I wouldn't ever need to sell this trailer!) The door closes and locks fine; it also overhangs oddly, so that there's a gap between the door and the floor, and the carpet at the bottom of the door is stained from the road. The windows all work just fine. I suspect the window in the bathroom leaks, but as there's a drain, I never looked into it. There is a black water tank for the toilet (obviously) but no grey water tank (apparently standard for the time).

When I bought it, the frame was broken behind the axles; we had it properly welded. Some of the rivets leak; this caused the carpeting to separate from the walls. (I have a bag of caps somewhere...) When the carpeting came down, the foam behind just reeked; apparently a previous owner had been a chain smoker, and we are sensitive to that. So I pulled all of it down, and replaced some of it. I was having trouble with the ceiling, and that is not up yet, but is bare fiberglass.

There was also some water damage; some of the floor-level cabinets do not shut securely. The bathroom door was removed and a curtain put in its place. And an extra tire that's been sitting in the basement. And tons of a gelcoat cleaner that works wonders on the outside. I haven't tried the shower for a couple of years. The microwave works fine. The floor and insides of cabinets are pretty grubby, and home to mice.

So, as you can see, it's a fixer-upper. I tried, and I just don't have the skills. If you had the skills, I think it would be a great deal. I've decided that I'd rather take a bit of a loss than to put lots of effort into cleaning/fixing it; it's just TOO MUCH.

Price: $1300 to someone fairly nearby who just takes it away. $1500 if I have to do any work/cleaning/handholding. :-)

Please e-mail me at Laura AT loomis-house DOT com

This is going up on Craigslist as well - I'd like to see it go soon.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2006 13 ft Scamp
Trailer Gone. Thank you!

-Laura

Tags
casita