SOLD - 1984 U-Haul CT 13-Ft - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
$1,600 - FIRM

I never thought it would come to this, but I have no place to put my U-Haul camper. She needs a bit of work, but nothing major. My garage is too small to get it in and the neighbors are starting to give me the "evil eye" for leaving it on the street. I live in Chicago and parking is a MAJOR issue here. I got two estimates to reframe my garage entrance and put in a higher door. I can't afford $2,600 just to put my trailer in there. So sadly, I have to let the U-Haul go and get another pop-up camper that will fit in the garage.

The good:

Frame is in excellent shape. The tires are BRAND NEW Duro radials and I have a 3rd new Duro (unmounted) that goes with the deal. IT TOWS PERFECT!! No rips or tears in the cushions. The swamp cooler and kitchen fan both work. The furnace and stove top are also supposed to work, but I haven't tried either. The solar panel and charger still work because the previous seller was able to run the swamp cooler and kitchen fan without the trailer being hooked up. The floor on a U-Haul is fiberglass, so you'll never have to worry about it rotting like wood does after several years. All the window glass is intact. The front window cover is also there. All the exterior marker lights work. U-Hauls have an inner and outer shell, so it's practically bulletproof and built to last forever. I have a clear title and both the parts manual and repair manual to go along with it. I also have a huge new waterproof tarp that covers the entire trailer, which also goes with it.

The bad:

The seam in the ceiling of the inner shell is seperating a bit and needs to be re-glued. I already constructed a wood frame that will hold the seams snugly together when the new glue is applied, which obviously goes with it. Faucet is missing in the sink. The fridge has a crack on the outer plastic part of the door. The gel coat on the exterior has a couple of very minor cracks. The trailer jack works fine, but the holes on the frame are a bit rounded out. Interior needs a good cleaning. This trailer has been unused for a few years. The original tail lights were unhooked and new ones were installed on the rear bumper, but they work perfectly fine. The square wood pieces that go under the cushions need to be replaced.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

So basically, you'd need a faucett, minor gelcoat repair, a new plastic piece for the fridge (or a new fridge), and maybe spot-weld a couple of steel washers to the frame where the trailer jack swings and connect into. I'm using a jack-stand as a back-up for now and it works fine. The inner seam fix is a 10-minute job, since the frame prop is already there. Cutting the square wood pieces would be easy.

I think this is a really good deal, considering that a few hundred bucks and some elbow grease will have this trailer looking and working just fine. I just can't get it in the garage to do anything with it and I don't want to work on the street. The wife is giving me grief about leaving it on the street, too. I figured I'd post it here before trying Craigslist or Ebay, since there are so many people here that are seriously looking for a fiberglass travel trailer. I've posted everything I know about this trailer so there's no surprises or hidden issues. It's the perfect time to snap this up and make a few easy repairs for a nice, long camping season.

PM me if you're interested.

I have to post the prior owner's pics because I have none of my own right now.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jamm...auloutside2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jamm...auloutside1.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jamm...haulinside4.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jamm...haulinside3.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jamm...haulinside2.jpg

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y208/jamm...haulinside1.jpg
Old 04-27-2007, 05:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Can you take the air out of the tires to get it in your garage? That's how the guy had to do it to get it in to paint mine. 1600.00 is an excellent price. If I didn't have mine, I would buy it. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Can you take the air out of the tires to get it in your garage? That's how the guy had to do it to get it in to paint mine. 1600.00 is an excellent price. If I didn't have mine, I would buy it. Good luck.
Patty, everything you can think of was considered....

Letting the air out of the tires.
Removing the wheels completely and using those mini dolly casters
Removing the swamp cooler shroud and solar panel
Reconstructing the door opening of my garage ($2,600)

I have a 14 inch difference to make up and that's just too much. The wife doesn't want to pay monthly storage fees and I wouldn't be able to do the needed work on it if it's in storage, so I'm forced to let this one go.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:23 AM   #4

SOLD!!!

Deposit taken.

My goodness, that was fast!!
Old 04-27-2007, 09:29 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Glad things worked out for you.Keep visiting us.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Glad things worked out for you.Keep visiting us.
Thanx, Chester... I will!!

As a matter of fact, I recently spied an old Scamp not to far from where I live and it looks like it's been sitting for awhile and needs some work. If I can convince the owner to let it go I'll see what I can do to get it posted here first to get somebody a deal. It's parked in a driveway next to an old house and I'm guessing that the owners are elderly and just left it parked there because it looks like it hasn't been used in some time. It's covered with dirt and grime.

If anything comes of it I'll let you guys know and try to hook up potential buyers with the owner. Buying and re-selling for profit just isn't my thing, I'd rather help someone get a good deal and be happy.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:30 PM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Quote:
Thanx, Chester... I will!!

As a matter of fact, I recently spied an old Scamp not to far from where I live and it looks like it's been sitting for awhile and needs some work. If I can convince the owner to let it go I'll see what I can do to get it posted here first to get somebody a deal. It's parked in a driveway next to an old house and I'm guessing that the owners are elderly and just left it parked there because it looks like it hasn't been used in some time. It's covered with dirt and grime.

If anything comes of it I'll let you guys know and try to hook up potential buyers with the owner. Buying and re-selling for profit just isn't my thing, I'd rather help someone get a good deal and be happy.

Wow! Congratulations on the quick sale. I know it's tough letting it go because of the parking. One of the specific things we had to have in moving to Oak Park was that we had to have garage parking and a parking pad for our 2 antique VWs, two daily drivers, fiberglass trailer, and small wood trailer. We found the house with space for all this vehicular traffic and the neighbors give us funny looks! And to think the house only cost $579,000! (Yes, prices are high in Oak Park. This is not a mansion, but a very nice 3 bedroom house.)

Kevin (proud owner of a UHaul 16' Vacationer!)
Old 04-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #8

Thanx, Kevin.

I plan on making a donation to this site in light of this sale, it's the very least I can do.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1991 16 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
That's too bad, Buck - bummer you couldn't keep the U-Haul.

Yes, keep feeding us leads if you find any. I know there are always people looking for just the right egg, myself included!

Tags
u-haul