SOLD - 1988 13' Scamp Travel Trailer - Craigslist - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2008, 06:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
I found this one a week or so back, and have had several email conversations with the owner. She seems nice, and this is the real deal... but it was a bit out of my price range. I know she still has it, as of yesterday, but I need more time to get a little more $ together if I were to pursue it further. Here is the listing, I think this looks great, but my boyfreind Kirk didn't want to spend so much on a camper. Does this look like it's worth the $ she is asking??

http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/rvs/825162267.html

any advice will be appreciated.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 1960 28 ft Airstream
$5k looks kind of spendy...I don't know if I would call it a real deal, but to each of us, that is where the deal lies. To me...I like CHEAP!!! of course, then you get all the benefits of major repairs. New Scamps start at I think $7995...so I don't see a big jump in price for a brand new scamp vs. a 20 year old one. (from 5k to $7995). We see a fair amount on ebay from $3k - $4k, but then you factor in location as well.

Pam
Old 09-12-2008, 08:14 PM   #3

That is part of the appeal, it is 3 hours away, and she seems to have put some work into it from what I can see. I emailed her, offering a lower price, and she said she paid $4000 for it, then bought new tires, decorated (which we would replace ) added the jacks etc... so I see her point of wanting to get what she put into it. It' is steep though, but $8000+ for a new one is a real stretch right now, we are also trying to save a nest egg to move with. I would prefer mid-cheap (2000-4000), not in disrepair, but maybe a little ugly. I can fix ugly but don't want bad axle or leaky windows....

we are still waiting to see what else pops up.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT / 2004 GMC Safari
April,

I don't know....I have an 85 U-haul 16 foot. It's pretty original, had new tires on when we bought it, completely re-wired, roof top a/c - last year about this time, we paid $5500. I had considered driving all the way to Texas after ordering a Casita, but this one was 10 miles from my home - and in pretty perfect condition. I couldn't justify the extra money for a new fiberglass trailer when this one keeps us warm, cool, dry and comfortable.

I have to agree, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and so is price - but $5000 is pretty steep for a 13 foot Scamp in my opinion...

Just my 2 cents...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #5

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
Oh yeah, I remember posting the cowgirl curtain one.
Between 4-5k wouldn't be far off if the condition is top end.
Really weighs on the condition of the sub-floor, refrigerator and axle.
Those are the really pricey and labor intensive things to replace. If the axle hasn't been replaced it is 20+ years old and that is getting to the end. Seems to be riding a bit on the low side.

There is no propane tank on the tongue which means if it has a fridge it is either AC or AC/DC, which means no dry camping capability with the fridge. A fridge isn't mentioned, so it could be an icebox or nada.

I'd say $4k is about the high end on this one for me.
I got mine for $3k and it was just filthy, but the three-way fridge was there and fully functional. I am replacing the axle, but the sub-floor was solid.
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Old 09-12-2008, 09:16 PM   #6

Well, I am glad I asked, it helps so much to have experienced people to interact with. I did get a phone call from scamp after emailing them about a bare bones camper, I will be returning the call on monday to see what they have to say, who knows, maybe they will work with me?? It's worth a shot! I have some ideas to modify some of the use of space in there, so empty would be good while I have time to work on it.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:14 AM   #7

Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13 ft
That is quite a bit higher than we paid for our 1992. It does have a furnace and A/C but I don't know that I would like a closet A/C. We also bought ours the very first day it was listed for sale. If this one is still for sale almost 2 weeks after being listed, I would think that indicates the price is a little high? These trailers hold their value so well that the used price is close to the new price. If our trailer had not come up for sale in our area at the sweet spot price we paid for it, we were prepared to buy new. As much as I think I would enjoy rehabilitating an older trailer, I just don't have the time or the facilities to do that kind of work. That really limited us in what we could look for in a used. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 09-14-2008, 10:28 AM   #8

Just got an email, this one is SOLD

Tags
scamp