SOLD - '84 Scamp, 13' For Sale in NY - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2007, 12:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 84 Scamp 13 ft
Hello. We are going to be selling our 1984 Scamp 13’ camping trailer before the 2007 camping season. We pretty much totally rebuilt it to better-than-new condition over an eight month period starting early in 2006. We took a 30-day trip with it to the Rockies, Utah and Arizona last fall and it performed wonderfully for us. We pulled it easily with our 2003 Honda Element (4-cyl), putting about 7,000 miles on the rig. We are now moving to Florida and plan on doing some boating rather than camping. It is now in secure winter storage in my brother’s garage here in Upstate, NY. Water has been drained, batteries removed, as well as the cushions.

We are located on the I-88 corridor (Oneonta, NY), halfway between Binghamton & Albany. We plan on listing it on E-Bay when the weather gets better but thought that if anyone reading the Fiberglass Forum is interested, we are ready to sell. We are asking $4,500 for it and plan on staying firm with this price until early summer. We put a lot of time and money into it since we acquired it. We can store it where it is up to 30 days after payment, and I will offer to deliver it for $1.00 per mile here in the Northeast as long as payment fully made before then. I will list some things about it - and here are some photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lynne.jeffrey

1984 Scamp 13’ fiberglass egg.

Sleeps four (4) people –two in back bed and two on bunks in front.

Weight: Is registered in NY at 1000 lb. – Have clear transferable NYS registration, under 1000 lbs. needs no title in NY.

No original brakes and does not need them in my opinion.

All new wiring in entire unit. All taillights, running lights and interior lights work fine.
New 20 lb. propane tank for 2-burner stovetop on front of tongue with custom-made holder.

Two (2) new, marine deep-cycle batteries (installed under dinette bench seat, with outdoor venting on the battery boxes) to power interior lights and also to power 1000 Watt Inverter (turns 12V into 110V power). There are three (3) interior receptacles on the sides of the sink unit, with a total of six (6) plug ins. Three (3) are powered from 110V “shore” power when camping with power at your site, and three (3) that run off the inverter. There is also a 12V cigarette lighter receptacle to run any device such as cell-phone charger, laptop, or any device that currently runs in your car. Interior lighting consists of four (4) 12V lights (controlled independently) and 110V fluorescent light behind oak panel above sink. Batteries charge from car while towing during the day, I have a single wire with a connector running along with the 4-prong flat trailer light hook-up. I ran a separate 10-gauge fused wire from my car battery under the vehicle and it hooks up right beside the other wires. There is a battery-strength LED gauge mounted in side of seat panel beside the battery box. This has 10 small LED lights ranging from green (full charge) to red warning light when your batteries get down to less than 30% charge. These allow a quick visual check of your battery strength while boondocking. All told, a great set-up for either camping with 110V power or running off the batteries – we went for 2 days quite a few times just using lighting, the water pump, and radio.

Electric 110V refrigerator. Small under-counter unit. Works great, plug it into the shore power receptacle when you have power and plug into the inverter outlet when traveling during the day. It will run the fridge at least overnight on the battery power when boondocking. Has a small freezer. It works better than dealing with buying ice, that’s for sure.

Air Conditioning – We removed the spare tire from the rear and mounted the AC back there.The new 5000 BTU unit is located in the vintage cooler mounted where the spare was. I modified the cooler by cutting out the back to hide the AC unit; a magnet holds cooler top open while the AC is running. Brings the little trailer right down to 65 degrees on the hottest of days. The AC will not quite run correctly off the 1000W inverter so, like most campers, the trailer should be plugged into shore power when using the AC.

The cushions (covers and foam) were replaced with new ones last year. All in great shape. Curtains were purchased from Scamp last year.

Has an AM/FM/CD remote-controlled player mounted under the counter over the stove. Great for picking up local radio stations and playing books-on-CDs or music.

Has 10 gallon water tank, all new line to sink and new 12V pump. Push the button at the faucet, it starts the pump and you have good supply of fresh water. The gray water runs to outside and is collected in a container (included).

No bathroom, of course, in these little Scamps. There is an almost-new Thetford Porta-Potty included which stores under the front bunk. Works fine for middle of the night duty. Holds 3-4 gallons for flushing, with a little liquid treatment stuff it never has odor.

Pantry cabinet has custom-built wire shelves for storage of sundries, clothes and linens.

Outside porch light with on/off switch and either clear or amber lens – quick changeover if you want a brighter regular white light for outdoor viewing.

Tires are in great shape, bearings serviced regularly.

Has two (2) built-in rear jacks that you let down when parked which steady the trailer perfectly. Ball size is 1-7/8”, new coupler last summer. Suspension is good, torsion bar in good shape. Spare tire is good on a non-original extra rim. I put the spare into a sturdy cardboard box that I made that fits it perfectly; I just throw it in the car when we are traveling on long trips. Rims on trailer are good with new chrome trim rims to spruce it up a bit.

Exterior of fiberglass is good. Applied some new original Scamp decals. Fiberglass is treated with a marine gel-coat protector that really protects; applied three coats last summer.

Both front and back windows and gaskets were new last year – clear and no leaks. New door gaskets and exterior door handle (with keys).

New ¾” birch table. Oak trim inside to trim it out a bit in different areas – see photos.

We built a Lexan stone guard for the front window using original new Scamp mounting hardware. Better than original because you can see through the trailer in your mirror while towing, a bonus for traffic and backing up. Could protect your front window from damage since the window itself is Plexiglas and will split/crack if hit hard with rock, but the Lexan is much tougher. It’s become a little cloudy from use, but can easily be replaced regularly as desired.

Some extras include:
Scissors-jack stored on front tongue (if you ever have a flat).
Wheel chocks – fold-up and compact.
Portable wind-up, store-flat water hose and extra 110V cord reel.
Outside door mat.
We built a small shower using PVC piping, large plastic basin and shower curtain. Uses 12V pump and water from sink or bucket. All new, we never used it.

I guess that is about all – I am sure we left something out though. The trailer did have a soft spot on floor under dinette table when we first got it from the old rear window leaking. I screwed and glued a marine plywood plate under the floor from underneath, then fiberglassed (mesh & resin) the entire rear floor from the topside. It is now stronger than the original floor ever was. Installed new carpet in entire trailer. Interior is painted a light blue.

I can take more pictures of it if you desire. Payment by Bank Check or Cash – needs to be paid in full at pick-up or paid in full before I deliver it. The $1 per mile delivery charge needs to be paid in advance and MapQuest will be used to determine actual milage from our house to yours. Delivery will need to be scheduled around our good, old Northeast Weather. We want dry roads for safe towing and so as not to mess the trailer up with messy road conditions. Thanks for looking.

Edit: Included sold in topic title, removed phone numbers and e-mail addy. Donna D.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:57 PM   #2

SOLD - Thank you!
Old 03-07-2007, 03:16 PM   #3

Trailer: Love Bug / Chevy Astro

Did the EGG stay in the FGRV family? Who bought it?
Old 03-08-2007, 09:22 AM   #4

A gentleman from Vermont, who saw our post in this forum, but I don't know if he's a forum member or not.

Tags
scamp