wanted..awning - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-09-2008, 06:16 PM   #15

Trailer: 1981 Boler 13 ft / 2005 Dodge Caravan
Registry
Quote:
Thank you so much for all the detailed photos and information. Thanks too for mentioning the attachments that need to be mounted to the body of the trailer. I had been considering a rope and pole awning, but the bag option seemed a bit easier/self contained and no ropes to trip over. I'm not too excited about drilling more holes into the shell of our trailer though. I guess I'll think about it a bit longer. These little trailers come with a lot of decisions. Thanks again!
Hi Noah.....Just noticed your post.If you still have not decieded on the awning I can tell you I had the same misgivings about drilling holes in my Boler.I too ordered an awing from Interwest sports.Loved it when it came but was reluctant to drill the holes.Info.I got on this form suggested I use stanless steel bolts(instead of the screws provided) with stainless steel locking nuts.Bolts just long enough to go through the very thin fiberglass body and ensolite.The holes drilled were very small.I used butal tape under the pole holders.This would stop any water leakage where the bolts went through.However because the holders go directly under the bag the chance of any water seepage would be very slim.Love the awning and wish I haddn't wated so much time before installing
and enjoying it.....Pat.
Attached Thumbnails
Awning_1.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 10-09-2008, 08:13 PM   #16

Name: April
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Oregon
Do the bag awnings stay attached on the outside of the camper all the time, or do you take them down completely before you travel?

Old 10-09-2008, 08:54 PM   #17

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hi April,

I can't tell if your new-to-you Boler has an awning rail or not. Assuming it does the awning bag slides into the rail. Then you drill and insert a screw at each end of the rail and through the top of the awning rail and though the awning bag. This keeps the awning bag securely in place.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:57 PM   #18

Name: Scott
Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Manitoba
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
http://www.busdepot.com/details.jsp?partnumber=A7905

saw these posted here (I think) very slick and cheap and lightweight.
Old 10-10-2008, 07:34 AM   #19

Oregon
I also found this one, it's less expensive, but I don't know how good it is.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/ItemBro...ID:100000272680

We will probably stick to the $263 supreme 9' Shademaker, simply because it looks sturdy. It's hard to want to spend more money on some of these extra items, but the fact remains that we would rather invest a little more money into something we plan to use a lot, and get the better quality than to save a few bucks now, and have to go buy new stuff when the cheaper things fall apart (and we would like to avoid adding to the waste of disposable things). I was under the impression our camper is a Scamp, but there are no markings, so I guess it could be a boler frame?? I thought it looked a lot like a boler, but the people who sold it called it a Scamp. How can I find this out?? The camper has been repainted, so I don't know if there will be a serial # visible. There is not any kind of track on the outside, only a rain guard around the door, so I guess we will have to install a track to have the awning fit?? Is that something we can buy through the awning website??
Old 10-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #20

Morning April,

There should be serial on the trailer somewhere and other members who own scamp's would know where.

The awning that you show there has extender poles and guide lines to support it - the ones from interwest have built in expanding poles and require no guide lines. I actually gave away our awning that had poles/lines as it was such a hassle to set up.

Yes, you can purchase an awning rail - generally they come in 4' sections so you would need 2. You can let the bag awning hang out the ends without issue. When installing the rail make sure you have the distance from the top of the door to the rail so that the bag does not interfer with the door when it's installed.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #21

Oregon
Would this be what we are looking for??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Awning-Rail...0QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-10-2008, 01:36 PM   #22

The picture on the ebay site isn't very clear but here is a picture of the profile of an awning rail.
http://www.vintagetrailersupply.com/Produc...uctCode=VTS-400
Old 10-10-2008, 01:46 PM   #23

Oregon
That person selling the rails on ebay also sells the Shademaker awnings w/rails included, and their price is only $15 higher (because of shipping) than the price on the interwestsports site. It does not mention whether it comes with a rail on the interwestsports site, nor do I see them for sale there. I wonder if it would be best to get it all at once from one place. We are in no hurry to buy at this time, we want to be sure we check out all our options before we get an awning.
Old 10-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #24

I am sure it is from the same place. I can't remember the name on the box when it arrived but interwest sports is just a reseller and the awnings are sent directly from the factory.

I did find the awning rail, it's at the very bottom of this page:
http://www.interwestsports.com/bag%20awnings.html

One thing about buying a 9' awning - if you have seen my previous comments on these awnings I mentioned you could go longer then the awning rail as the awning itself is around 10-12" shorter then the bag. However the awning rails tie back onto the trailer using a couple of plastic grommets to hold them in place and they could be inset on the rail. This wouldn't be an issue on a Trillium because of the square shape but the Boler/Scamps are rounder. Just something to think about it.
Old 10-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #25

Oregon
I was hoping we could get away with a 10ft awning, but I still need to measure the "flat" space on our roof where we plan to mount the awning. I have read that I need to leave space for the bag to hang down so it does not block the door. If they are shorter as you say, we might be able to get away with a 10'. I guess I better go take some measurements...
Old 10-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #26

We have the 8' and I could have got away with a 9'. There is no way I could do a 10' on ours and I doubt you could on your Boler/Scamp - time for Boler/Scamp owners to chime in here =)
Old 10-10-2008, 03:27 PM   #27

Oregon
We have exactly 7ft of flat space on the top edge of our camper. Does that mean the railings will be a foot too long? is it possible to cut them without messing up the groove? If we have 7ft of railing on top, if I understand this correctly, we could order the 9ft, actually have 8ft of awingin, and have about a foot of bag overlap on the ends.

Once again I am glad to have found this website, I would be in way over my head if this was not here!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:47 PM   #28

Hi April,

Above on this page is Pat C's pictures of her awning on her Boler. She bought a 7' awning. It looks like she has a bit of room left on her's. If you have a 7' stretch then yes, you would cut a foot off the 4' rail (it's aluminum so it's easy to cut). With a 7' rail you could get away with an 8' bag awing but that would be it.