wanted: window seal/gasket jalousie windows - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
wanted: window seal/gasket jalousie windows

Anyone have a few extra feet of window seal/gasket left over from a project on their old boler, scamp etc.? I know that I can purchase this on Vintage trailer supply, but if I couldn't use all 26 ft, I'm assuming that others may have some left over too!

I think that my 77 Boler has the Hehr type windows, so would be looking for "Backframe gasket" "Standard glass seal", and other types that would fit these style windows.

Thanks!

Amy
Old 08-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Edited to add: I have semi-sorted out my PM box, so there is space in it now for incoming messages (it seems that my sent and incoming messages were randomly sorted with the new software).

Hi Amy,

I've just ordered the full set of gasketry from Vintage, and was planning to list the extra for sale here when I finished with it. Even with a potential blunder or two, though, I can't imagine not having quite a bit of "backframe gasket" and "standard glass seal" left over.

I was traveling when we switched to the new board software, and now my PM system is way over the message limit and I can't use it to receive or send PMs until I clear it out (I guess this software does not allow as many saved messages?). Right now I don't have the time to go through and sort it out. If you'd like to give an e-mail address, or maybe add an e-mail link to your profile so I could send you one, I'd be happy to talk over transferring some gaskets Otherwise, I'll list my extra for sale here in a few weeks, by which time I should have the PM backlog sorted out.

Wish me luck on the project. I've got backframe gasket, standard glass seal, and slider plastic on the way for the small windows (the glass fasteners, operator, screen, and slider frame piece all look fine); and then header seal, J-seal, and a philips hinge, and operators on the way for the dinette windows (not sure I need the operators, but want to have them on hand just in case). Plus butyl tape for all. I'm going to wait on the vinyl insert (covers the screw heads) until I get mine out and measured, since they are easy to put on after the job is done. Whew!

Raya
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Hi Raya,
Thank you, I hope that your job goes well! I am looking forward to doing this with all the windows (except plexiglass for now), but will wait a bit until I have all the seals around so that I can still continue to camp this summer without having a plastic bag in my window. if you have any tips to share when you are done, i would also appreciate that! Let me know when
you have extra available.
Amy
Old 08-19-2010, 11:36 PM   #4

I'll keep you posted, Amy.

So far I have the two dinette windows out - removal was easy. I decided there was not enough "meat" on one of the edges (the window fastener holes were only partly in fiberglass), so I'm going to fix that before re-installing (will add more fiberglass).

The biggest pain so far has been that the ends of the various channels (where the rubber bits go) on the dinette windows were sort of crimped (pinched together). I imagine this was done at the factory to seal the strips in place. But that sure makes it a pain to get the old gaskets out and the new ones in. One happy note is that all of the seals are the correct ones. I wasn't sure about the "J seal," so I was happy to see it match perfectly. Whew! That said, I do have to order a bit more as I did not realize that there were three strips of it per window and not two. Luckily that is one that can be ordered by the foot.

I'll see if I can make a more thorough report once I can say I have it done.

Raya
Old 08-20-2010, 12:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
I am working on my 1976 Scamp project and will need window repair parts. I am interested in knowing which seals "are the right ones" and how to order.
Bil r
Old 08-21-2010, 06:21 AM   #6

Hi Bil,

I don't have time at the moment to go back through and post the part numbers (and, indeed, I can't see your windows to ascertain whether they are the same as mine). But, I have posted the part numbers and sources in a couple of other threads, which should come up in a search (dinette, window, jalousie, hehr, seal, part).

Tags
jalousie windows, windows