wtb uhaul wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Marketplace > Classified Archives
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-14-2009, 09:37 AM   #1

Trailer: Home Built Teardrop and U-Haul and Scamp
I'm the proud owner of a 1984 13' uhaul and need a spare tire,any help or info on what might fit will be appreciated, I know it has an odd offset. Thanks Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Must be new to you! We've had a couple of members looking for Uhaul wheels. They've had a dickins of a time finding some outside source. It appears the easiest method is to get it directly from Uhaul. See this topic for more information, including part number:
I Need a Stock Rim for a U-Haul 13' Camper, Anybody got one?

You might consider posting on the UhaulCamper forum too.
Old 02-14-2009, 10:59 AM   #3

Thanks Donna,what a great site!! I've been looking for a small camper for awhile and actually found one on this site 2 hours from home,It's a beauty and in great shape for 84.Thanks Again Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 11:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Bill:

A couple of things to know about getting a new tire from UHaul. The new ones are slightly different from the old versions, so if you plan to use wheel covers (We have an original set that went on the UHauls.), you need to find a used rim. We bought new ones, so our wheel covers are going to be repurposed.
The other thing you need to know is that not all UHaul dealerships will help you out. Ours was fine with helping us out. The dealership has to order the tire and then sell it to you. Some will not do it. In fact, one member of uhaulcamper.com was told by his UHaul dealer that all UHaul trailers were stolen, because UHaul would never sell their inventory to private citizens (Don't panic and assume that this is the case, as another member over there has the original sales slip from UHaul for his trailer. UHaul sold them off when they became a money losing situation.) So you will need to find a willing dealer.

Hope you enjoy your UHaul as much as we do ours. We are uncovering it in a few weeks for a trip to South Dakota.

CindyL
Old 02-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #5

I just contacted uhaul fleet sales but they weren't able to order parts, so I got an email in to there parts division,if all else fails I'll try a custom wheelmaker i found while rebuilding an old landcruiser because they also have an odd offset,I just used 2 1/2"wheel spacers on the landcruiser,I don't know if there are spacers available for a camper or not, but I'll keep ya posted. Bill
Old 02-14-2009, 04:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
OK, what do you need the rim for? The hubby says that we might have one but he feels that it ought not be used except as a spare. Send me a PM if interested.

CindyL
Old 02-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #7

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I will go out and check in the garage today to make sure we saved the original rim. When we'd had the VT for about 3 months, I blew a tire coming home from a camping trip. I pulled off right away, but the tire shredded and the rim made some contact with the ground for a few feet before stopping. It got pretty hot but looked OK after I removed the old tire pieces. I then ordered two new rims through our local UHaul dealer, used one old rim for our spare and put the last one in a box in the garage (for an emergency, I guess). If it's still there (I've cleaned the garage a couple times since then), you can have it for the cost of shipping it. Like I said, it looked fine, but I've never put another tire on it yet.

I'll let you know later today if I can find it!

Kevin (hubby of CindyL)
Old 02-16-2009, 11:03 AM   #8

Trailer: U-Haul 16 ft Vacationer
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
I have the spare rim! I'm attaching a picture below so you can see the condition. I can't find any damage to the rim, so it looks like it would work fine for a spare tire. If you would cover the cost of shipping it, you can have it for free. It appears to weigh about 18 lbs. in the packing box. Let me know what you would like to do. It would be shipped from Oak Park, IL 60302.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rim_front.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	350.9 KB
ID:	17942

Tags
u-haul, uhaul