Fridge enthusiasts.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 77 Scamp
Ohhhh who oh who will help me????....my fridge does not work on 12 v and Bill just posted that perhaps the 12 v fuse behind the fridge is blown....I can't find it but perhaps one of you with your superiour fridge knowledge can be of assitance...I would be very grateful!!! really!!!! spot 8 salamander section........PLEASE
Flygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Ohhhh who oh who will help me????....my fridge does not work on 12 v and Bill just posted that perhaps the 12 v fuse behind the fridge is blown....I can't find it but perhaps one of you with your superiour fridge knowledge can be of assitance...I would be very grateful!!! really!!!! spot 8 salamander section........PLEASE
Get your multimeter out, and check and see if you have 12 volts where the wiring is connected to the stack heater (12 volt element attached to the coils), then if you do, set the meter to continuity and see if there is continuity in the 12 element. If no continuity, your stack heater (element) is burnt out/ blown. Very common..... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:28 PM   #3

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
my fridge does not work on 12 v
First, are you sure it doesn't work? 12V mode is pretty weak to begin with, so you can't always judge by the inside temperature .

But 12V is often the first thing to go with those things. Many would say: 'good riddance' and suggest using an inverter on 120V mode which may actually be more efficient if your tow vehicle can handle the power draw. I'm thinking of trying it out myself even if my 12V isn't really dead yet.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:56 PM   #4

I am fairly certain you are speaking english......but my knowledge of 12v is well ....nothing......so I'll save this project for you if you'd like at Taidnapam...I'm in no hurry...I just like to fix things just so that I know I could use it ..if I wanted to......

Quote:
Get your multimeter out, and check and see if you have 12 volts where the wiring is connected to the stack heater (12 volt element attached to the coils), then if you do, set the meter to continuity and see if there is continuity in the 12 element. If no continuity, your stack heater (element) is burnt out/ blown. Very common..... Larry
Old 05-06-2009, 09:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
I am fairly certain you are speaking english......but my knowledge of 12v is well ....nothing......so I'll save this project for you if you'd like at Taidnapam...I'm in no hurry...I just like to fix things just so that I know I could use it ..if I wanted to......
OK--- I'll bring my tools....... I won't bring the welder, tho.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:13 PM   #6

awww Larry I might even bring your pen back if you do, its around here somewhere...........THANK YOU!!

Quote:
OK--- I'll bring my tools....... I won't bring the welder, tho.... Larry
Old 05-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Trillium 5500
Quote:
How long is your journey Brandy? Our fridge in the old trailer had the 12V shot, but we found that chilling down the fridge on 120V for at least 1 day prior to journey, it would hold over until we got to most of our more immediate destinations (3-4 hours). As long as it was plugging in shortly after arrival, stuff stayed cold enough to keep. Sometimes we'd pack meat in frozen state in the fridge as extra insurance for a longer camping trip

Janice (12 salamander)
Janice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #8

Oh mine stays cold but I'm just always looking to improve what can or cannot be fixed....gosh forbid I leave well enough alone........
Ssssaaalamander 8.........hop skip and a jump away from ya

Quote:
How long is your journey Brandy? Our fridge in the old trailer had the 12V shot, but we found that chilling down the fridge on 120V for at least 1 day prior to journey, it would hold over until we got to most of our more immediate destinations (3-4 hours). As long as it was plugging in shortly after arrival, stuff stayed cold enough to keep. Sometimes we'd pack meat in frozen state in the fridge as extra insurance for a longer camping trip

Janice (12 salamander)
Old 05-07-2009, 07:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Oh mine stays cold but I'm just always looking to improve what can or cannot be fixed....gosh forbid I leave well enough alone........
Ssssaaalamander 8.........hop skip and a jump away from ya
Hummm... Brandy I am very concerned about your fridge situation. I sure hope one of the boys steps up and gives it a fix. Hate to think to jello shooters might be in trouble for this meet??????

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:35 PM   #10

ekkkk I knew I forgot to pack something BRB.......the cups for the jello duhh....

Quote:
Hummm... Brandy I am very concerned about your fridge situation. I sure hope one of the boys steps up and gives it a fix. Hate to think to jello shooters might be in trouble for this meet??????
Old 05-11-2009, 08:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Brandy,

Everything you'd ever want to know about the "12 Volt Side of Life". Maybe this will shed some light on your frig problem...

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.ccis.com/home/mnemeth/12volt/12volta.htm

Have fun...
Ron
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2009 ft. langley, fridge, rally