AAA verses Good Sam - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-29-2015, 07:50 PM   #15
Name: Tom
Trailer: 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
By the way, belongs to the same company that owns Good Sam. And, Camping World.

1980 Bigfoot 17' & 1973 Compact Jr
Tom Trostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:00 PM   #16
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16
If you join GS, expect to get lots of junk mail.

Join me camping!
Sheryl M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:06 PM   #17
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Somewhere in the Lower 48
Originally Posted by Sheryl M View Post
If you join GS, expect to get lots of junk mail.

Unless you tell them not to send you any promotional emails. I did, and I haven't received any junk mail ever since.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:18 PM   #18
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Good link from Ken. I'm a member of that other forum also, and it is filled with complaints about Good Sam Roadside Assistance. Everything from slow response to wrong response to no response, for people who tried to call for help.
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... --Ecclesiastes 3
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:16 AM   #19
Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
AAA premium plus RV seems to work OK for us. I haven't had to use it when towing, I've used it a number of times when NOT towing. At least my plan will tow where ever I want and the first 100 miles is on them. I had a vehicle towed a 110 miles once, cost me $30.00
I believer both GS and AAA use independent towing companies. Courtesy and professionalism is a product of the independent towing companies. I don't know about GS but towing companies have to approved by AAA.
Byron & Anne enjoying the everyday Saturday thing.
Byron Kinnaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 04:58 AM   #20
Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Originally Posted by Almost There View Post
.I started with CAA years ago but then found that while travelling in the US they left me to my own devices to find a towing service - they would reimburse me but I had to locate service then submit the bill. This didn't sit well with me, particularly one dark and stormy night in the middle of nowhere when a state trooper had to come to my rescue to locate a towing service for me.

I understand that AAA does the same thing if you're from the US and travelling in Canada.
SInce we purchased our trailer we've had AAA coverage. Before we went to Labrador I called AAA and asked if we were covered. Yes was the response. I told them I'd call the next day. Check up the chain of command. The response back was a strong yes.

Two years ago in Newfoundland we needed AAA service. They (CAA) were there in less than 10 minutes and got us going. CAA and AAA are tied together to provide service. Ours is a real world experience.

I also suspect if I call AAA that they will tell me service is included in PA.
Norm and Ginny

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 06:15 AM   #21
Name: jim
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape19 Prairie Schooner pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Maybe I need an alias address to get AAA coverage here in Pennsylvania, but otherwise I'm SOL and have to use GS as a resident here. Only motorized units can get coverage for residents. Gives me a sour taste in my mouth.
Never in doubt, often wrong
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:03 AM   #22
Trailer: 16 Scamp, 17 Casita, 21Bigfoot now
Thanks for all the responses. Really helps. I think we will just stay with AAA and I will look into adding the rv option. What bothers me most is that if I breakdown in car in town , close to home, GS will tow to where THEY want, not where I want. Now just compare cost of adding trailer to AAA vs. what would ever happen to trailer on road that they would fix. I wouldn't think too much - tires, axles, hitch, wheels is about all I think.
Thanks again!!
Chris Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #23
Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
The problem is if your car breaks down while towing and needs to be towed to a repair shop.
Without the RV endorsement you may have to leave your trailer on the side of the road, or pay big bucks to get it moved as well. That's' really what the RV endorsement is all about for trailer peeps.
Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 12:03 PM   #24
Name: Van
Trailer: currently shopping
I have had a lot of good experiences from AAA from towing to new battery in the middle of the night. All in my state. It has essentially paid for itself for many years. I have not used it or needed while pulling an RV however, but have that on my card.
vanjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #25
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
The reply from AAA:
Dear Mr. Maring,

Thank you for contacting AAA. Your AAA PLUS membership is valid in all 50 states and all the provinces in Canada.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please contact our Member Services Department at 1-800-374-9806. We appreciate the opportunity to serve you.

AAA eCustomer Service
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:17 PM   #26
Name: Walter
Trailer: 2002 BigFoot 17'
SW Virginia
A nice little perk with GS is the benefits at Pilot/Flying J truck stops. A GS card works as a Rewards card there and give a gas discount and periodically a free cup of very good coffee.

WaltP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 02:55 PM   #27
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
And my Pentagon VISA gives me back 5% at the pump which is more than flying J GS card does.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 05:31 PM   #28
Name: Karen & Don
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13Ft
Basic AAA in Maine at least allows up to 4 calls annually (sounds like plenty but with two vehicles getting towed out of a snowdrift and a couple of jump starts on minus 20 degree weather mornings eats that right up.) Also the tow limit is 5 miles which won't even get me from my house to my mechanic. I could pay more for more service (AAAs suggestion)but for what I paid for the basic AAA, I get unlimited towing and calls from Good Sam. I've been told that I will be sorry and that when it expires they will really jack up the rates but I signed up for a five year plan (I believe) so it gives me plenty of time to not worry about it.

Kardon is online now   Reply With Quote