Abandoned old car projects - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-13-2015, 06:10 PM   #15

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1971 Boler 13' / 2013 Ford Escape
Manitoba
Registry
Bob do your have a complete Early Ford Bronco Body on a shipping skid? Did I read that right? I LOVE early Bronco's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Steve, you probably are better off with your Bronco if it's a California original with minimal rust issues. I bought mine new in 1969 but being in the Northeast it was really rusty by '77. I was able to get a new body tub, complete with doors, tailgate, and windshield frame, right off the Ford assembly line. It is still on the shipping skid in my barn. The Bantam trailer I have is the post WW2 civilian version that has an opening tail gate. My grandfather bought it new. It has wood top bows and a canvas top, and near as I can tell the original tires. One of my Fairlanes is in the movie "Taking Woodstock" and I'm in a restaurant scene as an extra in the background. And for a brother, I have one in Texas that had a building packed with cars & parts. Don't know what he has now.

Old 02-13-2015, 06:32 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Mooyman View Post
Bob do your have a complete Early Ford Bronco Body on a shipping skid? Did I read that right? I LOVE early Bronco's.
Mostly complete, it's the welded assembly, body tub, inner front fender panels and radiator support, doors, tailgate, windshield frame.No front fenders, hood, or grille. A friend that has a body shop got the local Ford dealer to order it. It's a '77 body, last year made, only year that had gas tank doors. All previous years had external gas caps. It was delivered on a skid made of 2 X 6's and wood blocks and enclosed in an open crate of 1 X6 boards. For some reason they wanted the crate back?? It had a tag on it that said "Do not trim, send to shipping" I got the idea from working on big trucks where we had replaced cabs or frames or built a truck from a glider kit. But this got shoved in the barn and I never got to it. I usually don't allow anyone in my barn to see what I have so not a lot of local people know about it, or believe I actually have it. It's like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster, does it really exist. Don't have any pics on this computer, and won't be home for another month. I'll bet it's the only one in existence that's an original unused body. Reproductions are being made, but this is an original Ford factory piece

Old 02-13-2015, 09:34 PM   #17

Manitoba
Registry
Awesome I hope the metal is coated and not rusting away sitting there in your barn. Do you any plans to build the truck? Even old rusty ones are demanding big bucks. I LOVE those truck. Always wanted one but none are in my price range and seem to be harder to find now. Often wished I would have bought one when I first started working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Mostly complete, it's the welded assembly, body tub, inner front fender panels and radiator support, doors, tailgate, windshield frame.No front fenders, hood, or grille. A friend that has a body shop got the local Ford dealer to order it. It's a '77 body, last year made, only year that had gas tank doors. All previous years had external gas caps. It was delivered on a skid made of 2 X 6's and wood blocks and enclosed in an open crate of 1 X6 boards. For some reason they wanted the crate back?? It had a tag on it that said "Do not trim, send to shipping" I got the idea from working on big trucks where we had replaced cabs or frames or built a truck from a glider kit. But this got shoved in the barn and I never got to it. I usually don't allow anyone in my barn to see what I have so not a lot of local people know about it, or believe I actually have it. It's like Sasquatch or the Loch Ness Monster, does it really exist. Don't have any pics on this computer, and won't be home for another month. I'll bet it's the only one in existence that's an original unused body. Reproductions are being made, but this is an original Ford factory piece
Old 02-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #18

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
I love old iron. Sigh. So too few places now to get bodies fixed. Shops want to pull and replace. Pulling and leading is a dying breed.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:32 AM   #19

Name: Tom
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
my ride

restored my 65 comet , still restoring my 79 trillium
Attached Thumbnails
20140805_075950.jpg  
Old 02-14-2015, 06:53 AM   #20

Manitoba
Registry
Awesome setup. No upper door flex when towing? A friend of mine had a 67 Cougar convertible when we were late teens and it would flex at the upper door gap when driving over bumps with the top down. It was about 10 years old back then and considered an old car, but we had fun in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caderider1 View Post
restored my 65 comet , still restoring my 79 trillium
Old 02-14-2015, 10:15 AM   #21

Name: Tom
Trailer: 13' Trillium
British Columbia
so far so good . I have only had it out once for a 500 mile trip . it towed very well.
hoping to get it painted to match the car some time soon.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #22
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Opel GT

Was flipping trough some old pics and ran across this car I forgot about.

I bought this yellow 1970 Opel GT from a buddy with the thought of cutting it down the middle and widening it 10". The idea was to make it look like a Ford GT40.

Just before I actually made the "cut" I changed my mind. My sister decided to buy the car but wanted it in white so I painted it for her and off she went. Two month later the carb backfired in a shopping mall parking lot and the car caught on fire and burned up. Sis was OK.
Attached Thumbnails
Opel GT 6565.jpg  
Old 04-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #23

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2007 Escape 5.0
Manitoba
Nice Wayne! I notice the plate beginning with a C. One of the first ON permanent plates to be issued. I remember you could tell where the car was plated as the letters only going up to about E at first were assigned geographically in the province.

Adrian

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV