Any Corn toss game players?? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #21

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
The game referenced by Nick Smoak is perfectly legitimate and well-known. Surely we don't contemplate removing every word from our language which may have multiple connotations, one of which may be objectionable, vulgar, sexually perverse. Or maybe we do.

If Mr. Smoak's intention was to give offense to the tender sensibilities gathered here, I missed it. Too bad the better angels of civility and reason saw fit to absent themselves today. For shame!

Jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Reviewing the posts, it appears that nobody wants to play.
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:18 AM   #23

Name: Lora
Trailer: 89 Bigfoot 17G & 73 Compact II
Northern Neck, VA
Registry
Corn toss players

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Snoozy View Post
I am curious if any of the memebers here are Corn toss players?
About 2 years ago, we were visiting family in NC and they were talking about our nephew making some money by building specialty corn toss boards. I was really clueless and couldn't figure out what it was all about
In the interim, I have seen them arrive in VA and it looks like fun. But, the boards look pretty big and hefty. It seems to be very similar to horseshoes but no poles and no sand, and anyone can make replacement corn bags (replacing horseshoes is a little more challenging)!
It will be interesting to see how heavy yours end up being. Are you planning some kind of seam or hinge in them to make them more portable?
Can't wait to see your build.
Lora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #24

Name: Jack
Trailer: '98 BURRO 17WB
Delaware
+1 what Lora says, Nick. When the dust settles, most of us are going to be interested in the tooling and product of your fabrication demo. Name of the game here.

jack
rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:55 AM   #25

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Reviewing the posts, it appears that nobody wants to play.
It's quite fun, I just decided to stay out of it after reading comments. To be honest, I'm rethinking the fiberglass camper meets. I'm getting the feeling it's not my crowd. If *you know what* causes this much grief, I don't think I would get a good reception.

As for the name, the bags are filled with corn, because as it breaks down, the dust helps them slide on the board, not for any other ridiculous reason.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 07:14 AM   #26

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I've played this game, and to my surprise it was a lot of fun. There is a strategy to tossing the bags not only to score directly, but to knock the opponent's bags out of the score zone.

Beats staring into an iPod.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #27

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
It's quite fun, I just decided to stay out of it after reading comments. To be honest, I'm rethinking the fiberglass camper meets. I'm getting the feeling it's not my crowd. If *you know what* causes this much grief, I don't think I would get a good reception.

As for the name, the bags are filled with corn, because as it breaks down, the dust helps them slide on the board, not for any other ridiculous reason.

Jared, I am SO SORRY for the poor manners of others. This is the exception, not the rule, and I am rather embarrassed by the lack of courtesy in this thread (fyi, certain unneeded posts/ comments have been removed from this thread by moderators).
Please, if you are in Michigan in the fall, come to the Agonac gathering (the Algonac Glassic). We will ROCK the corn toss game for you!! ( I also make a mean batch of rummy gummi bears.) You can watch the big ore freightors travel up the river so close that you can almost touch them. And if you stay another week, you can travel east to Niagra Wine Country (Ontario, Canada) to another ultra-fun rally.

And Nicholas, please keep us apprised of that game. I think that fabricating it from fiberglass would be pretty fabulous.
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #28

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
To be honest, I'm rethinking the fiberglass camper meets. I'm getting the feeling it's not my crowd. If *you know what* causes this much grief, I don't think I would get a good reception.
Just remember Jared, a lot of people can hide behind screen names and are totally faceless on a forum. That doesn't usually happen at gatherings when they've got to look you in the eye while speaking. In the past ten years of attending bunches of gatherings and literally meeting hundreds of people, I can only remember two instances that made folks uncomfortable. But, we knew these people from the forums and they were the same in person! It was actually laughable.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #29

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Just remember Jared, a lot of people can hide behind screen names and are totally faceless on a forum. That doesn't usually happen at gatherings when they've got to look you in the eye while speaking. In the past ten years of attending bunches of gatherings and literally meeting hundreds of people, I can only remember two instances that made folks uncomfortable. But, we knew these people from the forums and they were the same in person! It was actually laughable.
I sure wish we lived closer together, Donna, I'd love to meet you in person I'll have to make a west-coast gathering one of my retirement trips !
Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 AM   #30

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
I think making the board out of fiberglass would be a great idea, Nicholas. It would be a lot lighter, and stand up better to the elements, than those made from painted plywood. You could likely market it after working out a good mould for it. As I am not set up for the same processes you are, I wonder about using a board made out of thin (1/8 or 1/4") Baltic Birch ply, and laminating it with glass. It would be a bit more time consuming than simply molding one, but as a one off item, it would save lots of time on the mould making process.

Take lots of photos along the way, I am eager to see your process and how it works.

I used to play this game quite a bit over the years, along with horseshoes, but in the past 15 years or so, we have mostly played all-terrain bocce, or Snake Toss, as they break down better for transport while RVing. The lighter Corn Toss board might make that more appealing once again.

In my books, any game you can play one-handed, while holding your favourite beverage in your other had, is tops in my books.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #31

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
Just think, you can have a game that matches your trailer, now that is glamping.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:39 AM   #32

Name: Cyndi
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 5th Wheel/2019 Toyota Tundra
Iowa
Registry
So that is what that game is called. Yeah, drinking helps.
Cyndi B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 09:42 AM   #33

Registry
"All-Terrain Bocce" has been played in my backyard (actually in 3 backyards at once). The ball that we aimed for was actually a softball so that it could be spotted in the grass after you lobbed it over to the other yard, and the bocce balls had to have quite a bit of 'ooomph' put into the roll to get across all the grass hummocks.

Love the idea of a lightweight, transportable game. The plywood ones are pretty big and awkward to pack.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #34

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam Garlow View Post
I sure wish we lived closer together, Donna, I'd love to meet you in person I'll have to make a west-coast gathering one of my retirement trips !
and make that sooner than later Pam!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #35

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
I for one would like to see some different fiberglass techniques. Looking forward to the video.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #36

Name: Nicholas
Trailer: LiL Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Sort of like outdoor darts!!
Exactly... just less dangerous with the aforementioned distilled corn!!
LiL Snoozy is offline   Reply With Quote