Blacksmithing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft (B17STD)
I'm not sure if I can call it a hobby, as this is my life, but I forge metal. The picture is of a pea pod a friend and I forged a few years ago, it is about 39" high; the pod is forged from 6" angle iron. The great thing about my job, is that I never go to work, well at least while I'm making stuff.

Attached Thumbnails
Pulse_11_for_artisan.jpg  
Daryl R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wow, Daryl, that's really neat!

How great to have a job that's not "a job" for you

I wouldn't mind seeing more of your work, if you care to post it.

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:05 AM   #3

Thanks for the kind words, I'm hoping I can retire when I'm 85. following are made of copper the bases are wood except for the one with the fish which is steel base made by a frind, a collaboration piece. I think you are in to boats and it is called Tosed on Stormy Seas.
Attached Thumbnails
13_On_the_Nile_email.jpg   05_copper_dimple_smooth_email.jpg  

Natural_Dimensions.jpg   09_Tossed_Upon_Stormy_Seas_email.jpg  

Old 04-22-2010, 12:06 AM   #4

I haven't figured out spell check and editing
Old 04-22-2010, 01:03 AM   #5

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Wow.... I'm speechless. That is *amazing* work.

When I think of "blacksmithing," I think of horseshoes and anvils and, well, black, roughish working stuff. The blacksmith in the small town I spent summers near, growing up, had a real warren -- kind of a junkyard, metals yard, blacksmith shop combination. There were "paths" through the stuff to get around. Of course he knew where any one item was and could pluck it right out, and he could fix anything

But your work is just astoundingly fine and artistic. And it must be much nicer in real life. I can't imagine how that comes from blacksmithing, but I'm sure glad it does!

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft
Beautiful work, Daryl! Thanks for sharing!
Diane G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Thanks for sharing
That's quite an art form.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #8

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Beautiful work. You are indeed talented. Thank you for sharing. Do you have a web site?
Bill&Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 07:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 1975 Trillium 13 ft (Fluffer-Nugget)
Registry
You are a true master, beautiful work!
Thanks for sharing your talent.
Emily R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 10:32 PM   #10

Thanks for the kind comments, Iguess blacksmithing is mainly working iron/steel so maybe what I do is forging, hammering things into shape. I like to work steel, copper and bronze. Sometimes I add wood and other materials.

Raya, I'm afraid my shop might much like the one you remember from your childhood, messing and disorganized, most of the equipment is a hundred years old, much of it I bought from myhometown blacksmith shop which closed in the mid 70's. The local scrap yard has me in speed dial. I often meet friends there at lunch time, this is the time of day that the yard is open and the machinery is not working.

A side note the UHaul which was bought by my friend also a blacksmith made its first trip last week end. It went of a blacksmith event. There are some great blacksmiths in your area, I'd love to get to some of their events.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #11

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Hi Daryl,
You need to get in touch with Ian eddy from Vermont, who is also a blacksmith and who has a lovely Escape 19. We met him at a gathering in B.C. when he was out to pick up his trailer and hope to drop in on he and Jenny this fall when we are on the east coast. He's at www.ianeddyblacksmith.com.
Think you guys would have a real connection.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:30 AM   #12

Trailer: Casita
Back on the 19th, I started a thread over on casitaclub.com, in their hobbie section, about Blacksmithing. Below, is what I posted in that first one. You might be interested in looking at that one too.

I am really looking forward to the Illinois Event, and wish I could also do the Memphis ABANA event, but I just can't make it this year. If any of you are near, and really want to get a flavor of what's going on in this wonderful Art & Craft, stop in to an event near you.

I would "AMEN" to visiting Ian and Jenny Eddy. We met them when they came through Colorado last year and I saw, and even have a sample, of his work. I hope to get out to their shop someday too.

Regards,

Keith
I thought I would post some things for those who might be interested in Blacksmithing. And, no, it doesn't just mean "Horseshoeing" . That was just one very small part of what some Blacksmiths did. In fact, they were, and are, called Farriers. Blacksmithing was a major part of most every aspect of life since people began using iron.

Today, many states have very active organizations that promote and maintain the Art of Blacksmithing. There is even a national group called ARTISTS BLACKSMITHS ASSOCIATION OF NORTH AMERICA (ABANA).
http://www.abana.org/
ABANA's semi-annual conference is in Memphis, Tennessee on June 2-5 this year, but I can't make it.

Colorado has a group called Rocky Mountain Smiths (RMS)
http://www.rockymountainsmiths.org/
RMS' annual event is in August this year up in Carbondale, Colorado, just south of Glenwood Springs and near Aspen.

Illinois has a group called ILLINOIS VALLEY BLACKSMITH'S ASSOCIATION (IVBA)
http://www.illinoisblacksmith.org/
IVBA has their 29th annual event this year in Pontiac, Illinois on June 11-13 this year (I'll be at that)

Indiana has a group but I don't have the info right now so I'll get it or let someone else post it.

Let's hear from some others about their state.

Anyway, there's a bit for all of you that might be interested. How about you, Ian & Jenny, are you here? (Vermont Folks)

Regards,

Keith (ANVILMANCO)
Keith Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:01 PM   #13

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr

Name:   090903_boeing_737_model.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  34.1 KB

Although I retired in 2009; I did form quite a bit of metal in 36 years
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Attachment 28362

Although I retired in 2009; I did form quite a bit of metal in 36 years
Works for me.

EKW
Old 05-29-2010, 10:56 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

When I attended MIT, that is Milwaukee Institute of Technology, as part of my machinist apprenticeship, I was friends with a fellow that was taking blacksmithing. He worked for The Milwaukee Road.

BTW, interesting work. I am sure it is much different from the work my friend did at the RR.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #16

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Quote:
I'm not sure if I can call it a hobby, as this is my life, but I forge metal. The picture is of a pea pod a friend and I forged a few years ago, it is about 39" high; the pod is forged from 6" angle iron. The great thing about my job, is that I never go to work, well at least while I'm making stuff.
Great work Daryl R! I am also a smith! I make stuff for 18th and 19th century reenactors.
Attached Images

Wally P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:35 PM   #17

Wow: neat to find more blacksmiths with fgrv's, I think there will be a number at ABANA in Memphis. I wish I could go but this is my busy season. I hopefully will have my trailer back together for mid July we have Adrian Legge and Henry Pomfret from Hereford Collage over.

Ian will be another one to visit if I ever make that East Coast trip, I would like to fisit Vermont in the fall..

Keith with an anvil as an avatar I figured you were a smith. One more to put on your list and I'm told the best conference is Quad States.

Dave You put me to shame, I remember going to the Boeing surplus center in the 80's talk about a kid in a candy store. We loaded a 5 ton truck with stuff.

Wally very nice work, and very clean. Love the reverse twists, I like how you did the Hammer like pick. I have met a number of the members of the NWBG. Grant S makes some cool tools.

Roger: the Smiths from Hereford are professors, in England you can get your BA in Blacksmithing, they are very talented smiths.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:18 PM   #18

Quote:
Great work Daryl R! I am also a smith! I make stuff for 18th and 19th century reenactors.
Absolutely "beautimus" , my man.

EKW
Old 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #19

Hmmmmmm, I'm thinking we need to organize a "Blacksmithing Egg-Fest-Hammer-in". I have some great Dutch Oven recipies for great Breakfasts and fabuloous Chili and lots of other good stuff. Maybe we could get Lori and Mike to come and "DO" our meals for us.

I think there are a lot more of us than you know. I'm getting all stoked up to go back to Illinois next week to meet up with my old buddies, many of whom are at ABANA in Memphis this week, DRAT!!!! that I can't be there. Anyway, come join us in Pontiac, Illinois June 11,12,13 and you'll be stunned at what's going on with Blacksmithing. If I hadn't had so much Wine, tonight, I'd write more, but my fingers aren't working so good.

Just remember; Blacksmiths go to Hell for 2 reasons.
Hammering Cold Iron & not Charging enough!

For all your days prepare
and meet them all alike.
When you are the Anvil, bear....
When you are the Hammer, STRIKE!

Edwin Markham, the great American Poet wrote that. God Bless Him.

EKW (anvilmanco)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #20

Trailer: Trillium 13 ft
Daryl, It's great to see some of your pics up on this site. Terrific work! Today was the first time I've browsed the hobbies section at lunch and just saw your entry. I wonder how many of us metal beaters there are with these trailers. When I saw Ian Eddy's trailer at an event in Vermont last year he had done some beautiful hinges for all the interior doors. I believe he's a member here so maybe he'll post a pic of them. I've been thinking of doing something similar for my trilium when I redo trhe doors.

The U Haul that Raya sold to one of our fellow smiths was parked right next to my Trilllium when we were down in Maryland and it also made it to the Abana conference in Memphis. (I didn't bring my trailer there as I was working the setup crew and had housing provided.) If there are any other trailering smiths in the area of Indianapolis Indiana next weekend there will be a great event in Tipton- a little north of the city. Clifton Ralph, Steve Parker, and Kurt Fahrenbach will be forging a full size post vice under a real steam hammer (really running on steam) at the Tipton Fairgrounds. I'm thinking of trailering out myself to see these three masters at work together. I may even be able to flog a few of the new burners there and justify the trip as "work" (grin). Steve G
Stephen G is offline   Reply With Quote