Cast Iron Toys - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-12-2015, 07:38 AM   #15

Name: Cathy
Trailer: In the Market
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Great, now I have to go looking through my boxes of treasures! Somewhere around here is an old cast iron bicycle about 6 inches long. It is fully functional; there's a rubber band that goes from the crank to the rear wheel and turns it when the pedals are pushed. When I was a kid I tried to get a pet mouse to ride it, but he was more interested in eating the (undoubtedly lead based) paint.
Just think what your life could have been like had the mouse rode the bicycle. You could have traveled the world with the circus! I really wanted to join the circus but I know not everyone would want to. I used to see advertisements for workamping with the carnival and circus. I kind of know that the idea probably looked better in my head than what the reality would have been.

We used to try to hitch the dog to our sled, the good old wooden ones, but my dad put a stop to that.

Grandpa had one of the cast iron elephant banks. I vaguely remember it but it seemed you put the coin somewhere and turned the tail which was a crank and the coin went inside. I think. My evil aunt took it before we could get our hands on it. We loved it, she probably saw the value of it. Grandma had the old sewing machine and I am not sure what happened to that.

Old 08-12-2015, 08:27 AM   #16

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Just think what your life could have been like had the mouse rode the bicycle. You could have traveled the world with the circus! I really wanted to join the circus but I know not everyone would want to. I used to see advertisements for workamping with the carnival and circus. I kind of know that the idea probably looked better in my head than what the reality would have been.

We used to try to hitch the dog to our sled, the good old wooden ones, but my dad put a stop to that.

Grandpa had one of the cast iron elephant banks. I vaguely remember it but it seemed you put the coin somewhere and turned the tail which was a crank and the coin went inside. I think. My evil aunt took it before we could get our hands on it. We loved it, she probably saw the value of it. Grandma had the old sewing machine and I am not sure what happened to that.
Aha, childhood memories! Dogs pulling sleds and wagons, dreams of joining the circus. Owning my grandmother's sewing machine. Revival of memories is what having a few old things around does for us!

Old 08-14-2015, 10:10 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Dennis, that's not "undisciplined," it's "web" thinking. Most men are linear thinkers, which explains why some have no patience with "web" thoughts and consider them "silly." Such styles of thinking are not gender specific, but are gender *related.* Thus, encountering a gentleman who thinks on several planes at once is always a treat! (You've heard the phrase "one-track mind"... this is what we usually encounter.)

I wouldn't consider hijacking a thread a complete bad thing -- it just shows you have a lot of thoughts happening at the same time, and need to get some of them out before they disappear (as you mention above).

At any rate, your cast-iron toys reminded me of MY cast-iron toys. Here is one:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...G-7ugaiUQDFpOK

I have others, but this one will come with me when I'm off-grid and would like to spend some gentle, peaceful time piecing bits of fabric into something warm and useful.

Did I just hijack your thread?
Hi Ellpea,
Looks like you and I share a penchant for sewing and for old sewing machines, especially Singer! I love my Singer Featherweight on which I learned to sew at age 5 and continue to cherish. In fact, most of my "glamping" decor for the Scamp were made on that "gem". Do you do the mechanical repairs on the old machines? Do you mostly save them for yourself or give/sell them to others?

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote