Cast Iron Toys - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Cast Iron Toys

Many years ago, my father-in-law worked for the Kenton Hardware Company, making Cast Iron Toys. We have started a small collection of toys made during the time he worked there. Here are a couple.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 08-10-2015, 12:56 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
I remember playing with these type of toys as a child.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:12 PM   #3

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Dennis, I'm new to this, so please let me know what this has to do with fiberglass RV's. The toys are gorgeous, so that may be a link to trailers!
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
It's because this post is in the Hobbies and Passions thread of the General Chat Forum that it's appropriate and let's us share interests.

For example, my hobby is collecting Ben Franklins ($100 bills). As my s.o.'s hobby is spending Ben Franklins, we need very little storage space for my hobby our tiny Hunter Compact-II. But hers is a different story.... LOL

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 02:50 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe this will help.
Only problem is, it's not a hobby or a passion, but I do have this combo and a few others.
Attached Thumbnails
2cv 2.jpg   2CV.jpg  

Old 08-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #6

Name: George
Trailer: In the market
New Mexico
Ha! Your answer is great! Now, I just have to design an N scale model railroad to fit inside a trailer....hmmm. Love that circus wagon, by the way. Wonder if the weight of the cast iron eventually affects your towing capacity!!!
George in New Mex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:08 PM   #7

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
When I saw your title I assumed that you meant camping toys such as pie irons, cast iron skillets and grills, oh my!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 03:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by George in New Mex View Post
Dennis, I'm new to this, so please let me know what this has to do with fiberglass RV's. The toys are gorgeous, so that may be a link to trailers!
I guess you can be forgiven since you are new here, but the heading says...

"General Chat
Similar to "Cheers" format, don't take anything too seriously. Come hang out, meet your friends."
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #9

Minnesota
Let me tell you that I am one of the most undisciplined people that you will ever meet. I am known, on other forums, as a thread hijacker. We are lucky that I found the off topic area before I forgot what I was going to post.

That said, owning these toys, is not about collecting. I wanted them because of my father in law's involvement in making them.
Old 08-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #10

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
My cast-iron *toys*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis mn View Post
Let me tell you that I am one of the most undisciplined people that you will ever meet. I am known, on other forums, as a thread hijacker. We are lucky that I found the off topic area before I forgot what I was going to post.
Dennis, that's not "undisciplined," it's "web" thinking. Most men are linear thinkers, which explains why some have no patience with "web" thoughts and consider them "silly." Such styles of thinking are not gender specific, but are gender *related.* Thus, encountering a gentleman who thinks on several planes at once is always a treat! (You've heard the phrase "one-track mind"... this is what we usually encounter.)

I wouldn't consider hijacking a thread a complete bad thing -- it just shows you have a lot of thoughts happening at the same time, and need to get some of them out before they disappear (as you mention above).

At any rate, your cast-iron toys reminded me of MY cast-iron toys. Here is one:
https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...G-7ugaiUQDFpOK

I have others, but this one will come with me when I'm off-grid and would like to spend some gentle, peaceful time piecing bits of fabric into something warm and useful.

Did I just hijack your thread?
Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 PM   #11

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
Dennis, that's not "undisciplined," it's "web" thinking. Most men are linear thinkers, which explains why some have no patience with "web" thoughts and consider them "silly." Such styles of thinking are not gender specific, but are gender *related.* Thus, encountering a gentleman who thinks on several planes at once is always a treat! (You've heard the phrase "one-track mind"... this is what we usually encounter.)

I wouldn't consider hijacking a thread a complete bad thing -- it just shows you have a lot of thoughts happening at the same time, and need to get some of them out before they disappear (as you mention above).

I have others, but this one will come with me when I'm off-grid and would like to spend some gentle, peaceful time piecing bits of fabric into something warm and useful.

I couldn't look at your picture, as I don't have a Google Account, am I correct in assuming that it is of a treadle Sewing Machine. I love the old, foot powered machines. I restored a 1912 Singer, and have an 1880's New Rogers Treadle Fret Saw waiting for a tune up. I personally believe that good hijacks lead to much more interesting conversations!
Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 PM   #12

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Actually, no, this is an 1876 Singer 12 hand-crank. I love my treadle, but it is a bit weighty and space-hungry to bring along in a 13.5 foot egg.

Fiberglass RV - Ellpea in CA's Album: Ellpea's Cast-Iron Toys - Picture

I spent an entire winter looking for the right hand crank to take with me when I found the right trailer to take us away...

Good -- maybe the hobby area is the place for web-thinkers to be, and I do love a healthy digression!
Old 08-12-2015, 05:25 AM   #13

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
I really like vintage toys. Every once in awhile, I see second hand things but not too often anymore. In our little free newspaper last week, they had a photo of "Tiny Tears" and other weeks, they have had cast iron toys and they talk about the history of the toy.

Those cast iron toys were a work of art.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:17 AM   #14

Name: Sands
Trailer: Escape
Arizona
Great, now I have to go looking through my boxes of treasures! Somewhere around here is an old cast iron bicycle about 6 inches long. It is fully functional; there's a rubber band that goes from the crank to the rear wheel and turns it when the pedals are pushed. When I was a kid I tried to get a pet mouse to ride it, but he was more interested in eating the (undoubtedly lead based) paint.
Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:38 AM   #15

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sands View Post
Great, now I have to go looking through my boxes of treasures! Somewhere around here is an old cast iron bicycle about 6 inches long. It is fully functional; there's a rubber band that goes from the crank to the rear wheel and turns it when the pedals are pushed. When I was a kid I tried to get a pet mouse to ride it, but he was more interested in eating the (undoubtedly lead based) paint.
Just think what your life could have been like had the mouse rode the bicycle. You could have traveled the world with the circus! I really wanted to join the circus but I know not everyone would want to. I used to see advertisements for workamping with the carnival and circus. I kind of know that the idea probably looked better in my head than what the reality would have been.

We used to try to hitch the dog to our sled, the good old wooden ones, but my dad put a stop to that.

Grandpa had one of the cast iron elephant banks. I vaguely remember it but it seemed you put the coin somewhere and turned the tail which was a crank and the coin went inside. I think. My evil aunt took it before we could get our hands on it. We loved it, she probably saw the value of it. Grandma had the old sewing machine and I am not sure what happened to that.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #16

Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy P. View Post
Just think what your life could have been like had the mouse rode the bicycle. You could have traveled the world with the circus! I really wanted to join the circus but I know not everyone would want to. I used to see advertisements for workamping with the carnival and circus. I kind of know that the idea probably looked better in my head than what the reality would have been.

We used to try to hitch the dog to our sled, the good old wooden ones, but my dad put a stop to that.

Grandpa had one of the cast iron elephant banks. I vaguely remember it but it seemed you put the coin somewhere and turned the tail which was a crank and the coin went inside. I think. My evil aunt took it before we could get our hands on it. We loved it, she probably saw the value of it. Grandma had the old sewing machine and I am not sure what happened to that.
Aha, childhood memories! Dogs pulling sleds and wagons, dreams of joining the circus. Owning my grandmother's sewing machine. Revival of memories is what having a few old things around does for us!
Old 08-14-2015, 09:10 PM   #17

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post

Hi Ellpea,
Looks like you and I share a penchant for sewing and for old sewing machines, especially Singer! I love my Singer Featherweight on which I learned to sew at age 5 and continue to cherish. In fact, most of my "glamping" decor for the Scamp were made on that "gem". Do you do the mechanical repairs on the old machines? Do you mostly save them for yourself or give/sell them to others?
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote