Charley gets a Playpac - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #1

Name: Charley
Trailer: Play-PAC
North Carolina
Charley gets a Playpac

So now for the story, everybody needs a story. First off I am a VW nut. I have been driving Volkswagens since I was 16. I collect anything VW related from matchbox cars to shirts and hats. Yea is kinda a bad addiction but I am trying to cope. 5 years ago my father and I were at a VW show in Winston Salem and somebody had a VW Bus with a Westfalia Camper there. I thought, you know for the last 30 years there has been a little white camper on the road into my hometown. I have seen it since I started driving in the 80s. Wouldn’t that be perfect to pull behind my VW bus? I called Daddy later that week and ask him to drive out there and see if it was still there. Well it was gone but we found out that his son had inherited the trailer and it was parked by the crossroads at an old barn. Daddy went there and sure enough it was there and he found one word on it- “PLAYPAC”. Nobody was home so I started researching this old trailer only to find out what a Playpac was and how it had been made for VWs. I had to have one!!!!! We found the guy’s wife and she informed us that he would never sell it because it came from his father and I began the five year search for our very own Playpac. My oldest daughter and I have tried a couple times to buy one but not having enough money or “someone just bought it” always got in the way. A couple months ago we found one on this website, close enough to drive to and see and for the right price. We contacted Jason, haggled and planned a trip that weekend to see it. Because my wife has forbidden me to bring anymore projects home my daughter’s boyfriend said he would loan me the money and we would tell my wife it was his. Great plan right. And so I paid the boyfriend back and the three of us went and got our new camper two weeks ago. I have started the restoration as the trailer was stripped and I am having a great time with my kids help. I could use all the help and friendship these projects bring and am happy to be part of the group.
Ccoghill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #2

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Welcome Charley! We all understand those obsessions. I have an unreasonable number of "project" trailers.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:48 PM   #3

Name: kathy
Trailer: 1972 Boler 13
New York
Registry
Pictures!

We need pictures please
adkboler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:20 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Good for you Charley

A bit of history: Concept of and commissioned by Steve Whysel, the PlayPac "Hitch Hut" was intended to be light enough to be towed by a VW Beetle. Seventy-five of these trailers were built in the (eastern) US between 1971-1973, when production ceased. They featured a private bathroom, domed skylight, slept six, and had an "ultra modern design."

And aren't we lucky... Steven Whysel is a member here and pops in occassionally to talk PlayPac!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
play–pac