Computers in eggs :) - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2013, 07:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Those look pretty much like the Beofeng? that I got at Dayton last year or the Wouxon.
They look good from afar but far from good to me,I can not stand mine really but it was also clearly worth the money I guess?
We had a guy in Joplin with SATERN that had the Wouxon and we took it away from him! The transmit audio was so bad we couldn't let him use it for relief work.I carry 2 beater VX-5s for just that occasion and use VX-7s mostly myself. The Beofang has no 12vdc input either and the charger looks just like yours.

All Yaesu,Kenwood or Motorola for me.
I do have one of those battery eliminators for both Yaesu and Kenwood and even Icom and I carry a 7ah gel cell in a fanny pack bottle holder which can give me more talk time than I have ever needed in a day but when I need them for emcomm I charge every night too.

I also EDC a VX-2 or 3 which can be a lot of fun too.

Too many toys!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Another reason to have a PC running- APRS receiver/map display- keep track of the family! I've been really happy with my radios, Ed, and one of the first things we did with the "test" radio was to hook it up to the service monitor and it was well within specs and sounds good too, even receiving FM broadcast. The case is kind of cruddy, and the belt clip is bent, but it works perfectly. I've dropped mine on rocks, in mud, water, off the motorcycle once (low-speed). I did replace the antenna with a thin Diamond whip.

Anyone take a pico projector with them and show movies on the side of the egg? Hmm?

*Just having a recollection of watching hokey nature films in the amphitheater in the state park as a kid.
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:18 PM   #23

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Ha!
I project the Super Bowl and Movies at the Scamp Camp in Florida in February but I use a DLP projector, portable screen and sound system that I carry with me.

It works great and is a big hit in the park.

I have a Yaesu FT-350 in the tow vehicle and carry a TM-D7 too so I can interface to APRS if the need arises from either to a computer.
I also broadcast APRS so I can be tracked on FIND-U as KC0UKR-5 too.

It is a crazy Nerdlinger world isn't it!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
I have six rod and reels...............do they count?
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 01:46 AM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Cool Computer?

What's a computer?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:42 AM   #26

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
What's a computer?
A gentleman who sits in a room calculating artillery trajectories using, if he is lucky, an ivory-covered slide rule.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:37 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
A gentleman who sits in a room calculating artillery trajectories using, if he is lucky, an ivory-covered slide rule.
Not in the last 25 years or so.
Old 05-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #28

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
25 years? My HS physics teacher was doing it on an early computer around the end of WWII.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #29
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Just meant artillery. Even naval gunners have had varying types of computers for a long time to come up with a solution much faster. Probably since the 80's has it been practical for a soldier in the field to have a computer with them, at least one that will stand up to the conditions.
Old 05-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #30

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
My 31 year old army son-in-law does his artillery trajectories using a "computer" I don't even think he even knows what a slide rule is. I remember having one myself but I was useless in math so never figured out how to use it, think I even kept it until a few years ago, don't ask me why.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #31
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
I would say that a slide rule is pretty low on my packing list, not sure (or sure hope) I'd ever use one in the camper. But a PC, that I have many uses for!

And I'm sure I can't fit a room full of people using slide rules into the Scamp, plus they don't do 1080 video real fast.
Old 05-29-2013, 08:31 AM   #32

Name: gary
Trailer: 16' 1998 Scamp
Minnesota
Registry
I love the way this forum harbors digressions that wander off into amazing territory.
fusedlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #33

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusedlight View Post
I love the way this forum harbors digressions that wander off into amazing territory.
Pretty much a standard of the many forums I peruse. As long as they go in a direction that is of value, it is not too bad of a thing. But when they digress into nonsensical drivel is when it becomes useless.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #34
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
I usually try to loop it back around to the topic, not always successfully. I've never been accused of solid linear thinking, just the way my brain works. I do restrain myself from posting a lot of things that would be completely off-topic, but somehow related in my head. C'est la vie.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #35

Name: Adrian
Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA
Manitoba
I'll try to loop it back around to the topic "computers in eggs" since it got off track with the slide rule - but think about it, computers were invented to do calculations which slide rules did and many it could not. My mother operated a a "comptometer" which was a very fancy calculator used in business into the 60's.

Of course computers have become much more - and when camping we want access to the internet so we can contribute to forums like FG an be able to "watch TV" without having an actual television and the power demands, cable or no cable at an RV site, issues etc.

For those boondocking having a moderate power drawing laptop or iPad and a good data plan (or access to wireless) is a real boon. This thread as well as many other on this forum are certainly helping me determine just what I want and do not want when we finally order our Escape.

Adrian
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #36

Name: Frank
Trailer: 2012 ParkLiner #006
New York
We use my iPad when traveling, camper or no. We also have iPhones. Both are easy to charge anywhere we are.

Frank
frank_a is offline   Reply With Quote