Corner Curtain Rod Hack - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 06-17-2016, 09:37 AM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Washington
Registry
Hi, Ellpea,

My camera hasn't worked wince we upgraded to Windows 10. But this AM Paul insisted I try using his camera and after all, HE has all the photos of Peanut.

Let's see if this comes through. (AND IT DOES!

Should show "Peanut" (a shell with two nuts in it) doorway
with the curtain panel rolled up and "tabbed" and then with it rolled down.
The magnets weren't installed yet on the door below the window corners. They are now.

The curtails are made out of thin fleece, doubled, and hemmed with a casing at the top for the rod and the bottom for the magnets or corner metal, like a big washer which then sticks to the magnets attached to the door.

You can still see the old rod ends below the window, I think; they were removed and the holes used for the Industrial magnets with the beveled holes in the center--we used a flat-headed screw, a vinyl washer, and butyl rubber to seal them.

Photos show the "original" dark brown and the new Rustoleum marine white.

bottom photo you can see a kind of "crutch" which is what we used for the handle on our heavy-duty stepstool that took us 3 days to make after a day of measuring and planning. We used scraps of 5/8 marine ply and industrial refer truck wall lining plastic for the feet. Also non-skid strips on top.

ANYWAY, there you go, our first proper pics of the saga of the poop-brown trailer redo! And the curtain panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 084.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 086.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 056.JPG  

Old 06-17-2016, 12:23 PM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Excellent idea! I would replace copper tubing with half inch CPVC pipe, it is bendable with heat gun and can be painted to any colour.

Old 06-17-2016, 07:42 PM   #17

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, Ellpea,

My camera hasn't worked wince we upgraded to Windows 10. But this AM Paul insisted I try using his camera and after all, HE has all the photos of Peanut.

Let's see if this comes through. (AND IT DOES!

Should show "Peanut" (a shell with two nuts in it) doorway
with the curtain panel rolled up and "tabbed" and then with it rolled down.
The magnets weren't installed yet on the door below the window corners. They are now.

The curtails are made out of thin fleece, doubled, and hemmed with a casing at the top for the rod and the bottom for the magnets or corner metal, like a big washer which then sticks to the magnets attached to the door.

You can still see the old rod ends below the window, I think; they were removed and the holes used for the Industrial magnets with the beveled holes in the center--we used a flat-headed screw, a vinyl washer, and butyl rubber to seal them.

Photos show the "original" dark brown and the new Rustoleum marine white.

bottom photo you can see a kind of "crutch" which is what we used for the handle on our heavy-duty stepstool that took us 3 days to make after a day of measuring and planning. We used scraps of 5/8 marine ply and industrial refer truck wall lining plastic for the feet. Also non-skid strips on top.

ANYWAY, there you go, our first proper pics of the saga of the poop-brown trailer redo! And the curtain panels.
Kathleen, this is a great idea for the door, and I like how the magnets work! When we camped this winter (and discovered we couldn't get the furnace turned on), the door reflected freezing air into the trailer. I wonder what it's like on the inside, given how some people have found theirs full of water, etc.! I don't see any signs of leaks or damage though.

I've thought about doing an insulated, reflective panel there, or perhaps some kind of quilted panel, that would just stay in place at night when it's cold. Your magnet idea will really help with that -- thanks!

Oh, and the poop-brown trailer now looks great! You should post some photos of the inside!
5 cylinders, 5 speed auto transmission
Ellpea in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Excellent idea! I would replace copper tubing with half inch CPVC pipe, it is bendable with heat gun and can be painted to any colour.
Note: PVC pipe sags in time.

Ellepa, I, too, have wanted my curtains to "wrap around". I cannot tell how and where you attached the cup hooks. Please explain.

I have found ways to gather my curtains on the bottom and it works reasonably well! I'm not sure the method could be adapted to wrap around curtains, though.

Basically, on the side windows I ran a length of narrow 1/4" bungee cord through the bottom hem and attached small hooks to each end of the cord. I attached the hooks to "sash" curtain rod holders. The "sash" curtain rod holders are attached to the "rat fur" with "upholstery twist pins". I'm sorry I do not have photos of this technique but I have included photos of the bungee cord, hooks, "sash" curtain rod holders and "upholstery twist pins". Note: The photos are not in scale relative to one another! The twist pins are very small.

I did experiment with using the "sash curtain rod" through the bottom hem but it did not work out.

On the back, wide window I inserted a tent rod (actually, 2 pieces) in the bottom hem and attached the ends with two "cubicle clips" (used in office cubicles). It works nicely!

For the front window, I decided it was easier to just let the bottom edge of the curtain hang loosely as I remove and replace the "banana" cushion regularly.

Hope these instructions help you and anyone else who wants to anchor the bottom of their curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 064.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #19

California
Registry
Ellpea, Your curtain rod "hack" and curtains are beautiful!

There is an article online as to how to make your own bendable curtain rods. I'm not sure what they mean about "clear plastic pipe". Maybe they are referring to surgical tubing. This method might work better for me as my back curtain rod is at a slightly different height than my side curtain rods. The "clear plastic pipe" might "give" a little.
How to Make Your Own Bendable Curtain Rod | Home Guides | SF Gate
Old 06-25-2016, 03:38 PM   #20

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
How to keep curtain rods from falling

I'm still using the original Scamp curtains...kinda dull. Before I switch out and use some of the above wonderful ideas, I need advice on how to keep the !*!* curtain rods from falling down while traveling. Tried rubber bands, but not always successful. Suggesitons appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 06-25-2016, 04:32 PM   #21

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
Ellpea, Your curtain rod "hack" and curtains are beautiful!

There is an article online as to how to make your own bendable curtain rods. I'm not sure what they mean about "clear plastic pipe". Maybe they are referring to surgical tubing. This method might work better for me as my back curtain rod is at a slightly different height than my side curtain rods. The "clear plastic pipe" might "give" a little.
How to Make Your Own Bendable Curtain Rod | Home Guides | SF Gate
Gilda (blush) thank you! I like them too.

About your slightly different levels, you could probably use the plastic OR the copper tube. The tube is "bendable," but sturdy. You could likely flex it around to fit your slightly varied heights.

(My rear upper cabinet is sagging a bit on one side. Checking into it, the screw which should secure it to the cleat is not screwed into anything. So far, I haven't figured out how to get the false bottom out of the cupboard in order to get to the screw. I think I would have to brace up (or jack up, depending on weight) that corner in order to get the screw in where it should go. In the meantime, my curtain rod kind of floats around under this slightly out of level area [yes, it does drive me crazy so will have to do something soon])
Old 06-25-2016, 04:39 PM   #22

California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Scott View Post
I'm still using the original Scamp curtains...kinda dull. Before I switch out and use some of the above wonderful ideas, I need advice on how to keep the !*!* curtain rods from falling down while traveling. Tried rubber bands, but not always successful. Suggesitons appreciated.
Thanks.
Marilyn, I guess it depends on what kind of hanging device you are using for your rods? When I still had the traditional rod types, the PO had wrapped white duct tape around the curtain bracket, which partially concealed the bracket and also kept the rod in place.

You could possibly tighten the bracket clamp a bit with pliers so the clamp has a better grip on the rod (still, not sure what kind of bracket you have).

You could apply (silly suggestion but would probably work) and little dab of silly putty type material.

For my wrap around curtains, simple cup hooks hold the whole thing in place. But for such a long stretch of rod, the trailer would have to do a lot of bouncing and banging around to knock that long rod loose.

This makes me wonder... How is the suspension on your trailer? Does it have any bounce left besides what you get from the tires? If not, things may be rattling around too much in there, which is not healthy for your little egg.

It's bloody hot outside right now, but someone else also asked questions about the cup hooks, where and how many. I'll go out and take some photos of these when things cool down a bit.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:43 PM   #23

Name: K C
Trailer: 1980 18' Sunrader Motorhome and 1971 Trails West CampMite Campster
Washington
That kind of soft tubing is also available in aluminum.
Old 06-25-2016, 06:48 PM   #24

Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Ontario
I beam type track can be bent with a pipe bender or look for the flexible stuff in boat supply places.
Old 06-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #25

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:

Thanks.
Bend the bracket slightly where the rod attaches. If more than the occasional curtain rod gets tossed around under tow, it might be time to check the axle.
Old 06-25-2016, 11:11 PM   #26

California
Registry
Quote:
Thanks.
My Scamp (2011) original curtain rods were too small for the rod holder. I switched the rods for a larger diameter, standard size, sold at most hardware stores or Walmart. In addition, I have attached the rods at both ends to the rod holder with zip ties. Since I've done that the rods do NOT come off in transit! When I change out my outer panels I just leave the rods in place because I keep the original curtains in the center, between the rod holders. I rarely need to take down the rods and when I do, I cut the zip tie and replace with a new one when needed.

Note: I extend the rod ends (with finials) beyond the width of the rod holders, thereby making a space to hang the (removable) decorative side panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 063.jpg  
Old 06-26-2016, 12:07 AM   #27
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
If you wish to bend plastic PVC or ABS pipe to a rounded corner, make a template of the curve out of wood that fits the corner profile. Then fill the pipe with dry sand and use a heat gun (not a blow dryer) to heat the pipe and bend it around to fit the radius of your profile. The sand will pack the pipe but give when bending and you wind up with a clean bend without kinks. Warning: buy extra pipe, this takes practice!

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: http://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 PM   #28

Name: Kathleen (Kai in Seattle)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973
Washington
Registry
simple fix for bouncing curtain rods

Quote:
Thanks.

This is very easy.
You take a drill and make a tiny pilot hole through the front of the curtain rod end bracket and into the rod itself.
Then you screw in a tiny screw through the bracket and into the rod.

VOILA.

No more bouncing out of the brackets...and no more self-extending when you shift the curtains!