Some of us "glamping" ladies have discussed the problem of curtains and curtain rods.
Specifically, when curtains are "open" they still block a lot of the window. It would be nice if the rods were longer, so we could sweep the curtains into the corner. Or even, AROUND the corners.
The existing saggy rods in my Lil Bigfoot
were driving me crazy.
I wanted something that was straight and secure in the center and which also gave me room to push the curtains around into the corners. It had to be strong, yet malleable.
I gambled on copper tubing.
This box of 20 feet or so was under $20 at Orchard Supply Hardware. It was just enough to wrap all the way around the rear and sides of the Lil Bigfoot
, with enough left over to do the front window.
I used basic white cup hooks to support the rod. I placed one hook in the center of the back window, one in each corner, and one at each end of the side windows
. The rod stretches all the way around the back half of the trailer.
I used needle-nosed pliers and simply crimped and rolled each end into a loop, which then hooked over the cup hook. Easy.
Once I had this set up the way I liked it, I then felt the need for MORE FABRIC. After all, when the curtains are closed, we then have this blank space in the corners, decorated with a bare copper pipe.
So I went searching for fabric that would coordinate with the existing curtains, which could keep the corners permanently filled in.
After searching fabric stores to no avail, I stumbled across a set of twin sheets in Target that had just the right colors. I love mixing fabrics and patterns, so bit the bullet and bought them. The top sheet gave me just enough fabric to make six panels (four corners plus the inside ends of side windows). That also gave me one matching pillow case, and a fitted bottom sheet that stretches easily over the foam pad for the bed. (Yes, I love the fabric enough that I bought another set to have a second pillow case, more fabric to use for lots more stuff in there!)
Now the corners are always covered (no copper rod visible), and my only concern is the copper rod in the center when the windows
are open. Yes, it probably only bothers ME. But in the photo above, I hung vintage doilies over the rod during the day. Am still mulling how to create sensible valances that will remain in place.
And, at some time in the future I think I'll revisit, because I don't like the curtains hanging "open" at the bottom. I think I would like them secured and gathered. So may experiment with installing another rod at the bottom.
But for now, I'm happy!