Corner Curtain Rod Hack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #1

Name: Ellpea
Trailer: 1989 Lil Bigfoot
CA
Corner Curtain Rod Hack

Some of us "glamping" ladies have discussed the problem of curtains and curtain rods.

Specifically, when curtains are "open" they still block a lot of the window. It would be nice if the rods were longer, so we could sweep the curtains into the corner. Or even, AROUND the corners.

The existing saggy rods in my Lil Bigfoot were driving me crazy.

I wanted something that was straight and secure in the center and which also gave me room to push the curtains around into the corners. It had to be strong, yet malleable.

I gambled on copper tubing.

This box of 20 feet or so was under $20 at Orchard Supply Hardware. It was just enough to wrap all the way around the rear and sides of the Lil Bigfoot, with enough left over to do the front window.

I used basic white cup hooks to support the rod. I placed one hook in the center of the back window, one in each corner, and one at each end of the side windows. The rod stretches all the way around the back half of the trailer.

I used needle-nosed pliers and simply crimped and rolled each end into a loop, which then hooked over the cup hook. Easy.

Once I had this set up the way I liked it, I then felt the need for MORE FABRIC. After all, when the curtains are closed, we then have this blank space in the corners, decorated with a bare copper pipe.

So I went searching for fabric that would coordinate with the existing curtains, which could keep the corners permanently filled in.

After searching fabric stores to no avail, I stumbled across a set of twin sheets in Target that had just the right colors. I love mixing fabrics and patterns, so bit the bullet and bought them. The top sheet gave me just enough fabric to make six panels (four corners plus the inside ends of side windows). That also gave me one matching pillow case, and a fitted bottom sheet that stretches easily over the foam pad for the bed. (Yes, I love the fabric enough that I bought another set to have a second pillow case, more fabric to use for lots more stuff in there!)

Now the corners are always covered (no copper rod visible), and my only concern is the copper rod in the center when the windows are open. Yes, it probably only bothers ME. But in the photo above, I hung vintage doilies over the rod during the day. Am still mulling how to create sensible valances that will remain in place.

And, at some time in the future I think I'll revisit, because I don't like the curtains hanging "open" at the bottom. I think I would like them secured and gathered. So may experiment with installing another rod at the bottom.

But for now, I'm happy!
Old 06-15-2016, 10:01 PM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Nice mod Ellpea, soft copper, who would a thunk ? You could paint the tubing to blend in with the wall color.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:14 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
With a bit of planning, you could run propane to wall sconces.
Old 06-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Ikea sells curved corner curtain rods if someone does not wish to fabricate the corners.
RÄCKA Curtain rod corner connector - black, - IKEA
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:43 AM   #5

Name: RandyB
Trailer: The BIG "O"
New Hampshire
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
the corners are always covered (no copper rod visible), and my only concern is the copper rod in the center when the windows are open. Yes, it probably only bothers ME. But in the photo above, I hung vintage doilies over the rod during the day. Am still mulling how to create sensible valances that will remain in place.
One thing you could do would be to get some white Duck Tape and take the rods down and ensuring the tape seam ends up towards the wall run the length of the tube, this way whatever is exposed is white and blends with the trailer. Otherwise, what you've already done looks awesome!
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
brilliantly clever idea and execution! If I hadn't already made the roll-down panels, secured by industrial magnets at the lower corners, I'd have seriously considered the corner copper rodding!

Must say, the rod, when curtains are open, doesn't bother me at all; it's a curtain rod, no shame there! But valances would be good, too, and I love the doilies.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:53 PM   #7

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
corner curtains....

nice job!

I wanted corner curtains in my Compact Jr for a different reason, to hide Reflectix on the walls.

Under the windows I covered it up with oak veneer plywood. But I needed curved rods for the corner material.

Mine was quicker, dirtier and cheaper, not much "glam" in my camper. But it worked ok.

I used dowels that insert into eye hooks on top of the window trim. To conform to the corner two pieces of dowel were inserted into a short piece of plastic tubing.

Don't examine the curtains too closely, they aren't hemmed yet!
Attached Thumbnails
composite.jpg  
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:18 PM   #8

Registry
Say, John Madill, that's clever, too! I like it a lot!

Photos look good...I like the Compact Jr. and its layout; the curtains really do the job!

I doubt I could see they weren't hemmed even in person; in a photo, no chance of that! Your secret is safe with me 8)
Old 06-16-2016, 04:54 PM   #9

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by john madill View Post
nice job!
Thanks! It's nice to see I'm not the only one who likes to mix it up with fabrics!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:56 PM   #10

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
One thing you could do would be to get some white Duck Tape and take the rods down and ensuring the tape seam ends up towards the wall run the length of the tube, this way whatever is exposed is white and blends with the trailer. Otherwise, what you've already done looks awesome!
Great idea... thanks!
Old 06-16-2016, 04:58 PM   #11

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
brilliantly clever idea and execution! If I hadn't already made the roll-down panels, secured by industrial magnets at the lower corners, I'd have seriously considered the corner copper rodding!

Must say, the rod, when curtains are open, doesn't bother me at all; it's a curtain rod, no shame there! But valances would be good, too, and I love the doilies.
Kathleen, have you posted photos of your roll-down panels? How did you do them?
Old 06-16-2016, 05:01 PM   #12

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
With a bit of planning, you could run propane to wall sconces.

Interesting idea!
Old 06-16-2016, 05:06 PM   #13

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Nice mod Ellpea, soft copper, who would a thunk ? You could paint the tubing to blend in with the wall color.
This used to be my hubby's response to my ideas (who woulda thunk), but now he just gives me my head!

Painting the rod is a good idea. I wondered if I would have trouble getting the paint to "stick?"
Old 06-16-2016, 05:26 PM   #14

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellpea in CA View Post
This used to be my hubby's response to my ideas (who woulda thunk), but now he just gives me my head!

Painting the rod is a good idea. I wondered if I would have trouble getting the paint to "stick?"
Wipe it down with acetone ect to remove any oils first, it'll stick fine.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #15

Registry
Hi, Ellpea,

My camera hasn't worked wince we upgraded to Windows 10. But this AM Paul insisted I try using his camera and after all, HE has all the photos of Peanut.

Let's see if this comes through. (AND IT DOES!

Should show "Peanut" (a shell with two nuts in it) doorway
with the curtain panel rolled up and "tabbed" and then with it rolled down.
The magnets weren't installed yet on the door below the window corners. They are now.

The curtails are made out of thin fleece, doubled, and hemmed with a casing at the top for the rod and the bottom for the magnets or corner metal, like a big washer which then sticks to the magnets attached to the door.

You can still see the old rod ends below the window, I think; they were removed and the holes used for the Industrial magnets with the beveled holes in the center--we used a flat-headed screw, a vinyl washer, and butyl rubber to seal them.

Photos show the "original" dark brown and the new Rustoleum marine white.

bottom photo you can see a kind of "crutch" which is what we used for the handle on our heavy-duty stepstool that took us 3 days to make after a day of measuring and planning. We used scraps of 5/8 marine ply and industrial refer truck wall lining plastic for the feet. Also non-skid strips on top.

ANYWAY, there you go, our first proper pics of the saga of the poop-brown trailer redo! And the curtain panels.
Attached Thumbnails
Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 084.JPG   Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 086.JPG  

Peanut 10 2015 to 6 2016 056.JPG  
Old 06-17-2016, 11:23 AM   #16

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Excellent idea! I would replace copper tubing with half inch CPVC pipe, it is bendable with heat gun and can be painted to any colour.
Old 06-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #17

CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi, Ellpea,

My camera hasn't worked wince we upgraded to Windows 10. But this AM Paul insisted I try using his camera and after all, HE has all the photos of Peanut.

Let's see if this comes through. (AND IT DOES!

Should show "Peanut" (a shell with two nuts in it) doorway
with the curtain panel rolled up and "tabbed" and then with it rolled down.
The magnets weren't installed yet on the door below the window corners. They are now.

The curtails are made out of thin fleece, doubled, and hemmed with a casing at the top for the rod and the bottom for the magnets or corner metal, like a big washer which then sticks to the magnets attached to the door.

You can still see the old rod ends below the window, I think; they were removed and the holes used for the Industrial magnets with the beveled holes in the center--we used a flat-headed screw, a vinyl washer, and butyl rubber to seal them.

Photos show the "original" dark brown and the new Rustoleum marine white.

bottom photo you can see a kind of "crutch" which is what we used for the handle on our heavy-duty stepstool that took us 3 days to make after a day of measuring and planning. We used scraps of 5/8 marine ply and industrial refer truck wall lining plastic for the feet. Also non-skid strips on top.

ANYWAY, there you go, our first proper pics of the saga of the poop-brown trailer redo! And the curtain panels.
Kathleen, this is a great idea for the door, and I like how the magnets work! When we camped this winter (and discovered we couldn't get the furnace turned on), the door reflected freezing air into the trailer. I wonder what it's like on the inside, given how some people have found theirs full of water, etc.! I don't see any signs of leaks or damage though.

I've thought about doing an insulated, reflective panel there, or perhaps some kind of quilted panel, that would just stay in place at night when it's cold. Your magnet idea will really help with that -- thanks!

Oh, and the poop-brown trailer now looks great! You should post some photos of the inside!
Old 06-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #18

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
Excellent idea! I would replace copper tubing with half inch CPVC pipe, it is bendable with heat gun and can be painted to any colour.
Note: PVC pipe sags in time.

Ellepa, I, too, have wanted my curtains to "wrap around". I cannot tell how and where you attached the cup hooks. Please explain.

I have found ways to gather my curtains on the bottom and it works reasonably well! I'm not sure the method could be adapted to wrap around curtains, though.

Basically, on the side windows I ran a length of narrow 1/4" bungee cord through the bottom hem and attached small hooks to each end of the cord. I attached the hooks to "sash" curtain rod holders. The "sash" curtain rod holders are attached to the "rat fur" with "upholstery twist pins". I'm sorry I do not have photos of this technique but I have included photos of the bungee cord, hooks, "sash" curtain rod holders and "upholstery twist pins". Note: The photos are not in scale relative to one another! The twist pins are very small.

I did experiment with using the "sash curtain rod" through the bottom hem but it did not work out.

On the back, wide window I inserted a tent rod (actually, 2 pieces) in the bottom hem and attached the ends with two "cubicle clips" (used in office cubicles). It works nicely!

For the front window, I decided it was easier to just let the bottom edge of the curtain hang loosely as I remove and replace the "banana" cushion regularly.

Hope these instructions help you and anyone else who wants to anchor the bottom of their curtains.
Attached Thumbnails
Lodi Wine Tasting July 2015 064.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 08:22 PM   #19

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Ellpea, Your curtain rod "hack" and curtains are beautiful!

There is an article online as to how to make your own bendable curtain rods. I'm not sure what they mean about "clear plastic pipe". Maybe they are referring to surgical tubing. This method might work better for me as my back curtain rod is at a slightly different height than my side curtain rods. The "clear plastic pipe" might "give" a little.
How to Make Your Own Bendable Curtain Rod | Home Guides | SF Gate
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #20

Name: Marilyn
Trailer: 13 ft 2005 Scamp Deluxe; 2002 Subaru V6 Outback
Oregon
How to keep curtain rods from falling

I'm still using the original Scamp curtains...kinda dull. Before I switch out and use some of the above wonderful ideas, I need advice on how to keep the !*!* curtain rods from falling down while traveling. Tried rubber bands, but not always successful. Suggesitons appreciated.
Thanks.
M Scott is offline   Reply With Quote