Fabric and Quilts, Camping style - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 PM   #21

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Carol - I wish I'd known about that lining before I made my curtains. Having something to help prevent mildew on the fabric would have been nice. I did use a black-out lining though as it gives both a nice drape and weight to the curtains and blocks the light, which is very useful to us since we like sleeping with it really dark and sometimes we end up staying in a spot where street lights or security lights or even the lights on another RV can be a real nuisance.

PS - I tried clicking on the link I put in a previous post about the hunky guys, but when I tried to use it to show someone else the fabric it just took me to the fabrics.com home page. If you search there for "The Outdoorsy Type" you'll find it - not something I would use in our trailer, but very campy - as in silly, funny!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:09 PM   #22

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
I saw the guy one, too, when I was looking. Funny, I wonder who buys those?

Now I'm looking for something for a backing (fleece, probably) for my quilt, maybe a foresty print.

I also thought it would be a good idea to make some kind of matching seat cushion- waterproof on one side so I can put it on a wet seat, and a little bit insulating. Maybe a cup cozy to match!
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:36 PM   #23

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I saw the guy one, too, when I was looking. Funny, I wonder who buys those?!
I wondered the same but then I thought that perhaps if you had a vintage tin can trailer and a cowgirl/country theme and where a single female owner it might be a little bit fun to use. Would be a conversation piece for sure
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:36 PM   #24

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
When this thread started I visited spoon flower.com. Today I returned and I wonder if there aren't new things. Searched "trailer" and now I see:

Mod trailers
Road trip
Travel trailer vintage Stars and Stripes green and yellow

Maybe they were there before, but I didn't remember them.

Thanks for bringing that site to my attention. It is really great.

Nancy
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:34 PM   #25

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
This is a great thread. Thanks ladies for posting all of these great fabrics. I love all things (well, almost all) vintage and these fabrics are great for a retro look. I'm decorating my little Scamp in the vintage cowgirl theme and having a lot of fun picking the fabrics and decorative pieces. Of course I'll need to throw a little "glamping" into the mix. I love seeing others having as much decorating and making your trailer your own, as I do.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:20 AM   #26

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Too cool! Absolutely excited here!!!! I FOUND the fabric for my trailer on spoonflower.com. I only wanted primary colors and preferred something light. I have looked, off and on, for months... and everything I found had orange and/or green. Not this! I'll order right after the first of the year.

THANKS ALL!
Attached Thumbnails
PrimaryPopGrid.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM   #27

Registry
Cute, Donna! I like Spoonflower, too.

And I have to give a thumbs up for Fabric.com I ordered some fleece for another quilt, and when I was laying it out realized there was a small hole in it. It didn't affect the use but I emailed to tell them as it might have gone through the bolt. I told them NOT to worry about refund or replacement as I was able to use it anyway.

But they replaced it immediately, anyway.

And a thumbs down for musicalfabrics.com I can't remember which fabric I bought there, but the idiot sent it to my billing address-on purpose ignoring the shipping address because it was Paypal and apparently the guarantee to the vendor is better if they ship to billing address- and was completely unhelpful when I complained, saying if it came back they'd send it again. No replacement, nothing. Thumbs down to the postal service, too, as when it got to Fresno (priority mail, which is first class) instead of forwarding it they send it to undeliverable mail somewhere, then eight days later BACK to Fresno, where this time they managed find the forward and send it to me. (And in all this time no inquiry from the vendor to see if I ever received it.)
Old 12-16-2012, 11:40 AM   #28

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Are we there yet

Found this fabric last April while visiting my mom and taking her to Lake Chelan. It was a small piece and found some more of it on ebay. Made a nice door curtain. I have some that is a similar theme that I have used to cover part of the cushions. I hope to finish up with that project this winter.

There are some nice fabrics out there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0318.jpg  
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #29

Registry
I finished the top of my camping quilt. I have fleece for the backing but am now trying to decide on batting. The choices are none, cotton (stiffer but thinner) and polyester (about 1 inch loft.) I'd rather quilt the cotton but the polyester might feel comfier.
Attached Thumbnails
image-470961285.jpg  
Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #30

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
So cute Bobbie!
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #31

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Beautiful and so fun. Makes me want to cuddle up under it in my little SCAMP, read a book and take a nap. I'm going to have to make one too I guess. Good job Bobbie.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #32

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
PS - I tried clicking on the link I put in a previous post about the hunky guys, but when I tried to use it to show someone else the fabric it just took me to the fabrics.com home page. If you search there for "The Outdoorsy Type" you'll find it - not something I would use in our trailer, but very campy - as in silly, funny!
LOL, I sent that fabric link over to one of my lady camping groups. They'll love it thanks for sharing! I use Fabric.com a lot for my fabrics
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #33

Registry
Finishing the quilt is on hold now until I get back to California (no time) but I'm looking forward to snuggling under it next summer in my recliner while camping. There are a lot of cute fabrics out there. My next projects after this are probably small quilts for the grandkids, though.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #34

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Finishing the quilt is on hold now until I get back to California (no time) but I'm looking forward to snuggling under it next summer in my recliner while camping. There are a lot of cute fabrics out there. My next projects after this are probably small quilts for the grandkids, though.
That's a reminder to me, I should start on those 2013 Christmas projects now....
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #35

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Winter trailer fabric

I have not been able to post pictures here, tried and tried to no avail. I found the most wonderful winter trailer fabric at our local fabric store. I also have some that I sent for. Fabric Depot in Portland Or has a wonderful website and sometimes has great outdoor fabric.
Our goal is to full time in our Scamp, which means I will have to sew and quilt by hand, something I love to do anyway. Has anyone else done this in a small trailer?

Janelle
Jerry-Janelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #36

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
upholstery question

OK< maybe this is where I should ask my question. All things being equal there is no reason this is just KILLING me , but it is. We have a 1977 Scamp, not bad shape, I do not think I can spend even three days in it with the plaid fabric. Iknow that sounds shallow, but I am wading in the mud here. So my dilemma is this: should I buy the bland, but reasonably priced replacement covers from Scamp, or wait and go wild with some fabulous thing that I will love and want to build on? How much fabric do ya'll think it would take? I am just going round and round in my head on this....do the practical thing, no do what you love? No I am not handy enough to do this right and make it look right, but I can find fabric I love at a good price--- thanks, feeling nuts, but hey

oh, Jeff is short for Jennifer and my husband thinks the plaid is fine and dandy
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #37

Registry
You might get more opinions posting this question somewhere else, but I guess it depends on which will bother you more- waiting to afford reupholstering in something you love (and it will likely cost a lot more unless you can do it yourself) or going with bland. You can dress up bland with throw pillows or curtains, and you may want the newer cushions even if ultimately you do decide to make covers.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #38

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Janelle View Post
I have not been able to post pictures here, tried and tried to no avail. I found the most wonderful winter trailer fabric at our local fabric store. I also have some that I sent for. Fabric Depot in Portland Or has a wonderful website and sometimes has great outdoor fabric.
Our goal is to full time in our Scamp, which means I will have to sew and quilt by hand, something I love to do anyway. Has anyone else done this in a small trailer?

Janelle
I haven't, but I have done my sewing and quilting without a dedicated space. I think you can do it if you stick to one project at a time or maybe two, and occasionally take advantage of great weather to work outside. I think you could use a machine- get a small one like a Featherweight that stores easily. You need to be able to clean everything up and restore the camper to common use very quickly. You could do your cutting out outside by putting a mat on the picnic table wherever you were, same for pinning quilts, and even sewing in nice weather. Use a plastic tote or two for supplies so you can put everything away. the hardest part for me is not being a packrat- I like to save everything but without space for boxes and boxes of scraps, I do not save many small scraps.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #39

Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
Thanks Gals for all the good info, my trailer came with the fabric for its windows. I love it but always like a change. Lots of good ideas.
Happy New Year and Happy Camping in 2013
RRIZZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #40

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Jennifer, I have made my own covers and all I can say is that in hindsight it may have been cheaper and *Faster* to buy the ones from Scamp. I at first was going to use a bold fun fabric but decided due to the cost of changing the covers I should probable go with something more simple in fabric design for the main covers and dress it up with the curtains and pillows which are far easier and cheaper to change out often. Scamps fabrics are pretty simple and wear well, the plaid does not really stand out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote