Fabric and Quilts, Camping style - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-28-2012, 08:28 PM   #29

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I finished the top of my camping quilt. I have fleece for the backing but am now trying to decide on batting. The choices are none, cotton (stiffer but thinner) and polyester (about 1 inch loft.) I'd rather quilt the cotton but the polyester might feel comfier.
Attached Thumbnails
image-470961285.jpg  

Old 12-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #30

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
So cute Bobbie!

Old 12-29-2012, 11:57 PM   #31

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Beautiful and so fun. Makes me want to cuddle up under it in my little SCAMP, read a book and take a nap. I'm going to have to make one too I guess. Good job Bobbie.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:45 AM   #32

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreengirl View Post
PS - I tried clicking on the link I put in a previous post about the hunky guys, but when I tried to use it to show someone else the fabric it just took me to the fabrics.com home page. If you search there for "The Outdoorsy Type" you'll find it - not something I would use in our trailer, but very campy - as in silly, funny!
LOL, I sent that fabric link over to one of my lady camping groups. They'll love it thanks for sharing! I use Fabric.com a lot for my fabrics
Old 12-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #33

Washington
Registry
Finishing the quilt is on hold now until I get back to California (no time) but I'm looking forward to snuggling under it next summer in my recliner while camping. There are a lot of cute fabrics out there. My next projects after this are probably small quilts for the grandkids, though.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #34

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
Finishing the quilt is on hold now until I get back to California (no time) but I'm looking forward to snuggling under it next summer in my recliner while camping. There are a lot of cute fabrics out there. My next projects after this are probably small quilts for the grandkids, though.
That's a reminder to me, I should start on those 2013 Christmas projects now....
Old 12-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #35

Name: Janelle & Jerry
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Registry
Winter trailer fabric

I have not been able to post pictures here, tried and tried to no avail. I found the most wonderful winter trailer fabric at our local fabric store. I also have some that I sent for. Fabric Depot in Portland Or has a wonderful website and sometimes has great outdoor fabric.
Our goal is to full time in our Scamp, which means I will have to sew and quilt by hand, something I love to do anyway. Has anyone else done this in a small trailer?

Janelle
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 PM   #36

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
upholstery question

OK< maybe this is where I should ask my question. All things being equal there is no reason this is just KILLING me , but it is. We have a 1977 Scamp, not bad shape, I do not think I can spend even three days in it with the plaid fabric. Iknow that sounds shallow, but I am wading in the mud here. So my dilemma is this: should I buy the bland, but reasonably priced replacement covers from Scamp, or wait and go wild with some fabulous thing that I will love and want to build on? How much fabric do ya'll think it would take? I am just going round and round in my head on this....do the practical thing, no do what you love? No I am not handy enough to do this right and make it look right, but I can find fabric I love at a good price--- thanks, feeling nuts, but hey

oh, Jeff is short for Jennifer and my husband thinks the plaid is fine and dandy
Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 PM   #37

Washington
Registry
You might get more opinions posting this question somewhere else, but I guess it depends on which will bother you more- waiting to afford reupholstering in something you love (and it will likely cost a lot more unless you can do it yourself) or going with bland. You can dress up bland with throw pillows or curtains, and you may want the newer cushions even if ultimately you do decide to make covers.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 PM   #38

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry-Janelle View Post
I have not been able to post pictures here, tried and tried to no avail. I found the most wonderful winter trailer fabric at our local fabric store. I also have some that I sent for. Fabric Depot in Portland Or has a wonderful website and sometimes has great outdoor fabric.
Our goal is to full time in our Scamp, which means I will have to sew and quilt by hand, something I love to do anyway. Has anyone else done this in a small trailer?

Janelle
I haven't, but I have done my sewing and quilting without a dedicated space. I think you can do it if you stick to one project at a time or maybe two, and occasionally take advantage of great weather to work outside. I think you could use a machine- get a small one like a Featherweight that stores easily. You need to be able to clean everything up and restore the camper to common use very quickly. You could do your cutting out outside by putting a mat on the picnic table wherever you were, same for pinning quilts, and even sewing in nice weather. Use a plastic tote or two for supplies so you can put everything away. the hardest part for me is not being a packrat- I like to save everything but without space for boxes and boxes of scraps, I do not save many small scraps.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #39

Name: Rosemary
Trailer: Cardinal (Restoring)
California
Thanks Gals for all the good info, my trailer came with the fabric for its windows. I love it but always like a change. Lots of good ideas.
Happy New Year and Happy Camping in 2013
Old 01-07-2013, 03:55 PM   #40

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Jennifer, I have made my own covers and all I can say is that in hindsight it may have been cheaper and *Faster* to buy the ones from Scamp. I at first was going to use a bold fun fabric but decided due to the cost of changing the covers I should probable go with something more simple in fabric design for the main covers and dress it up with the curtains and pillows which are far easier and cheaper to change out often. Scamps fabrics are pretty simple and wear well, the plaid does not really stand out.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #41

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi "Newbie",
I, too, could not stand the plaid of the older model Scamps. I was so happy to know that I could order cushions for my new 2011 Scamp with solid color covers. Although the neutral colors are not very exciting they do work well with many decorating options. I discovered that if I draped fleece blankets (or lengths of fleece from the fabric store) over the cushions they not only instantly changed the decor they served as extra blankets and protected the original cushions. Scamp will send you fabric samples to choose from. As said before, the fabric is very durable. I would advise replacing the 1977 cushions with new cushioning as well as the fabric covering. The new cushions will be fresh, retain their "cushiness", not have "old odor" and will, most likely, be fire resistant to today's standards.

Please see the following interior photos of my Scamp. The original cushion cover is a "breen" color (a cross between a brown and green). The fleece, while a plaid, is a lovely combination of forest green and burgundy and goes well with the curtain panel fabrics of the same colors in an autumn leaf print. This is my only photo of a throw while I do have many others including beach towels from Hawaii which have a traditional sea turtle design in browns and tans which is stunning with my curtain fabric print of little grass shacks and ukuleles.

Cushion covers are not difficult for a seamstress/tailor who has intermediate skills however the heavy fabric will require a heavyweight sewing machine. Often the dry cleaner will have someone on site who has both sewing skills and a heavyweight machine. The cushions and covers will be an investment but they should last for many years if given proper care and protections. Hey, those 1977 cushions lasted a long time.

Good luck with your choices.

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 004.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 040.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #42

Michigan
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Thanks Gals for all the good info, my trailer came with the fabric for its windows. I love it but always like a change. Lots of good ideas.
Happy New Year and Happy Camping in 2013
I had plain beige olefin covers in my UHaul. Neutral but not very interesting. So I changed it up for about $9 a yard from Fabric.com. I've attached before and after pics. I did not get fancy with piping, on the edges. I left the original olefin covers on the cushions and just covered over them. I took off that big back cushion (actually the top bunk in the 'down' position) and replaced with pillows. Cheap, simple and really adds pizzaz!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4474 (Large).JPG   couch.jpg