Fabric and Quilts, Camping style - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat > Hobbies & Passions
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #41

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Hi "Newbie",
I, too, could not stand the plaid of the older model Scamps. I was so happy to know that I could order cushions for my new 2011 Scamp with solid color covers. Although the neutral colors are not very exciting they do work well with many decorating options. I discovered that if I draped fleece blankets (or lengths of fleece from the fabric store) over the cushions they not only instantly changed the decor they served as extra blankets and protected the original cushions. Scamp will send you fabric samples to choose from. As said before, the fabric is very durable. I would advise replacing the 1977 cushions with new cushioning as well as the fabric covering. The new cushions will be fresh, retain their "cushiness", not have "old odor" and will, most likely, be fire resistant to today's standards.

Please see the following interior photos of my Scamp. The original cushion cover is a "breen" color (a cross between a brown and green). The fleece, while a plaid, is a lovely combination of forest green and burgundy and goes well with the curtain panel fabrics of the same colors in an autumn leaf print. This is my only photo of a throw while I do have many others including beach towels from Hawaii which have a traditional sea turtle design in browns and tans which is stunning with my curtain fabric print of little grass shacks and ukuleles.

Cushion covers are not difficult for a seamstress/tailor who has intermediate skills however the heavy fabric will require a heavyweight sewing machine. Often the dry cleaner will have someone on site who has both sewing skills and a heavyweight machine. The cushions and covers will be an investment but they should last for many years if given proper care and protections. Hey, those 1977 cushions lasted a long time.

Good luck with your choices.

Happy Camping!
Gilda
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 004.jpg   SCAMP Interior October 2011 042.jpg  

SCAMP Interior October 2011 040.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #42

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRIZZO View Post
Thanks Gals for all the good info, my trailer came with the fabric for its windows. I love it but always like a change. Lots of good ideas.
Happy New Year and Happy Camping in 2013
I had plain beige olefin covers in my UHaul. Neutral but not very interesting. So I changed it up for about $9 a yard from Fabric.com. I've attached before and after pics. I did not get fancy with piping, on the edges. I left the original olefin covers on the cushions and just covered over them. I took off that big back cushion (actually the top bunk in the 'down' position) and replaced with pillows. Cheap, simple and really adds pizzaz!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4474 (Large).JPG   couch.jpg  

Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:51 AM   #43

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Pam, love what you did! I made the mistake of deciding I had to have the piping. Took a while to cut the fabric correctly and make the yards of the piping needed. The piping is also more than little unforgiving should you not get the fit of the covers spot on. I real pain to try and fix the fit after the seams are done if they have piping attached and you try the covers on the foam for the first time. I thought I had pretty decent sewing skills but I would suggest that only those with really *good* sewing skills bother with the piping.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:59 AM   #44

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Very cute! I like the idea of covering over the old covers. Did you make zippers so they'd come on and off for cleaning?
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #45

Name: Jeff short for Jennifer
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1977
North Carolina
flip flop flip flop on cushion covers

OK I had talked myself into the scamp covers, and still may do it. They are neutral, but I am just not a neutral kinda gal. I was there, I was practical and then I saw those pictures of the fun versions. So....those of you who sew, how much fabric would I need for all the cushions in a 13 foot scamp??? I mentioned 11 yards to a upholster, and they said that would only cover the bunks but not the dinette area.....Now I don't sew, but gee, that seems like a lot of fabric.

I love the idea of not using the top bunk as the back of the couch. That is just too fun to not do.

BTW the plaid I am talking about on our scamp is not a neutral plaid it is yellow and brown and bright, but NOT in a good way. We have some friends that love it, they live for retro. So I know there are people out there who might want these. When I finally have this thing sorted out my old ones can go to someone who wants them, don't want them in the land fill if they can have a new home.
Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:48 PM   #46

Registry
No zippers (no patience for them). I made a fitted top and sides, and made the sides abt 8" longer than they needed to be. I just folded them to the bottom of the cushions and pinned in place. It only took about 5 mins to pin into place for the biggest one. I put a small rug in place where my dog likes to lay to keep them cleaner.
To save money, I didn't cover the bottoms. the old fabric is still covering them. I figure that I saved 1/3 of the total cost doing it this way.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:57 PM   #47

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie View Post
So....those of you who sew, how much fabric would I need for all the cushions in a 13 foot scamp??? I mentioned 11 yards to a upholster, and they said that would only cover the bunks but not the dinette area.....Now I don't sew, but gee, that seems like a lot of fabric.
Attached is a PDF template for a boiler cushions that I used to help figure out how much fabric I would need to do my 16' Scamp cushions. I just had to measure the front bunk cushions to add to it and took the template and the front bunk measurements to a fabric store and they helped me figure out how much I would need.

How much you will need depends on a number of things. The width of the fabric, the pattern of the fabric (stripes take more) if you are going to do a simple wrapped edge or if you are going to do finished boxed sides with zippers. Boxed sides take a fair bit more fabric as the fabric for all the sides will need the added hem allowance as well as they will need to be cut running in the same direction as the main cushion tops. I laid out my fabric completely and had cut out patterns using craft paper of all my cushions before I cut anything. Glad I did that because even though I had purchased an extra yard of fabric to the calculations it still took me awhile shifting pieces around to get it to work out.

Edit forgot to mention that I used *about* 15 yards of material (no stripes) for the covers I did - sorry I didnt keep the paper work to give you the actually amount used but I do know it was 56" wide.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Boilerrearcushiontemplate.pdf (14.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 01-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #48

Registry
BTW the plaid I am talking about on our scamp is not a neutral plaid it is yellow and brown and bright, but NOT in a good way. We have some friends that love it, they live for retro. So I know there are people out there who might want these. When I finally have this thing sorted out my old ones can go to someone who wants them, don't want them in the land fill if they can have a new home.[/QUOTE]

Maybe if you post photos of your cushions, you might find someone who wants trade a more neutral set of covers for your "WOW" plaid?
Old 01-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #49

Registry
Done with the quilt. I used a batting with some loft and a fleece backing so it would be cushy. Not sure I like it but used a self-binding with the fleece. I'm afraid it will end up pulling out. Anyway, should be comfy next chilly morning when I'm sitting in my camp recliner enjoying my coffee!
Attached Thumbnails
image-3862966690.jpg  
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #50

Name: Kathy
Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Washington
Registry
Bobbie - the quilt turned out great!

Pam - I love how you revamped your cushions. The color combinations and the mix of stripe and print fabrics really gave your trailer a cute boost!

I'm about half way through making new slipcovers for all the cushion in our 17' Bigfoot. So far I'm pretty pleased with my progress, but it's been a BIG job. I got my fabric from Fabric.com (what a great resource!). I was originally going to use zipper closures so the covers could be easily removed for laundering, but when I had some trouble sourcing zipper by the yard, I decided to make velcro closures on the advice of one of the clerks at my local fabric store. I must say I think they're going to work quite well.

I really like the look of piping and I've made yards and yards and yards of it for other projects, but I decided against it for these covers. Since these cushions are convertible, used not only as seating but also as something to sleep on, I thought the piping might result in uncomfortable ridges when trying to sleep on the cushions. I found that wrapping the foam cushions in fiberfill (not too thick) batting provided both a smoother, softer feeling, but also a more professional look.

I'll post pictures when I get the job all done!
Evergreengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #51

Registry
[QUOTE=Evergreengirl;355760 I was originally going to use zipper closures so the covers could be easily removed for laundering, but when I had some trouble sourcing zipper by the yard,![/QUOTE]

I have found the most of the larger fabric stores that specialize mostly in home decor materials offer the zippers by the yard. I would be surprised if a place like Jo-Anns didnt as well. I see they do offer a kit on line with 5 1/2 yards and enough pulls to make 12 zippers. 5 1/2 yards would not be enough for all the trailer cushions but perhaps if asked they do sell it in bulk.
Old 01-16-2013, 09:29 PM   #52

California
Registry
New Camper Fleece from JoAnn's

Check out this new camper print fleece from JoAnn's! I can just feel the creative juices flowin'!
Anti Pill Fleece Print- Camping & anti pill fleece at Joann.com
Happy Camping!
Gilda
Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #53

Registry
I almost ordered that for backing but wasn't too thrilled with the colors. It is really cute, though!

Our local Joann's is so crowded and huge and busy and in a section of town that is high traffic that I find it SO much easier to order online unless I'm trying to color-match.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:14 PM   #54

California
Registry
More fabrics...

How about these from JoAnn's? I'm only allowed 8 images per posting. I'll post the other images following this posting. Meanwhile you have the links. These are just some of my themed favorites. Hawaiian/tropical-themed fabric is plentiful. Go to Discount Fabric Warehouse. Better yet, go visit them in Hawaii! Sorry, it's kinda hard to drive your Fiberglass RV there!
Aloha! and Happy Camping!
Gilda

Novelty Cotton Fabric-The Great Northwest & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Wilderness Wild Life & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Fabric- Dks & Branches & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Quilt Fabric- Autumn & Evergreens & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Desert Beauty & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Horses & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Running Horses & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Boots & Company & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Quilt Fabric- Cowboy Up & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Belt Buckles & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Cowboys & Horses & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Southwest Stripe & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Spice Stripe & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Fabric- Aztec Wall & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Congo & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Germantown & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Tribal Scroll & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Quilt Fabric- Boxed Owls & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Quilt Fabric- Victoria Sewing Icons & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- BBQ Spice & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-All Over Peppers & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Dancing Peppers & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Camo Wildlife & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Tropical Vacation & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Seaside Memories & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Ethnic Shapes & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric-Cherry Gingham Black & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Cherrie's & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com

Novelty Cotton Fabric- Traffic Jam & novelty quilt fabric at Joann.com
Old 01-17-2013, 06:45 AM   #58

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
I wish my grandma were still here. I would use the Southwest fabric and have her make me a quilt for the camper. I have lots of her quilts in my house. She used to make our old clothes into block quilts that were fun to get, so you could see your 9th grade homecoming dress and your brother's bathrobe in the quilt and remember.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:28 AM   #59

Registry
For something like that camper fleece, you can make a really warm, comfy quilt with no sewing. Tutorial: Fleece Tie Blankets
Easy to do (you can even be sitting under it while you tie it) and if you buy fleece on sale less than $20 for a blanket up to 54 x 72 inches. Use the camper stuff on one side and anything you want that goes with it on the other side (also fleece.) I have a blanket like this and it is very cozy.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #60

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Thanks, Bobby. I have tied fleece blankets. I love how warm they are. We make them in our volunteer work on Pine Ridge Reservation. I sleep under a horse one right now. I have the fleece to make another one that is extra long, as I am tall, but I have not gotten around to making it. I have to sew it together to make it as wide as I want.
Do you know of a source for fleece that is wider than the typical width, so I can make blankets that are extra wide and extra long? I could not find one when I was looking.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote